Close call (Video) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Close call (Video)

kiwi

reasonably close call (Video)

Was driving home tonight and caught this on the DashCam.
Just as rider was overtaking car decided to change lanes (he did indicate) at the same time... biker accelerated and got by. Yeah, tonnes of room but at the time it looked a lot closer...especially with that tractor/trailer! (wide angle of the camera changes it a bit)

[video=youtube_share;yIca-MskFgI]http://youtu.be/yIca-MskFgI[/video]

Last edited:
Bad move by the biker, he should have backed off when he saw the turn signal.

funny watching it now how s l o w it looks though

Was driving home tonight and caught this on the DashCam.
Just as rider was overtaking car decided to change lanes (he did indicate) at the same time... biker accelerated and got by. Yeah, tonnes of room but at the time it looked a lot closer...especially with that tractor/trailer! (wide angle of the camera changes it a bit)

[video=youtube_share;yIca-MskFgI]http://youtu.be/yIca-MskFgI[/video]
what cam are you using? thats great quality.

I wouldn't call that a close call exactly.

yeah, it doesnt look as "bad" as when I was in the car - lol.. these cameras tend to slow things down with their angle.

what cam are you using? thats great quality.

a G1W dash cam I got off ebay for $US55 shipped. 1080p recording. Becareful, there are "clones" of this camera now. Do a google for "d1w dash cam" and you should find links to forums that will have link to trusted sellers of the real mccoy.

Last edited:
a d1w dash cam I got off ebay for $US55 shipped. 1080p recording. Becareful, there are "clones" of this camera now. Do a google for "d1w dash cam" and you should find links to forums that will have link to trusted sellers of the real mccoy.
its not really coming up but ill search some more. i think im going to get a dual to record in front and behind, but im going to put the small cam on the front and the bigger unit out the rear and out of the way.

I would've flipped him the finger. I expect other drivers to drive the way I do; eyes on the effing mirror and looking for riders when you change lanes.

thats why, you typed D1W, its G1W... i found that 1.
thanks for the info ill look into it!

油井緋色;2214277 said:
I would've flipped him the finger. I expect other drivers to drive the way I do; eyes on the effing mirror and looking for riders when you change lanes.
Meh, I'd rather be safe. He merged slowly but what if the car decided to jerk into the lane? Rider would've probably been toast.

You're giving people way too much credit.
油井緋色;2214277 said:

油井緋色;2214277 said:

unfortunately that doesnt happen in the GTA/Ontario.. its usually a "you're behind me - you look out for me" type attitude. I must say that you could hear the motorcycle as he approached, So the car probably knew he was there .. maybe he saw him coming and decided to move lanes to let him pass (yeah.. right ;-)

This is why you carry a chain with you! Smash the side of the car or the mirror!

As for wide angle lens... Think this will help me with taking a few umm... adult selfies? Nothing like extending the truth, if you know what I mean. ;)

not really that close...has happened more times than I can remember. The advantage of better acceleration for a bike.

油井緋色;2214277 said:
He merged slowly with signal, the rider was approaching from the rightmost lane with a faster pace that all other lanes.
Try driving a car, you may learn something.

He merged slowly with signal, the rider was approaching from the rightmost lane with a faster pace that all other lanes.
Try driving a car, you may learn something.

Wrong! Both vehicles were in the outside lane. The bike came up faster than the Jetta, signalled, then moved into the next left lane to pass. The bike was fully in that lane and passing when the Jetta signalled and moved into to path of the bike. The bike had the right of way. Just because you signal, doesn't give you the right to change lanes if it is not clear. Just because someone signals, doesn't mean that you have to yield to him if you have the right of way. If you do and someone is following you, you could easily be rear-ended.

That being said, riders should learn to expect that kind of behavior and be ready. He could see that the Jetta was in a situation where it would want to pass, and may not expect the rider to be there. A little blast from a stebel air horn and some quick acceleration and everything is good. As mentioned it wasn't that close, and yes it does happen on a semi-regular basis. Just commuting in Toronto.

I think the rider knew exactly what he was doing, he saw the car coming into the lane and judged he had enough space if he accelerated, I have done it a few times. Sometime it is safer to do that then to brake to allow the car in and be rear ended by another car. Once you do something you need to commit as the sudden change can confuse the drivers behind.

It might not look safe but the person in control of the bike knows best in this case.

Back
Top Bottom