CBC Article - Motorcycle deaths could hit 7-year high, OPP says | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC Article - Motorcycle deaths could hit 7-year high, OPP says

I'm a little older than the age group you're referencing, but I got mine 'the old way'.
MTO was at Woolco Plaza.
..... Gary, that takes me way back to when I was a kid, no mall (traditional anyways) there any more...

I think everyone should have to be re-tested, let's say every 5 yrs. Ditch the e-test nonsense. How's that sound? (G license too)

+1

I think the death rate alludes to one's ability to bounce down the pavement with the skin being ripped from one's body, climaxing into a sudden stop from being imbedded by a fixed object, diminishing as one ages. Younger, stronger people will naturally survive more serious accidents, and motorcyle accidents are roughly equivalent to being "thrown clear" from a car. Also, many younger people would be hopefully saving their money for a house, rather than a motorcycle, so I imagine the number of older riders would be increasing faster. This highlights the the inherent weakness of unsupported stats. You can use them to prove almost any point of view. Just add your own suppositions and contexts.

Hi-viz? We don't need no stinkin' hi-viz wife beaters!

Wife_Beater.jpg

Hi-Vis-Singlet-14380932544.jpg

..... Gary, that takes me way back to when I was a kid, no mall (traditional anyways) there any more...

+1
I'm against another fee and another two or three hours of my unpaid time off.

Ontario is a nanny state, and I scarce see the need for retesting ALL of us because of these stats.

This doesn't consider the amount of new motorcyclist this year. The # of motorcyclists has exploded in the last few years. It has become almost a fad to ride a motorcycle now. I remember when I started it was a selected few who ride & almost everyone told me how dangerous it was. Even gear & accessories were limited & expensive.

Just something to consider in that stat

These stats seem a bit low to me... the article makes a mention of them being OPP investigated fatalities. Does that exclude fatal accidents that would be handled by a local police force?

Bike sales have been shrinking for years
You have stats for that?
Sports bike sales had shrink a lot. Beginner bikes are on the rise

Bike sales have been shrinking for years

true, but what about the used bike market? Theres a ton imported from the USA too

These stats seem a bit low to me... the article makes a mention of them being OPP investigated fatalities. Does that exclude fatal accidents that would be handled by a local police force?

I believe that's correct.

I'm against another fee and another two or three hours of my unpaid time off.

Ontario is a nanny state, and I scarce see the need for retesting ALL of us because of these stats.

agreed we don't need more nanny state oversight, but I am not against oversight that adds real accountability. whether this is the right means, maybe you are right, but some type of change is needed.

The sale of street bikes are on the decline.

No, actually improving:

Category - Street

2009 39,007
2010 34,342
2011 30,898
2012 32,598
2013 34,372

This is a much more interesting bit of info:

35hpt9g.jpg

IMO this is a much more accurate representation of motorcycles and other two wheeled vehicles on our roads compared to counting units sold. Things like Kijiji have drastically changed the market in the last five years. While it was always possible to buy a used bike, the growing accessibility of the Internet, smartphones, data plans, and sites like Kijiji, Craigslist, and our very own GTAM, make it easier, more popular, and more common than ever before to find and buy a used machine. My point being new unit sales have little relevance to quantity of motorcycles on our roads. Especially new riders, who are definitely a significant portion of the fatality rate. I would be very curious to see that same OPP list broken down into riders by # of years licensed.

The Ontario Road Safety Reports can be found here: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/orsar/
The latest report is 2011: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/orsar/orsar11/ontario-road-safety-annual-report-2011.pdf

Page 16 shows some detail for the Number and Rate of Motorcycle Fatalities:

"Motorcycle registrations increased 4 per cent from 211,536 in 2010 to 220,026 in 2011. At the same time,
motorcycle rider fatalities decreased from 47 in 2010 to 38 in 2011.
"

"Over the long term, between 1992 and 2011, there has been a 63 per cent decline in the fatality rate per 10,000
motorcycle registrations.
"

"Over the long term, between 1992 and 2011, there has been a 63 per cent decline in the fatality rate per 10,000
"

There's some good real hard data! God forbid we reach the aforementioned seven year high in sheer quantity of deaths, but a 63% decrease in a much more tangent, contextualized calculation, is something to be proud of!

Ontario has definitely been working on making the roads safer for motorcycles and more bike friendly! I've only been riding for a measly five years, and when I started, I don't recall seeing the "check your mirrors for motorcycles" signs above the highway like we do now, not to mention motorcycle-specific parking spots popping up around town! We've got a long way to go but w00t for Ontario, a wicked place to live and ride!

Last edited:
"

Auto fatalities are down 25%, and the main credit is ABS and EST now standard on all new cars.

But, fatality numbers are a fraction of the story, no one seems to care about non - fatal crashes with serious injury.

Back
Top Bottom