CBC Article - Motorcycle deaths could hit 7-year high, OPP says | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC Article - Motorcycle deaths could hit 7-year high, OPP says

The Ontario Provincial Police say the number of people killed in motorcycle accidents could hit a seven-year high.
Police say 26 riders have died so far in 2014, with at least two more months of the season left to go.
OPP say while the majority of bikers abide by the law, there are a "careless few" who don't.
For example earlier this this month, OPP Aircraft Enforcement Patrol (AEP) clocked a motorcyclist travelling at 210 kilometres per hour, charging him under Ontario's stunt driving law.
"The OPP believes that Ontario motorcyclists in general recognize that they are a vulnerable road user and demonstrate safe, defensive driving," said OPP Deputy Commissioner Brad Blair.
The OPP released the following data to address what they say are some common myths about motorcycle deaths.
[h=2]OPP points to 'myths' about motorcycle deaths[/h]
Myth: Young, inexperienced motorcyclists are the most vulnerable, at-risk riders and account for the largest number of victims who die in motorcycle crashes in Ontario.
Fact: From 2008 to 2014 (as of Aug. 18), only 16 of the 175 motorcyclists who have died on Ontario roads were under the age of 25. The age group with the highest rate of fatality is the 45-54 year group, which comprises 48 of the 175 victims. The second highest age group is the 55-64 year group, with 39 victims in that category. Combined, these two age groups account for almost half of the fatalities (87).

Myth: Those who die in motorcycle crashes are doing something wrong at the time of the incident. Like other drivers, motorcyclists can avoid crashes if they drive properly and within the law.
Fact: Between 2008 and 2014, for 50 of the 175 motorcycle victims, the driver of the motorcycle was driving properly at the time.
Myth: Motorcyclists are at far greater risk of crashing when riding on wet roads.
Fact: While it's true that riding on wet roads places an additional risk on riders, 158 of the 175 motorcyclists who have died between 2008 and 2014 (to date) were riding on dry roads.
The OPP says motorcycle riders should take steps to ensure they can be seen on the road, such as wearing high-visibility equipment. They also ask drivers to be vigilant about seeing motorcycles on the road, especially in blind spots before changing lanes.
Other facts relating to the 175 OPP-investigated motorcycle fatalities from 2008 to 2014 (as of Aug. 18):

• 168 of the victims were the driver, seven were passengers.
  • 156 of the victims were men, 19 were women.
Top contributing factors in the deaths

• Speed: Factor in 43 of the deaths.
  • Lost Control: Factor in 29 of the deaths.
  • Alcohol: Factor in 21 of the deaths.
  • Failure to Yield: Factor in 20 of the deaths.
  • Inattention: Factor in 18 of the deaths.

Heard 680 news talking about this as well this morning.

I wonder how many riders exist is each of the ages groups. Bet you there more older riders in general. Lots of "wild hogs" guys...

I recall an article explaining the age factor. Dad finally can afford the V twin cruiser he always wanted. He's a newbie but his vision and reflex are shot. Arthritis means turning his head to shoulder check is literally a pain plus he never developed the habit of doing so when he drove his SUV. When he does crash, age, general health and blood thinners make recovery less probable.

Hi Visibility gear doesn't fit in with the "Bad" image. Do they even make Hi-Vis wife beaters?

There is no detail provided as to the number of motorcycles on the road for those years. The absolute number of fatalities may have increased, but if more man-miles were ridden, then maybe the rate of deaths/man-mile is decreasing, a good story.

Also lacking from the detail is how many of the 175 had modifed exhaust systems. Loud pipes save lives? LoL.

I recall an article explaining the age factor. Dad finally can afford the V twin cruiser he always wanted. He's a newbie but his vision and reflex are shot. Arthritis means turning his head to shoulder check is literally a pain plus he never developed the habit of doing so when he drove his SUV. When he does crash, age, general health and blood thinners make recovery less probable.

Hi Visibility gear doesn't fit in with the "Bad" image. Do they even make Hi-Vis wife beaters?

I'm 55 years old, so right in the demographic you so patronisingly describe. The problem with gross generalizations is that they are generally inaccurate. A few corrections, if I may.
I have been riding for almost 40 years, every year. I agree that it's returning or first-time riders who are most at risk but that's more of a factor than simply age.
Not sure what the style of bike has to do with anything. Would you be appeased if the aforementioned 'Dad' rode an SS? Why? Leave a longer smear?
55 is not 19, agreed. But it's not 100 either. To say vision and reflex (sic) are shot is disingenuous. While I may not have the cat-like reflexes you feel are required, I do have the experience, wisdom, sense of mortality, and lack of over-inflated ego to avoid many situationswhich would put me in need of said reflexes.
Poor driving skills span all ages groups. I will say that I grew up and learned to drive without the need to obsessively check my phone for FB updates, slouch down behind the wheel like some wannabe suburban gangster (replete with backwards hat), or have ear splitting noise rattling my windows. Purely anecdotal but from what I've seen, I'll take my chances sharing the road with the 50+ crowd before the 20-somethings.
Not everyone over 50 is moribund. Nor are we all on blood thinners. Again, purely anecdotal, but casual observation would indicate that there is a truly astounding number of grossly obese young people out there (with an unfortunate fondness for displaying acres of jiggling flesh). Ten years from now we are going to see pandemic levels of diabetes and other obesity-related diseases. I'd worry more about them than us oldsters.
Yup, lots of squids out there. Are you saying that only the over-50s ride without ATGATT? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I've seen one or two young 'uns in shorts and doosh-vests tearing it up.
I've been both 25 and 55, so I can at least speak with some experience from both sides of the spectrum. If you're careful and lucky, one day you can too.

I was surprised to find so many gray haired riders in the stats.

Not that I know alot of people that ride but, every young person i know that rides has taken a motorcycle safety course and at least owns proper gear. Zero of the 40 and over guys who I work with have taken a course, zero have a full face helmet and only a couple have a real motorcycle jacket.

Not that I know alot of people that ride but, every young person i know that rides has taken a motorcycle safety course and at least owns proper gear. Zero of the 40 and over guys who I work with have taken a course, zero have a full face helmet and only a couple have a real motorcycle jacket.

I'd second that. "I've been riding a motorcycle as long as you've been alive" is what I hear at work. I've ridden with a couple of them and they could do with a course. Same with the gear. They make fun of me for wearing it. Iron man gloves..monkey suit etc etc. Not to say all older folks are bad riders but the guys I know aren't what I'd call good ones either.

Hi Visibility gear doesn't fit in with the "Bad" image. Do they even make Hi-Vis wife beaters?[/QUOTE]

That's a money ? maker right there! Ka-ching!

I am not a spring chicken, started to ride when I was 18... But that was a different place and time. I'm sure there are a lot of factors that play in the reasons...

- Riding experience
- size of bike
- speed
- mechanical failure
- wrong place at the wrong time
- protective equipment

Interestingly enough, the "run ins" I've had with idiot riders have all been I'm the 40+ age group..

Last edited:
"Myth: Those who die in motorcycle crashes are doing something wrong at the time of the incident. Like other drivers, motorcyclists can avoid crashes if they drive properly and within the law.Fact: Between 2008 and 2014, for 50 of the 175 motorcycle victims, the driver of the motorcycle was driving properly at the time."

You need to look up the definition of myth, because 125 out of 175 enforces the "myth" as fact.

The death rates 45-54 are all about highway deaths on Harleys, as more and more people buy into the Wild Hogs ideal, this number will increase, despite the loud pipes.

• Speed: Factor in 43 of the deaths.
  • Lost Control: Factor in 29 of the deaths.
  • Alcohol: Factor in 21 of the deaths.
  • Failure to Yield: Factor in 20 of the deaths.
  • Inattention: Factor in 18 of the deaths.

This is pretty much identical in breakdown to car deaths.
Alcohol can be avoided by keeping off roads Friday and Saturday nights. Speed feeds into "inattention". Cars cannot see you when you are doing twice the traffic pace.

I'd second that. "I've been riding a motorcycle as long as you've been alive" is what I hear at work. I've ridden with a couple of them and they could do with a course. Same with the gear. They make fun of me for wearing it. Iron man gloves..monkey suit etc etc. Not to say all older folks are bad riders but the guys I know aren't what I'd call good ones either.

Most riders are poorly trained, and the M Class License system does nothing to address this. More miles does not make a better rider, it just selects for more fortunate riders. I learned this first hand after taking a track course 20 years after starting to ride.
Anyone 45-54 who got a license under the old M should be retested, my M Class test was a joke, even at 17, I realized this.

The insurance industry is not helping, most don't care if you've been riding in the last ten years, or give rebates for ABS, or track or advanced rider training courses.
The insurance industry is cashing in on older riders coming back on basically unsafe, poorly designed, overweight bikes. Adding loud pipes to remove one sense while riding only makes this worse, along with a culture of no gear and novelty helmets.

The MTO needs to break down and put motorcycle brands to these deaths, and come up to EU laws on ABS.

I wonder what the stats would be if the insurance companies would stop pricing out young riders?

I learned this first hand after taking a track course 20 years after starting to ride.
Anyone 45-54 who got a license under the old M should be retested, my M Class test was a joke, even at 17, I realized this.

I'm a little older than the age group you're referencing, but I got mine 'the old way'.
MTO was at Woolco Plaza. I was told to ride out onto Up James, turn right on Fennell and turn right, back into the Plaza parking lot.
That was the test you had to do for your m/c license.
Then the MTO changed the licensing. I didn't have a m/c plate registered at the time. You needed one in order to get "grandfathered" in.
I snoozed. I losed.
I had to start from scratch. I took the course when I was 45.
I'd been riding on the street since about grade four. I still learned enough in the course to justify the cost.

Should I have to take it again? I don't think so, but since turning 55 a few yrs ago, I've noticed the reflexes aren't what they used to be. No course is going to help with that.
I think everyone should have to be re-tested, let's say every 5 yrs. Ditch the e-test nonsense. How's that sound? (G license too)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom