Moto Camping | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Camping

The propane burners are very reliable. I don't like the disposable tanks and I don't want to fool around with the barbeque tank.

I use this... http://www.dx.com/p/brs-8-multi-functional-oil-gas-stove-90761#.WduV4nBrwbw

It's been going strong for three years so far. I fill up the fuel bottle at the gas pump when I fill the car or bike. (yes I know gasoline is explosive. I try to avoid fooling around with it in an enclosed space where the vapours can build up to explosive levels)

It also puts out a crazy amount of heat yet can simmer way better than my whisperlite.

As far as refilling the 'disposable' 1lb propane tanks, the points you raised are precisely why the general sheeple shouldn't refill them.

@jeff96

That is a nifty little setup. A BRS knockoff I imagine? Do you have to change jets between fuel and how long have you been using it?

Gasoline is highly flammable, but explosive only when contained under pressure with no relief valve. I draw your attention to flame throwers used in ww2 and later conflicts.

There is a soda can hack that uses gasoline to boil water, but the fumes are dangerous, and it soots up very badly.

https://youtu.be/SMIDJIm5uf0

I think I'd be a little concerned refilling something that was designed to be disposable as opposed to something that was designed for repeated refilling. I can't see the manufacturers going to extra effort to over engineer the canisters due to the extra cost involved.

It calls itself BRS. I don't follow the manufacturers that closely. I would have called it a whisperlite knock off. I started off using naptha, but switched to gas because it's cheaper and easier to get without changing anything. I've been using it about three years. Unlike naptha, the slightest drop of gasoline tends to stink everything up. I leave the tank attached and keep the whole thing in a ziplock freezer bag.

I just mentioned the explosive thing because it always comes up on online forums. You don't need pressure to get a bang out of gasoline; just the right combination of fuel and air. Pour a couple of table spoons of gasoline into an open 55 gal drum. Wait two minutes. Light match. Throw from as far away as possible. Duck. Or better yet, youtube it.

We liked them for canoe trips because you couldn't spill fuel anywhere.
We'd pack them back out, and leave them at the recycling shack with all the others in Algonquin, where I hope they managed to get back to the manufacturers for recycling.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned except for maybe a straw, was a good water filter.
We use an MSR Waterworks, that attaches directly to water bottles, because at one point during a heat wave, we seemed to spend all of our time boiling water.

We liked them for canoe trips because you couldn't spill fuel anywhere.
We'd pack them back out, and leave them at the recycling shack with all the others in Algonquin, where I hope they managed to get back to the manufacturers for recycling.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned except for maybe a straw, was a good water filter.
We use an MSR Waterworks, that attaches directly to water bottles, because at one point during a heat wave, we seemed to spend all of our time boiling water.

I got this https://www.thegrayl.com/ for some trips to Central America. Purifies a cup of water at a time even from a puddle supposedly. Works like a French press and is pretty much foolproof and quick. Filters don't last as long as they should though. I mostly used it with tap water for a mug of water at a time and for things like brushing teeth etc. You could use it for filling larger bottles but it would take a tiny bit more effort to do that. I also have a geigerig pressurized water bladder with inline filter that I've used before that's pretty handy.

Eastern mountain sports (US site) has a sale on right now. FALL20 gets you 20% off one item with not many restrictions. Shipping to Canada was pricey at $27 US but if you pick your item carefully you can save money. I saved $50 CDN vs buying here. I got a big Agnes vestibule add on for the tent I bought a few weeks ago.

is that thing at the top a tiny headrest?

I'm not quite sure what it is for. Maybe to save your neck from the bar?
The white/silver patch at the top is velcro, and the stuff sack can be filled with clothes, and velcroed to it, to form a neck/head rest of sorts.

50l is perfect for tent, bag and sleeping pad all in one.....and it now looks like the 50l has been sold out. Yes the 80 and 100 are too big.
Don't put your dry sleeping bag in with your wet tent.

Ask me how I know... ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Don't put your dry sleeping bag in with your wet tent.

Ask me how I know... ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This past summer, I think I packed up my tent wet almost every single night I camped. Good thing the only thing it shares in the dry bag is my chair and hatchet. Sleeping bag and pad live in the other 30L dry bag.

Back
Top Bottom