CBC Article - Motorcycle deaths could hit 7-year high, OPP says | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC Article - Motorcycle deaths could hit 7-year high, OPP says

Gentlemen, gentlemen. Who really gives a squirt about what stats are who and where the bikes are what. The POINT here, I would say, is to be careful on these sometimes insane roads. You don't need to make that yellow light or pass that car before the next sweeper. Just relaaaax. And remember, keep fit and have fun!

I can hardly beleive that I just read this in the comments below the article. This make me sick...

sailor98

Seriously? Let those who want to die a horrible mangled death do it and let the rest of us get on with important matters.. like really good coffee. Nature wants to take care of these people in her own way. Let her.

sailor98

Seriously? Let those who want to die a horrible mangled death do it and let the rest of us get on with important matters.. like really good coffee. Nature wants to take care of these people in her own way. Let her.

Ronda Rousey should beat this guy (or girl) up

EDIT: Ronda Rousey should inflict a horrible mangled death upon this guy (or girl)

Last edited:
I'm all for making ABS standard on all new motorcycles for street riding. I think it will reduce the number of accidents anyway.
Don't put all your trust with ABS. Ive been I'm an accident and although ABS helped a bit I wasn't totally saved..

Higher age does not mean that someone has been riding for many years, and high number of years riding does not mean someone is experienced. Even people with loads of years and experience may be practicing the same bad skills over many, many kms. Example: I'm 44 and am in my 5th riding season. I've taken courses, practice in parking lots late at night, and ride 12-15000 km per season without touring. I consider myself a newb and read as much as I can find about technique and riding theory. Guy I work with has been riding for 20 years, has never taken a course, rides 1500 km in a "good" season (but holy cow is his bike shiny), and still doesn't know which tire track to ride in on multi lane roads. The "I've been riding since before you were born" argument only holds up if it is backed with real experience and effective technique. I very easily could have been a statistic a few nights ago when an idiot on an SS essentially lane split with me while he was passing a truck on a 2 lane hwy. The issue larger than him passing against a solid line, up a hill, was that he lane split with me GOING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS! Stats tell one side of a multi sided story, and can easily be manipulated to show bias. This article also leaves out the deaths in relation to motorcycle involved accidents. For a multitude of reasons, riding is not always safe. There is technology that makes it safer, techniques that make it safer, courses, experience, etc, but with so many variables, it will never be 100% safe. The same can be said about walking, driving, boating, sleeping, f****ng, whatever, but this article is about riding. Moral of the story: Do what you can to not become a stat.

Not that I know alot of people that ride but, every young person i know that rides has taken a motorcycle safety course and at least owns proper gear. Zero of the 40 and over guys who I work with have taken a course, zero have a full face helmet and only a couple have a real motorcycle jacket.

Not that I know alot of people that ride but... Me (44) and two ladies (35, 55) ride in full gear in our company. Two young fellows around 30 - T-Shirts and helmets. Stats vary. What OPP and CBC don't say is the number of 50+ and 25- riders.

You guys cant categorize the tshirts and helmet theory into this thread here is why..

A jacket and riding pants is not going to save your life in a 100 km crash. It will save your skin and your joint bones if you survive.

You die from massive trauma to head and spine and neck.. In most crashes where the person experiences direct trauma to these regions the squid and the guy dressed like a tank are one and same.

The gear only helps to save you in crashes that do not offer trauma to vital parts.

So it does not really apply to the stats here

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Also the fatality rates are up but have we considered

1. More riders
2. Bigger cc bikes.. No one is buying cb200 cb350 cruisers and loving it anymore
3. More "protective gear" giving false sense of protection
4. More cars on the road
5. Texting !!!
6. More bad drivers

1. More riders
2. Bigger cc bikes.. No one is buying cb200 cb350 cruisers and loving it anymore
4. More cars on the road
5. Texting !!!
6. More bad drivers

You forgot more bad riders.

Correct you are !

The sooner they bring in demerits and a $1k fine for distracted driving, the better. Everyday I see so many people with their face buried into their phones while driving. Two have almost taken me out.

Correct you are !

The sooner they bring in demerits and a $1k fine for distracted driving, the better. Everyday I see so many people with their face buried into their phones while driving. Two have almost taken me out.

for sure. Easy money for the Cops.

People have been txting and messaging for years. My phone was capable of doing it in 2001 (With the Original FIDO as it was GSM Based) Wasnt until Robbers/Bell/telus changed their tech to get the latest handsets that txt/email messaging became popular. Its the past 5-7yrs with the rise of smartphones and things like Farcebook, Twitter etc that have helped this becoming a problem.

Soon people will be taking companies like BB, Apple, samsung to court due to their "Addiction" - just like they did with cigarette companies a few years ago.

I'm all for making ABS standard on all new motorcycles for street riding. I think it will reduce the number of accidents anyway.

But where does it stop? Does a linked brake system come next? Do we limit the maximum HP output with a government controlled ECU?

Part of what makes riding something I take pride in is the unforgiving aspect of it. Most of us have been down. The riders that get better are the ones that learn and don't repeat the same mistakes. Why do you think so many car drivers suck? Cars are easier to drive, you're hidden from the elements, you've got 4 tires and can't possible flip the car (unless you're REALLY stupid).

I say leave the bikes the way they are and focus on the weakest link: THE RIDER. The government has done a surprisingly fine job drawing bikes with a "WATCH OUT FOR THEM IN YOUR BLIND SPOT" on the 401 e-board thingies, maybe it's time they educate wannabe or newbie riders about common mistakes somehow. If speed is one of the main categories for deaths, I'd say you can split those down to:

1. Wrong place, wrong time. Popping a wheelie in traffic is a stupid idea. Doing 100+ ANY city street is a stupid idea. I don't care if it's 4AM. I used to get drunk and wobble my *** across the street at 4AM
  2. Riding above your limits. If your body/mind is screaming "SLOW DOWN", you SLOW THE HELL DOWN because the only thing waiting for you isn't a big checkered flag, it's the Grim Reaper with his cock about to impale your eye socket.

I've ridden with less experienced ppl in the past 2 seasons. They listen when you tell them these things. A lot of them just don't know any better...and the majority of street riders are not exactly role models.

油井緋色;2215920 said:
The government has done a surprisingly fine job drawing bikes with a "WATCH OUT FOR THEM IN YOUR BLIND SPOT" on the 401 e-board thingies, maybe it's time they educate wannabe or newbie riders about common mistakes somehow.

I think one of the guys working in the control room is a biker (he posted here a few years ago) and he heklped push to get these messages out there.

I would hope that at least one rider on each bike is driving.

semantics? ;-)

I like to say I ride a motorcycle, not drive it. Like I ride a bicycle.

Seriously ? Do you honestly believe this? Why not add a few more choice considerations then:

More abs giving false sense of protection
Better tires giving a false sense of protection
Better suspension giving a false sense of protection
etc etc etc......

As mentioned earlier the report likely only deals with OPP investigated crashes. I work in a big city and as part of my job get to go to a lot of crashes. While not all deaths they are usually nasty - ancedotal take is -

1. Majority are kids with no gear
2. Most are the kids fault for driving like squid - yes the car may turn left in front of you but if your doing 150k ina 70k zone don't be surprised - they don't see you and if they do don't realize how fast you are going
3. Where it is not the riders fault it almost always involves either a cage turning in front or pulling out of a drive

As to another post - Gear helps - road rash is like third degree burns - get enough and its skin grafts and high risk of fatal infections. Yes it won't stop a snapped neck or other fatal injury but since that is not the general outcome maybe you want to worry a bit more about the other types of crash most of us have. I have a small patch of road rash from the track where my suit burned through but that was a long slide at over 140mph.

As awlays its up to you what to wear and how to ride but think your arguments and reasons through

Back
Top Bottom