Moto Camping | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Camping

348013f3354f4305e0b603cf3493e401.jpg

Doing a three day run into the heart and Hartland of New Brunswick.

be54d010f670b50624f6129d47b1f4ca.jpg

d48c016eb5c13a8583b1d64d21963d63.jpg

I don't know about the tarp, but I think it looks really interesting from a lightweight packing for dual sport adventure. Great idea, and it looks like a decent price unless someone can find a fleabay clone?

I'll spring for it and see how it is. Looks like it will pack away to nothing.

8 minutes isn't too bad. My OmniFuel II takes about 3 for a litre of water on 91 octane.

Think of all the beer you can buy for that kind of money! (For, ahem, more stoves of course)

What do you do with all the time you save? Drink beer? ;)

Think of all the beer you can buy for that kind of money! (For, ahem, more stoves of course)

What do you do with all the time you save? Drink beer? ;)
Yeah the stove ain't cheap. Especially since I added a non-childproof cap to the fuel bottle (the childproof one is annoying) and a QuietStove flame spreader (also way too much money).

And yeah, pretty much drink beer. Maybe go for a hike. But probably just drink beer.

To add fuel to the fire (sorry), this just arrived from fleabay:

c83bb5bed7e162788f16d65876073ed3.jpg

Not bad for just a touch over $10.

That looks like the first generation of the Firebox.

http://www.fireboxstove.com/

Folds flat to about 3-5mm thick. It's pretty heavy and almost rubbed a hole through the side of my top case during a trip. Have to remember to wrap it with something next time.

I saw Mark Victor review something similar:

https://youtu.be/d-weoaZbJqo

I'm not to keen on the cleanup, so would want it in a stuff sack to keep soot off my gear.

I've seen a really cheap one on fleabay that also doubles as a pot stand windscreen for alcohol burners:

a07b7ede3fcdd0b1d20878f7e3a0c2fd.jpg

I'm not sure it fits my style though.

I'm going to be trying out a DPower stove with a butane gas adapter when the slow boat comes in:

5f69d88d5886a1699d6757e3b6a03d69.jpg

Not bad for $14 dollars and the adapter at $4 will allow me to use the cheaper butane aerosol cans sold in packs of three for ten bucks at CTC.

Did I mention I'm a stoveaholic? :)

The soot was also concerning for me but it also works with other fuel sources. I use mine with a trangia burner which produces no soot. The idea of being able to use wood as fuel in a pinch is appealing to me.

So along with my ultralight tent I thought it might be nice to have something a bit roomier to use as a "basecamp" if I'm staying in place for a few days. I looked at the Redverz tents but I can't justify spending nearly $800 on a tent (the solo tent) plus I'm never going to use the garage on one of those tents as an actual garage. So I saw this recently on a close out https://www.backcountryedge.com/big-agnes-big-house-4-deluxe.html it's about the same weight as the Redverz and you can add a large vestibule to it for another $130. You can stand up comfortably in the Big Agnes tent and it's guaranteed for life too I believe. Apparently the "4" is a bit misleading. You can get 4 people in with a bit of a squeeze but it's extremely roomy for 2 or total luxury for 1. I like my other Big Agnes camping gear so I'm seriously thinking about this. Thoughts?

(yes I know the price is in US, and you have to pick this up over the border, they don't ship to Canada).

Last edited:
So along with my ultralight tent I thought it might be nice to have something a bit roomier to use as a "basecamp" if I'm staying in place for a few days. I looked at the Redverz tents but I can't justify spending nearly $800 on a tent (the solo tent) plus I'm never going to use the garage on one of those tents as an actual garage. So I saw this recently on a close out https://www.backcountryedge.com/big-agnes-big-house-4-deluxe.html it's about the same weight as the Redverz and you can add a large vestibule to it for another $130. You can stand up comfortably in the Big Agnes tent and it's guaranteed for life too I believe. Apparently the "4" is a bit misleading. You can get 4 people in with a bit of a squeeze but it's extremely roomy for 2 or total luxury for 1. I like my other Big Agnes camping gear so I'm seriously thinking about this. Thoughts?

(yes I know the price is in US, and you have to pick this up over the border, they don't ship to Canada).

11lbs is pretty heavy, so I'll assume it will take up your backseat.

Big is right!

I can't see myself in a redverz either.

I like freestanding, especially useful when you set up on harder surfaces like gravel or even concrete. Easy to move around the campsite.

I find my two man to be large enough, but YMMV.

Aren't you using a hammock system now?

Just came across this today in Kijiji....great price. Sounds like you already made your mind up about the Redverz. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-cam...le/1291953096?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

11lbs is pretty heavy, so I'll assume it will take up your backseat.

Big is right!

I can't see myself in a redverz either.

I like freestanding, especially useful when you set up on harder surfaces like gravel or even concrete. Easy to move around the campsite.

I find my two man to be large enough, but YMMV.

Aren't you using a hammock system now?

nah....I couldn't last in a hammock. I need a bit of room to move. I think this big Agnes is freestanding, the redverz definitely isn't . My ultralight tent is fine but I was thinking of times when I might base myself somewhere for a bit and want a bit of luxury.

Back
Top Bottom