Moto Camping | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Camping

The nemo FILO pillow is worth every penny. I have one, I think I have two actually. I did have one of thier airbeam tents a while back. Can’t remember the name of it.....I did not like it at all. Couldn’t sell it fast enough. I like my exped tent because the inner and outer are connected and everything goes up together. Awesome for inclement weather.

No restaurants for me because it’s expensive and every meal out is $10 /20/30 less in my gas tank that day. And I know folks who spend that everyday on meals while touring. 60 bucks of food lasts me a long time....days. And I can control the sugar,salt and fat content of what I eat.

to much food at one meal and I just want to have a nap.

Hey RR,
I go to Newfoundland for a month each year. I tent camp on the way and do gravel pit campin' once I'm on the Rock. You can pretty well camp most places, including peoples lawns, etc. That being said, I pack the usual tenting stuff, have waterproof rucksack for the sleep bag, and the rest in the panniers. Oh yeah...when i can't stand the stink of me anymore, I motel it. I prefer the Keyano motel in Stephenville, NL.
I'm as useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle regarding putting pics up.

Ok thread revival time.

Some recent purchases I made from various sales:

1. Jetboil flash java kit. Haven’t tested it yet as it only came last week and I currently have a bust toe. I was drawn to this as it advertises a 100 second boil time for 500ml of water. Also comes with a coffee press attachment for the pot. This will be my main stove for dehydrated meals and coffee. It’s not so good for fine simmering apparently as it is just optimized for fast boiling. This was about $80 ish from atmosphere on sale. It’s reasonably light and very well made. The neoprene jacket on the pot has an accurate colour change module to let you know when the water has boiled.

2. GSI bugaboo 8” fry pan. Really nice weight to this, it’s not for ultralight set ups but I find lighter pans burn too easily. The handle flips inside the pan and is pretty compact. Nice high sides for a variety of cooking and the size is good for 1-2 people. The Teflon coating looks to be very beefy. I’ll use this with the pocket rocket stove I have as it has a good controllable simmer function. This was about $30 from Amazon. Pricey for a fry pan but this is a really good quality piece of kit.

3. Princeton tec helix basecamp and backcountry lights. These are currently on sale at Sporting Life for a really good price. These are well made LED camp lights. Basecamp is 250 lumens output and backcountry is 150 lumens output. They fold down pretty small and run off 3 AA or AAA for the big and small versions respectively. There a couple of variants of the 150 lumen light. I got the rechargeable one as I can charge it while riding or from a power bank or a solar panel if I want. No need to worry about batteries. Basecamp is $39, rechargeable backcountry is $39 but the biggest bargain is the non rechargeable backcountry light for $25. These are all considerably reduced in price right now. https://princetontec.com/product/helix-backcountry/

Lots of hanging options, with or without the shade. Makes a decent spotlight. Not a glaring bright white light so easier on the eyes. Has red light option for night vision. Has strobe option on both red or white to use as an emergency beacon. I can see a red strobe light being handy for a nighttime breakdown.

Picked up a Nemo Fillo as per the recommendations above, I love it. Fills up with a few puffs, and compresses just as fast.

Bought it from ScoutTech Outfitters. Online store based in Mississauga, price was as competitive as anywhere else and came in a few days.

Picked up an Eco Tek Outdoors Hybern8 sleeping pad off Amazon for a recent week trip on Spanish River. $60. Super comfortable and quick to blow up.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Inflateable? It’s worth getting a pump bag to blow those up with otherwise hot breath can make the insides mouldy! I should check my travel tire inflater pump to see if there’s an adapter. I use a pump bag though and it doubles as a stuff bag.

The Jetboil is a very impressive bit of kit. Seriously fast at boiling water. 100 seconds for 500ml. I’m not sure it would be good for cooking, once you switch it on you understand why it’s called a Jetboil. The thing sounds like a fighter taking off. The java kit that came with my version is also really really good. Made some really good coffee from the thing. It’s a neat collapsible French press attachment. Everything fits inside the Jetboil water container so it’s reasonable compact. I think this is going to be my main camp stove. I may take a pocket rocket with me if I decide to do any cooking that requires simmering though and also because I got a thermacell camp stove attachment too that runs off canister gas.

great post, thanks. what kind of exped downmat did you get? I have been struggling with mats (and pillows) for years...the opposite of goldilocks...non is just right! b.t.w. if you care about coffee in the morning, I mean really care, get yourself an Aeropress coffee maker...a tad bulky, but no weight at all, and great coffee (I always bring an arrabica dark roast...)...cheers,

The Jetboil is a very impressive bit of kit. Seriously fast at boiling water. 100 seconds for 500ml. I’m not sure it would be good for cooking, once you switch it on you understand why it’s called a Jetboil. The thing sounds like a fighter taking off. The java kit that came with my version is also really really good. Made some really good coffee from the thing. It’s a neat collapsible French press attachment. Everything fits inside the Jetboil water container so it’s reasonable compact. I think this is going to be my main camp stove. I may take a pocket rocket with me if I decide to do any cooking that requires simmering though and also because I got a thermacell camp stove attachment too that runs off canister gas.
I have just a regular packable camp stove and it also sounds like a jet taking off. I just got a new burner for it called "Quiet Stove" that is much quieter though except it doesn't light as well. Goes crazy and shoots fireballs until it's warmed up. I run mine on gasoline so I don't have to carry multiple types of fuel.

great post, thanks. what kind of exped downmat did you get? I have been struggling with mats (and pillows) for years...the opposite of goldilocks...non is just right! b.t.w. if you care about coffee in the morning, I mean really care, get yourself an Aeropress coffee maker...a tad bulky, but no weight at all, and great coffee (I always bring an arrabica dark roast...)...cheers,
I just gave away my Aeropress. I found it to be a lot of work just to brew a single cup of coffee. Then start all over for the second cup. Recently got a collapsible coffee filter holder you just put on top of your mug but I found it also plugs up after the first cup and then for the second the water just sits in the top and never flows through. Still looking for a better solution.

I got a really good air mattress from MEC that packs to about the size of a large Nalgene bottle. It's big enough for two people to sleep on comfortably.

What do you bring, a pic of it loaded on your bike.
How has it evolved for you?
What would you change about your setup given the money or time?
e345bab6fcc105a28ce2d4c03d12afb6.jpg

that dog is too cute!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I just gave away my Aeropress. I found it to be a lot of work just to brew a single cup of coffee. Then start all over for the second cup. Recently got a collapsible coffee filter holder you just put on top of your mug but I found it also plugs up after the first cup and then for the second the water just sits in the top and never flows through. Still looking for a better solution.

I've been using this for years. Big Sky Bistro. Mug and French press in one. Have been camping for 30 years only missing a few.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4008-946/Bistro-Coffee-Press

The hipsters have gotten into instant coffee. Prepackaged coffee in individual packets. Apparently it's pretty good, though I haven't tried it. Starbucks makes a supposedly decent mainstream alternative.

Personally, I do a lazy cowboy coffee. Throw some boiling water in a mug, add a spoon of coffee grinds. Let sit for five minutes, drink.

All these fancy stoves. I always have one of these as a backup though. Several different designs. Here's the easiest one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mIWh3YXdU4

https://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/2018/11/stoveaholic-yes-i-have-problem.html

Ummm... Yeah.

IMG_0460.JPG

I was playing around with the butane gas and alcohol stove this year, but my absolute favorite is at the bottom of the page, my SVEA123R. It nests in the two pots that double as a tea mug and cook pot, and can burn red gas straight out of the tank (I prefer running it on white gas).

20180409_221322.jpg

That SVEA123R is a nice looking stove! Wish I had stumbled on that before buying a Primus Omnifuel II. The SV looks much simpler, looks like it packs nicer, and may be cheaper.

The hipsters have gotten into instant coffee. Prepackaged coffee in individual packets. Apparently it's pretty good, though I haven't tried it. Starbucks makes a supposedly decent mainstream alternative.

Personally, I do a lazy cowboy coffee. Throw some boiling water in a mug, add a spoon of coffee grinds. Let sit for five minutes, drink.

If I'm going to make coffee I throw grounds into a pot of boiling water. let it go for about 5 minutes and then let the pot sit a minute or 2. The grounds sink and then you're good to go.

All that said the usual routine is our last warm beer from the night before while breaking camp and then maybe we stop for breakfast or maybe not until a chip truck appears around lunch time.

Unless it's something on a stick over an open fire cooking means cleaning dishes and that's just something I don't want to do while camping. We often camp rough and potable water is limited.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom