New To Riding...A Few Questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

New To Riding...A Few Questions

Shivw1

Hello all,

Any advice/answers you could provide is greatly appreciated in advance. Thank you.

I am looking to get a bike. I'm a first time buyer. I am buying gear now, and am taking my course next month at RTI. Any reviews on them? I still need to get my M1 as well.

A few questions. I'm not sure if to wait until spring, or to buy this year. Any advice? Do people pay to keep their bikes in heated storage facilities over the winter? I'm assuming the car hold (peace to any Simpsons fans who got the reference) is not a good option?

Also, I am a bigger rider (340lbs) or so. I'm concerned about bike weight limits/capacities and what bikes are available for my size? Any ideas? I've read to start on a 250cc, but I've also been told that it's not going to be enough given my size. Any help would be very appreciated.

Much respect!
one

Welcome. Some thoughts:

- Good job on taking a course. I've heard good things about RTI.

- I'd at least get your license and take the course this fall. I did mine in August a couple years back, didn't end up getting a bike till the spring, it worked out fine. You'd have to store the bike over the winter, either at your place or a shop. It's not too hard to figure out. You can always do the course then decide if you want to buy ASAP or not.

- Weight can be worked around, though keep in mind you'd have to adjust the suspension on whatever bike you buy. Not a big deal. Weight limits are typically around the 350-400 lb mark I think, so you're okay. What kind of bike are you interested in? It might be good to start on a used 500 or 650. Also, you may wish to contact RTI ahead of time about the weight thing just in case. I don't know kind of bikes they use, or what the limit on a 125 might be.

Good luck.

Welcome

Good luck with the course

Skip the 250/300 range and look at the 500-600cc cruiser market

It'll fit your needs better and you'll be more comfortable

bike depends on what style you like. If you are into cruisers, a cruiser up to 600 might be alright. If anything else, a good starting point would be 500 or below.

As others have said it depends what interests you for a bike. Rti is a great course to take. You'll learn quite a bit. Waiting until the spring isn't bad nor would be getting something now and storing it for the winter. Places like Brampton powersports store them for a fee and have them ready to go in the spring if at home isn't an option for you.

RTI is great, I did my course with them and one of my friend started working with them as an instructor and loves it. They are also not-for-profit. Fairly rigorous interviewing process for getting hired.

RTI has a variety of bikes, CBR125, a few 150ccs, I do think they have a few dirt bikes which may be a bit higher up in the CCs but it wouldn't hurt to let them know and maybe they can set up a bike's suspension for you ahead of time.

As for a bike, I would not go for a 250 in your case.
What are your preferences on bike style?

An older Ninja500, or a GS500
A suzuki SV 650 might be a great fit and has nice torque at low end so it doesn't feel sluggish when accelerating, or like a yamaha FZ6

Cruisers may be a good choice if you're into that in the 600cc range

I did my training course with RTI in May. It was an amazing experience, I did it at their Toronto location. The instuctors were all fun people and so passionate about riding it helped alleviate my nerves. They had a suzuki tu 250 to learn on to accomodate your size. There was a large fellow in my class though and the cbr125 fit him ok. I dropped their bikes a bunch of times and they were real good with making sure you are ok and getting you back on the course if you wanted to continue.

I got the whole newbie dropping a bike phase out of my system on the course. I haven't dropped my own bike yet! I better go knock on some wood now.

Quick google search is saying 300lbs is about the max weight for a CBR250.
I would consider a cruiser as well. I'm about 250 lbs, and my 750 is good.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Amazing everyone! Thanks for the answers! Looking forward to RTI! I will def look at a larger bike. Thanks for some of the suggestions as well! Do you guys keep the bike in your garage over the winter, or must it go into a heated facility? Also, what is the difference between cruisers vs sports bikes?
I always think of cruisers as choppers, and sports bikes as sports bikes..LOL...I'm assuming I'm wrong. Are there specifications with the bikes that put them in different classes?
Amazing experience on this site soo far! Much respect for all the responses!

The easy description I give non riders is: Sport bikes you lean forward, Standards you sit upright and Cruisers you lean back.

After that the engine size is the class they fall into. Roughly 500cc and below is small, mid is about 600-750cc ...maybe even to 800...and about 900/1000cc and over are litre bikes.

Last edited:
Do you guys keep the bike in your garage over the winter, or must it go into a heated facility? Also, what is the difference between cruisers vs sports bikes?

Bikes can get frozen, just like most other vehicles, without any harm. There are more then a few of us that actually ride almost all year round (not counting the crazy ice racers or ADV riders).

As for bike types what is post above is good guide. Cruiser you lean a bit back, sportbike you lean a bit forward, standard is more upright. Sport touring bikes are between a sportbike and a standards. Adventure touring bikes are like over grown dirt bikes.

My personal recommendation for you would be a 600-750cc cruiser if you like that style or a VFR800 if you want something more sports like.

Hello all,

Any advice/answers you could provide is greatly appreciated in advance. Thank you.

I am looking to get a bike. I'm a first time buyer. I am buying gear now, and am taking my course next month at RTI. Any reviews on them? I still need to get my M1 as well.

A few questions. I'm not sure if to wait until spring, or to buy this year. Any advice? Do people pay to keep their bikes in heated storage facilities over the winter? I'm assuming the car hold (peace to any Simpsons fans who got the reference) is not a good option?

Also, I am a bigger rider (340lbs) or so. I'm concerned about bike weight limits/capacities and what bikes are available for my size? Any ideas? I've read to start on a 250cc, but I've also been told that it's not going to be enough given my size. Any help would be very appreciated.

Much respect!
one

Cant speak to RTI myself, as I took my course with MotorSoul Riding School and had a great time. There's always the option of rolling your bike into your house over the winter. You will be fine on a 250cc with that weight.

Back
Top Bottom