Turning 25 halfway through policy | GTAMotorcycle.com

Turning 25 halfway through policy

DSoup

I'm turning 25 next April and am about to get a policy written. Are there any companies that might write a policy so I can take advantage of the premium drop next season?

Some might do it within a month of your birthday but 6 months is very unlikely.

Most won't do anything until you renew the following year. If it were a week or so, you might be able to talk them into it but not 6 months.

Depends on the company. I'm with TDMM and because of the weird way they do their policies (first time it's for the remainder of the year until February, then it always renews in February), my renewal for a "second" year riding, I was still considered a new rider with <1 year experience. So I called them up in May, a year after I got my licence, and they removed and re-added me to the policy, which then detected than I have >1 year experience, resulting in a nice refund of excess premiums.

Back when I got my first bike at 24, turning 25 in 3 months, most companies wanted to charge me the 24 rate for a whole year. TD was one of them.

StateFarm told me they'd change it when I turned 25. So my rate would be higher than TD for a few months ($430/month vs $340/month for a year). However, since my birthday was near the end of summer and because of how StateFarm calculates your rates, when I turned 25 I still "owed them" for the lower percentage I paid for the first few months so I actually paid $430/month for 3 months, then $350/month for another 3 months, then it dropped to like $140/month or something. Of course they didn't tell me that (just told me it would drop to $140/month at 25) until I called to ask why I was paying $350/month instead of $140/month. They blamed the misunderstanding on me.

That's just for the bike, btw, I had 2 cars on top of that. I paid a lot in insurance that year.

Back
Top Bottom