Moto Camping | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Camping

I think the Big Agnes is only a pound heavier than the Redverz. I just like the idea of being able to stand up and move around more easily.

I wish this had a like button.

I'm 50 and not as limber in the morning as I would like.

I can definitely relate to the desire for a taller tent. :)

I can only do a hobbit impression for so long before my back starts to complain.

Lol. You should see me trying to get it together for a midnight pee. I fear for the tent.

A little digging.....the Redverz tent is only warrantied for 2 years to the original owner. Big Agnes doesn't care who the owner is apparently and reports are that their customer service is top notch. I contacted the kijijii seller and the Redverz tent is 2 years old and has been kept sealed. My worries would be about any issues with the tent in terms of warranty and also whether there could be an issue with waterproofing on the material. I had a brand new tent that I kept in storage once for a year or so and the waterproofing on the fly had turned sticky and delaminated in a weird way. I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a tent and have no warranty at all. Thoughts?

A little digging.....the Redverz tent is only warrantied for 2 years to the original owner. Big Agnes doesn't care who the owner is apparently and reports are that their customer service is top notch. I contacted the kijijii seller and the Redverz tent is 2 years old and has been kept sealed. My worries would be about any issues with the tent in terms of warranty and also whether there could be an issue with waterproofing on the material. I had a brand new tent that I kept in storage once for a year or so and the waterproofing on the fly had turned sticky and delaminated in a weird way. I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a tent and have no warranty at all. Thoughts?

The Big Agnes looks better in that light.

I told the kijiji seller that I had posted his ad in this thread....he proceeded to tell me he wasn't new to "motorcycling" and had travelled the world...blah blah blah. Odd reply to someone who is trying to help you out. I wouldn't have any fear buying a 2 year old new tent but the Big Agnes sounds like one which would make you happier in the long run. Go for it.

I'm really just surprised that a tent as pricey as the Redverz is only warrantied for 2 years. I asked the seller for photos and he said he wasn't willing to take them out their boxes. I would have been happy with pictures of the sealed boxes too. It's a lot of cash to trust a stranger off kijijii with.

Trangia Lamp / Candle / Lantern

I've been playing around with the Trangia clone I bought on fleabay.

124690f92901ac27ddb8294214ad0e2c.jpg

And I found this reference to using it as a lantern / lamp:

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/trangia-lantern-candle.55884/

I then found a small piece of cotton candle wick (the diameter is a bit too small at the moment) and gave the idea a test run:

93d36b725b33a90ebe6a3bde09cdcc1c.jpg

a07bd5b55e38d81e0798f5188ce0cfdd.jpg

And it works a treat! I had to share another use for this great stove. Now I'm thinking of cutting another bottom out of a beer can and making a wick for my existing beer can stoves, because I can.

24c4fd351107f4e9f68c9dc6c182fff2.jpg

Curious to know what are your top foods for taking on the road?

What works for you and also what to avoid.

I use the MSR Dragonfly stove and as mentioned before, it's pretty loud. Awesome little stove though, fast to boil and simmers really nice.

For food on the road, I keep it really simple now. Just use the stove for mostly oats and tea for breakfast. If I was heading away from town for a few days, then soups, rice or pasta for lunches and dinners. I have yet to try any of the packets I see in the outdoor stores. Some of them look pretty good.

I use the MSR Dragonfly stove and as mentioned before, it's pretty loud. Awesome little stove though, fast to boil and simmers really nice.

For food on the road, I keep it really simple now. Just use the stove for mostly oats and tea for breakfast. If I was heading away from town for a few days, then soups, rice or pasta for lunches and dinners. I have yet to try any of the packets I see in the outdoor stores. Some of them look pretty good.

I got a bunch of those packets of dehydrated food on sale from Atmosphere I think....no idea what they taste like yet but they sure sound nice. My suspicion is that if I eat them one of two things will happen...either I will not **** for a week or the opposite.

Dry bags are pretty useful for quite a few things and I find the ones in camping stores too expensive for what they are. Just bought this off Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LSC284U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Decent quality and a decent price. Im going to order some bigger ones. I want to get one to put a tent in for a bit more protection. I use a small one for shower gear/toiletries or for packing spillable stuff. Lots of different colours if you want to colour code stuff (if you're that way inclined).

I gone expeditioning and with dehydrated food packs, as I've aged both results have happened to me in the go no go scenario. Unless there is no option i'll just eat the real food thanks. Its very hard to be away from a Grocer for more than 36hrs in North America

I used to do breakfast and tea at the campsite, this year I tried breakfast and supper at the campsite, and my last trip I tried to pack it all.

That rapidly turned into quite a heavy load as I had a few tinned items.

Last edited:
This brings up a good question. What do you guys cook while on the road?

Though I bring a stove and cookset on every camping trip, most of the time I eat out.

If I do cook, my default is Mac and Cheese for dinner, fried eggs and sausage for breakfast. Both cheap and easy to find at many gas stations.

Can't think of much else that needs zero prep and is quick and easy to make after a long day of riding.

kabobs
canned chili
canned stew
omlettes , sometimes on a bun, croissont
beans and black olives, with a roll
sausage and grapes (italian staple, seedless grapes cook down and make a sauce for sausage)
stir fry, most grocers have pre sliced stuff if lazy, bring a few baggies of spices and make a sauce
rice pilaf
fake rissotto
pan fry chicken breast, boxed mash potatos
pan fry small steak, slice put on salad
scrambled eggs and tomatoes

all take under five mins prep time, people are too paranoid (IMO) about refridgeration, dont leave a steak in the sun but it can be in a wrapped towel for hrs if it started frozen

kabobs
canned chili
canned stew
omlettes , sometimes on a bun, croissont
beans and black olives, with a roll
sausage and grapes (italian staple, seedless grapes cook down and make a sauce for sausage)
stir fry, most grocers have pre sliced stuff if lazy, bring a few baggies of spices and make a sauce
rice pilaf
fake rissotto
pan fry chicken breast, boxed mash potatos
pan fry small steak, slice put on salad
scrambled eggs and tomatoes

all take under five mins prep time, people are too paranoid (IMO) about refridgeration, dont leave a steak in the sun but it can be in a wrapped towel for hrs if it started frozen

You can buy a thermal "reflectix " bag at the grocery stores or a similar lunch bag to extend the life of fresh food.

I like your thinking.

I have the Redverz tent, I like the idea of it especially on rainy days having the large garage area to sit in and being able to stand up straight in it. I could care less about having a garage for my bike while camping. I have only used the tent 2 or 3 times and realized I am not a huge fan of it. Packs large, is a pain to set up solo and is not free standing. I much prefer my small 2 man tent that I can set up in 5 mins and packs down nice and small and can be strapped to a lid of my pannier.
IMG_0500 by B P, on Flickr

I dunno bout this moto camping business, the thought is super appealing but I seem to attract all the creatures I was told I'd be lucky to see. Black bears in Algonquin (watch "Backcountry" on netflix, minus I didn't get mauled to death), Moose in Nova scotia while on a hiking trail. I'm kinda not interested in whats next...and no i'm not carrying around a magic bottle of unicorn piss to attract these guys.

I actually inquired about this years ago prior to these camping trips and got flamed huge for asking about protection while camping. Oh well, maybe I should keep to motels and leave the Bear Grylls adventures for you guys. lol

Back
Top Bottom