2003 V Star 1100 Classic | GTAMotorcycle.com

2003 V Star 1100 Classic

ALD

I just picked up my V Star 1100 the other day and getting used to it from riding a 400cc scooter for three years.
In regards with shifting when I am in forth what speed can I get up to before switching to fifth as I do not have a tach.
Also I do not have a gas gauge indicator, has anyone modified their tank with one.

I just picked up my V Star 1100 the other day and getting used to it from riding a 400cc scooter for three years.
In regards with shifting when I am in forth what speed can I get up to before switching to fifth as I do not have a tach.
Also I do not have a gas gauge indicator, has anyone modified their tank with one.

You'll learn to feel if you are lugging the motor (or revving too high). As a first step, you should have some acceleration in 5th, if you open the throttle and not much happens, you probably switched up too early.

Don't worry about a gas gauge, they are entirely overrated. You will figure out quite quickly how far you go before switching to reserve.

EDIT:

If you feel the need for a tach while you get used to the bike, TinyTachs are ~$50 and are self powered so temporary installation is easy. You just wrap the pickup wire around a spark plug wire and stick the box where you can see it with double sided tape. Not nearly as fancy as many bike tachs, but they do the job, they are cheap and they can be repurposed after for lawnmowers, outboards, generators, or anything else you want after you get used to the bike.

Last edited:
Learn to set your trip meter every time you fill up. My bike runs about 250km before I start to worry about a refill.

5th gear starts around 80kms/hour as long as you aren't pushing it (going up a hill, carrying a passenger). Don't need a fuel gauge - 200kms and fill up. If you hit reserve you still have more than enough to hit a gas station.

Make sure to get the hang of switching to reserve so that you don't end up in a difficult situation if you run out

Back
Top Bottom