CBC Article - Motorcycle deaths could hit 7-year high, OPP says | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC Article - Motorcycle deaths could hit 7-year high, OPP says

theassaissin: I can tell you that today the police are held to a MUCH higher standard than they were as you say 20 years ago. I know I was a copper beginning in the late 70's. We had NO SIU, NO real internal affairs, (or in today's lingo Professional Standards Branch). There was in deed VERY little in the way of any oversight. I know officers who lied on the stand, some got caught and usually at worst you got called to one of the senior officers offices and told to be "on your best behaviour". I know of officers who were caught stealing, (usually unless they were a new recruit or rookie), they either got asked to resign or in some cases got a warning or reprimand.

Now was it right? Not at all but that is how it was. Today they would all be fired and or charged without reservation. I freely admit it,there are some bad officers it is human nature and if you put enough people of ANY profession together you are going to find some who are bad apples. Police officers are human too. Now reading your postings you seem to be of the belief that EVERY officer is a lying, cheating, stealing criminal. I question just how it is that you seemed to get soooo many tickets, yet from "appearances" of your posts you were innocent every time and the officers only obtained a conviction based on lies.

I can tell you the VAST majority of officers are honest and hard working people who are doing a very challenging and demanding job. Today's officer is subject to many layers of oversight, as well as citizen video and cell cameras. The opportunity for an officer to get away, with all the issues you lump upon them all is very much less than it was 20 or more years ago. I had a college degree when I joined, which was highly unusual back then 5 years prior to me joining the force the "average" education level was GRADE 3!!! but that was different time. Parents drove around with kids on the back window platform behind the rear seat in big cars, no one wore a seatbelt, helmets weren't required. Society has changed. Today's candidate MUST have as a bare minimum a BA, many have a masters degree.

Are there still incidents were officers do wrong, there certainly are, and like many others I am the first to say so, (I usually wait to hear the results f the investigation and BOTH sides of the story. From your posts you make it clear there is NO need to wait the cop is ALWAYS wrong despite the circumstances. During the G20 some officers, (there were in excess of 5,000 officers) did wrong. A G20 type scenario is a very difficult and nearly impossible task for the average officer. When I worked the only one I ever had to work it was only the G7..lol But it still had very difficult challenges that the average officer including myself are NEVER trained to deal with. MOST officers only get VERY VERY limited crowd control training at the academy. For some that could have been 20+ years ago.

But as a another member posted wisely in this thread, if one goes thru life treating every interaction with officers from the point of view they are automatically corrupt and bad then those interactions are likely not to be pleasant.

Trebororr above posted his experience as a driver examiner. Now we have all heard of cases were service Ontario staff were charged with fudging driving tests or issuing fake licences etc. Does that mean he too must have also been corrupt and a bad person because someone else who happened to have the same occupation was caught wrong doing?

Back
Top Bottom