ZX6R - died while riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

ZX6R - died while riding

hamaad89

Hi guys,

Was out riding yesterday and on my way home the dash went blank on me and the bike stalled as I slowed down to stop for a red light. Wouldn't turn back on, you hear the sound of a dead battery when u try to start it but a dead battery wouldn't stall the bike while moving. Tried bump starting and the engine turns over, the bike catches a bit of speed and stalls a few meters away again.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Searched online and only solid lead points me to a bad breather valve, but not sure why the engine won't start without a bump start if that's the case.

It's a 2009.

1. Check/test battery
2. Test Rectifier/Regulator
3. Test Stator

Sounds like a charging system problem and your battery ran out of juice. Easy to confirm, charge battery and see if the bike runs fine after (it should). Then move on to guess whos suggestions (2&3) to figure out why charging system has failed. I would also check for loose connections (at battery, ground locaiton and reg/rec) before tearing much apart.

Thanks guys. Left the battery on charger overnight and sure enough it started. I have a Scorpio alarm installed on my bike which chirps while riding indicating a lose connection either on the alarm or main harness. Will look into it. Going to Google how to test rectifier and stator. Let me know if anyone knows of a trick or two to test it.

Similar issue with my 2011 early this year. I would suggest getting a multimeter and a copy of the service manual online from the zx6r forum. As others stated, check battery, stator and rectifier per manual to isolate the problem. The service manual outlines some pretty quick checks.

easy to find the fault with a tester.

Sounds like you already have a direction. Stator or Reg is an easy tell. Just another angle I had a very weird issue with an 09 it would go into limp and then stop altogether with no warning. Drove me freakin mental diag the problem and the result was bizarre. Turned out to be the temp sensor. Who knew? It would send varied voltage to the cpu telling it the bike was overheating. Bike would then shut itself down. sometimes start right up immediately sometimes take a few shots to get it going. Did some research and an ongoing issue with the 09.
New sensor and viola no more issue (BTW bike only had 1200km on it at the time)

Thank you all for chiming in. really appreciate the help.

Got myself a multimeter and downloaded the service manual...

Battery test: pass
Charge test: fail
- alternator test: fail, suppose to shoot ~50v , only shooting about 3v.
- coil resistance test: fall. instead of the 0.11-0.17 range, I was getting 0.04.

conclusion: bad stator

any ideas on where I can get a reasonably priced stator?

I went with an OEM stator so no experience with ricksmotorsport product, but I found them new for about 140USD on amazon/ebay earlier in the year out of the US. Checkout Partshark.com for a price comparison on kawi OEM parts. I'm in the US every month so I ship to a US mailbox in Niagara Falls (5 bucks a package) and bring it across myself. Factor in time, gas, exchange, etc if you go this route..may not be worth it for you.

Thanks. Just undid the stator cover, this looks shorted to me. Can anyone confirmed? Want to be sure it's what I need before I order one and get stuck with it.

IMG_20140821_143946.jpg

the insulation is burnt! She's gone!

Yup crispy fried. Make sure to use GOOD tools the bolts will be red locktighted and will strip before breaking loose if not careful.

Thanks for the heads up kneedragger. Will be careful with that. Ordered from rmststor for 195$ CDN taxed and shipped. Found it on Amazon for 140$ US but I don't think I can wait 5-10 business days, seasons passing by too fast. Not worth the $40 savings for it to sit in the garage a week longer.

Thanks everyone for the help again, appreciate it.

Got my stator. All set up. Just about to close but I'm a bit iffy about this the threaded insulation on the wire, there is also the black insulation over the threaded insulation but it ends in the stator and.the threaded insulation is exposed. Is this going to be a problem or can the threaded insulation stand the heat?

IMG_20140827_180641.jpg

Called Rmstator about the wiring insulation and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Finished the install and the stator was shooting the power I needed, after plugging into rectifier, charging system still not working. So bad rectifier as well.

Can a bad rectifier lead to a burnt out stator eventually?

I'll post how I changed the stator after without removig the fairings like the service manual asks for in case another noob like myself wants to DIY

Happened to me. I was riding and everything went blank. My engine ran in limp mode. Turned out my signal grounded and blew a fuse. If your alarm was installed not long before the issue arose. Good place to start.

Back
Top Bottom