Plasma table questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Plasma table questions

macro

Hey all, I need to get some brackets cut out on a plasma table and I have a couple questions. Figured I'd ask here since the OF4WD forum is a bit lacklustre.

First, what file type does the table read? I want to be able to walk in with a USB stick and my sheet and get it done.

Second, can anyone recommend a good shop in Toronto?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, thanks in advance!!

I should add, I was planning to draw it up in SketchUp but I just don't want to waste my time doing that if it's not necessary.

Last edited:
Hey all, I need to get some brackets cut out on a plasma table and I have a couple questions. Figured I'd ask here since the OF4WD forum is a bit lacklustre.

First, what file type does the table read? I want to be able to walk in with a USB stick and my sheet and get it done.

Second, can anyone recommend a good shop in Toronto?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, thanks in advance!!

I should add, I was planning to draw it up in SketchUp but I just don't want to waste my time doing that if it's not necessary.

The "table" will have a control unit (probably FANUC) the reads G/M code. The person that programs the table will have software that they can make a toolpath from a drawing file (usually Mastercanm or Esprit for plasma cutters, but there are other less popular ones). The software has an editor that post processes (translates) the path geometry into G code. I had never heard of SketchUp, so I checked out their site. It exports to some of the more common/widely used drawing file types like DXF and DWG. Export to both and put it on a stick. If it let's you export to IGS save that file and put it on the stick too.

Thanks! Yeah I did some looking around and contacted PSM custom metal in Scarborough. I can bring him a DXF file and my metal and he can cut it up for me.

Another question, say the total dimensions of what I want to cut are 24"x24" but the size of my plate is 36"x36" should the size of the dxf file drawing represent the size of the material or just the size of the project?

Your drawing should be 1:1 scale (inch or mm - tell them which units you have used). Just give them the geometry - no title block, no dimensions. The "size of the drawing" will be the size of the piece that you are cutting out.

Right, that way you could lay down a sheet the size of the table and it will just cut what you need. By just the geometry, you mean just what needs to be cut, as in, if I wanted a circle cut out, the file would be of the circle ONLY. Do you mind if I PM you when I get it all done up ? After the weekend sometime. If you could take a quick look at my SketchUp drawing before I transfer it to a dxf, just to see if I effed anything up.

Back
Top Bottom