Heated grips or heated pads under grips? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heated grips or heated pads under grips?

DanteGuelph

I have not done any work on my bike and am not confident. I think I would like to get some heated grips if some sort. I noticed you can get pads to go under your current grips. Good idea? How hard is it to install something like this for a guy with zero mechanical experience?
d48a6d5c164fb7c4a48c24361a94addc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all down to the quality you want. Oxford is the best imo.

If you're serious about extended your riding season, consider heated gloves. The wiring is also a lot more simple.

I run both. Heated grips, the under grip style, have had them on several bikes. Grips are good for cool, gloves are good for cold.

I run both. Heated grips, the under grip style, have had them on several bikes. Grips are good for cool, gloves are good for cold.

I've used the under grip ones and the Oxford ones, they both work. Oxford works a bit better and the temperature settings are nice.

Gloves are great in theory, but not for every day use. The heated grips are permanently on your bike so you can use them whenever needed. Temp dipped at night or early morning? Turn them on. Heated gloves work well but are bulky, too warm if the weather is nice, and need to be wired into a harness or heated jacket liner which you may not have on you.

I just put oxfords on, they're awesome. Only problem with them is they wire directly to the battery so you have to remember to turn them off our there's a chance they could drain the battery if left for long periods. Or wire it through a relay like I did.

I used the under pads on my DRZ because I wanted to put proper offroad grips on it. If it's just for a street bike, then I would do oxfords. My friend used them on his XR650 and they're really nice.

I use the Oxford wraparound style. They wrap around the grips and attach by velcro. When you don't need them, unzip them and put them in a sealed glad bag in your trunk compartment. They take up next to no space. Run them into 12 volts ignition so they come on only when key is turned on or as mentioned, any grips will drain your battery (if you forget to turn them off). The under grip pads have a problem in that the throttle side will be cooler than the clutch side due to the different diameter of the clipon. You won't have this problem with the wrap around style.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-motorcycle-grips/

It's a good option for those who don't ride cold-weather often, but are ready for if it happens.

Ive had both, and the oxford grips are way better than the inserts.

I have heated glove liners, wear them inside winter gloves and if it gets too hot I take the liners off, find this way less hassle than heated grips

I run the heat pads under the stock grips. Had them on for years. True heated grips like the Oxfords are probably better, but so far I'm good with mine. I ride till the snow stays o the ground, sometimes as low as -15C. I can do it because I have wind deflectors I add to my fairings in the fall. Without those I couldn't do the really low temps. Thought for those temps, heated gloves would be best. I wired mint to the front signals, so no forgetting to turn them off.

Get heated gloves, don't be silly. https://store.firedupx.com/en/heated-gloves/motorcycle-gloves.html

You'll thank me later.

Those seem ridiculously expensive. Never heard of firedupx... Gerbing, firstgear, tour master all under $200

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-t5-hybrid-heated-gloves
http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-heated-carbon-gloves
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-synergy-20-heated-leather-gloves

Actually you can get the heated jacket liner and glove inserts for $299 *shrug*

You do realize the gloves I linked are wireless right? ;)

They are made by Jimmy from Velocity Sportsgear.

Ah I didn't know they are wireless... that is a pretty nice feature. Really skeptical about buying anything from Jimmy after reading about numerous customer issues.
Personally i'd rather purchase something Gerbing... which I've heard have great customer service.

I have heated grips, but I really need some nice winter gloves.

I just put oxfords on, they're awesome. Only problem with them is they wire directly to the battery so you have to remember to turn them off our there's a chance they could drain the battery if left for long periods. Or wire it through a relay like I did.

are they the same circumference as stock sport bars? I hate the thick cruiser style bars.

You do realize the gloves I linked are wireless right? ;)

They are made by Jimmy from Velocity Sportsgear.

Don't know if wireless gloves really make sense. Those have a battery life of 5-6 hours on medium, 3.5 hours on high. Not a lot, I would much rather have an infinite amount of power from a wired setup.

Ah I didn't know they are wireless... that is a pretty nice feature. Really skeptical about buying anything from Jimmy after reading about numerous customer issues.
I think with his new company things are much better. Heck, people still line up in droves when he does his glove group buys :)

Don't know if wireless gloves really make sense. Those have a battery life of 5-6 hours on medium, 3.5 hours on high. Not a lot, I would much rather have an infinite amount of power from a wired setup.
Yeah, they are REALLY warm when NOT turned on, good down to about 0c or so on the highway. Low is good until about -7 on the highway and you get 13.5 hours on average. I've only had to use medium one day when my car wouldn't start so I had to take the bike to work, it was -26. No freaking clue what you'd ever use high for??

I have a spare battery pack plus charger in my trunk so have never run out of juice yet!

I have not done any work on my bike and am not confident. I think I would like to get some heated grips if some sort. I noticed you can get pads to go under your current grips. Good idea? How hard is it to install something like this for a guy with zero mechanical experience?
d48a6d5c164fb7c4a48c24361a94addc.jpg

Get grips. Don't waste your money and time with those pads. They're junk.

Back
Top Bottom