Time to end alcohol retail monopolies in Ontario! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time to end alcohol retail monopolies in Ontario!

Skully

Time to end alcohol retail monopolies in Ontario, report says

The “quasi-monopoly” LCBO and The Beer Store have hosed Ontario consumers long enough, a C.D. Howe Institute report says.

full story HERE

i have listened to people over many years, well over a decade talk about the beer store, they thought it was a provincial/crown corp just as the lcbo is. WRONG!! i have over and over told people that this is a privately owned company that got exclusive retail rights to all beer sales in our province, unbeleivable!!! labatts/molsons/sleemans are the 3 companies awarded this lucrative right and subsequently labatts and molsons have been sold to foreign conglomurates who still hold this monopoly, low key, hiding in dark corners like rats and laughing all the way to the bank. this is allowed by the provincial governement regardless which party was/is in power??? how can this be? every retailer in this province that passes regulation should be allowed to sell all alcohol, those ridiculous adds/comercials last year by the beer store were nothing but propoganda, if we dont see or control the sales, there will be a epidemic alcoholism and underage drinking, really?? same buddies who own our provincial 407 hiway own the eclusive rights to sell/retail beer. stop the insanity!!

Amen brother!

I do like the LCBO shopping experience, but when I found out that Beer Store was privately owned I was not happy as this is obviously wrong when no one else is allowed to sell. I also hate the fear mongering I have heard in the past from the Beer Store that the children will all of a sudden be buying beer under age and basically life as we know it will come crashing down because alcohol will be everywhere and out of control. These are things the government should not be in control of.

IMHO get rid of the beer stores and allow beer & wine to be sold in convenience, grocery stores etc.
They already have wine racks at grocery stores.
Keep the LCBO for spirits.

Yeah it is ridiculous the prices we pay at the moment... All for cheap beer and liquor say " Hell Yes "

For sure!!

Everytime I walk into the Costco in the USA ... wow! Cheapest booze around. Let's do it here, let's introduce some competition...

I didn't. Was that why it went from Brewers Retail to Beer Store?
No, that was just a rebranding exercise. With the advent of so-called craft beers, the Beer Store felt it needed to update its image. We even have a drive through beer store down the street here, in Kitchener, lol.
While I agree that beer should be sold in corner and grocery stores, as they do in Quebec and elsewhere, I don't think for a moment we'd see a price drop. Alcohol sales are a cash cow for the province and they set the prices. Even if the corner store employees were getting paid significantly less than Beer Store workers, it won't translate to cheaper suds for the consumer.

Moi aussi

privatizing liquor sales will not make liquor any cheaper. the lcbo already has the best buying power. most of the cost we see in liquor sales is due to taxes and privatization is NOT going to take that away. what privatization will do is take away our great selection of different beers, wines and liquors. take a look at alberta - they privatized, it's not any cheaper, they have less selection. now take a look at quebec, they have beer and wine available in the corner stores, the selection is not great but they also have the quebec version of the LCBO which carries the different stuff. it's not going to make liquor any cheaper but it does make it more convenient though with less selection to have beer and wine at the corner store, i could live with that, though i think we should look at the statistics of corner stores that are robbed for their liquor and drunk driving. Currently the staff at the beer store and the liquor store are on the watch for people that have had too much to drink, will mom and pop convenience stores worry so much? will they refuse to allow someone to buy at the risk of having their stock damaged? I've seen drunks in convenience stores and they behave way better at the liquor and beer stores..

They already have wine racks at grocery stores. Keep the LCBO for spirits.

Perhaps, but the wines they carry are mostly Ontario sewage. I want to buy the wine that I want, where I want to.

take a look at alberta - they privatized, it's not any cheaper

Sure it is.. the Macallan 18YO is $60/bottle cheaper in Alberta than it is in Ontario, and there are hundreds of other examples.

privatizing liquor sales will not make liquor any cheaper. the lcbo already has the best buying power. most of the cost we see in liquor sales is due to taxes and privatization is NOT going to take that away. what privatization will do is take away our great selection of different beers, wines and liquors. take a look at alberta - they privatized, it's not any cheaper, they have less selection. now take a look at quebec, they have beer and wine available in the corner stores, the selection is not great but they also have the quebec version of the LCBO which carries the different stuff. it's not going to make liquor any cheaper but it does make it more convenient though with less selection to have beer and wine at the corner store, i could live with that, though i think we should look at the statistics of corner stores that are robbed for their liquor and drunk driving. Currently the staff at the beer store and the liquor store are on the watch for people that have had too much to drink, will mom and pop convenience stores worry so much? will they refuse to allow someone to buy at the risk of having their stock damaged? I've seen drunks in convenience stores and they behave way better at the liquor and beer stores..

think-of-the-children.jpg

Funny how i can buy any illegal drug and have it delivered within an hour, but a case of beer? Oh ID, can only get it from the time that is outlined for me and i can't be drunk. Why do you think im getting the beer in the first place? To get F***en drunk!

It won't happen. You forget that you're in Canada especially Ontario where the government and corporate greed trumps all.

I want to see beer stores privatized...Anyone been to the beer shop by Whole Foods in NYC? Damn, just the thought of it makes me drunk. It wouldn't take a smart entrepreneur much time in GTA to setup a decent shop with selection and the right price point.

I want to see beer stores privatized...Anyone been to the beer shop by Whole Foods in NYC? Damn, just the thought of it makes me drunk. It wouldn't take a smart entrepreneur much time in GTA to setup a decent shop with selection and the right price point.

Newsflash. The beer store is a privately held co. (if you read the thread).

I think what you mean is.. you want the beer store de-monopolized.

Back
Top Bottom