new Tim's DARK ROAST | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

new Tim's DARK ROAST

Those of you with the cheaper espresso machines, have you read anything beyond the basics about espresso? I'm wondering how much luck a newbie with some random grinder can actually have pulling a shot on these machines, without doing research first. The first and most basic thing to look for is a roughly 25 second extraction. If you're getting an espresso in 10-15 seconds or less, you're drinking garbage... same goes for very long extractions past 40 seconds. Espresso is hugely finicky to get right.

I've found through my own tinkering of various temperatures, grinds and beans that results vary drastically, from undrinkable smelly swill to amazingness comparable to any of the best coffee shops... and this is with a half way decent grinder and machine, both capable of very fine adjustment.

Its a Saeco Aroma, very basic machine. .

We have one of those, its actually a good machine that makes good coffee for what it is.

Lavazza is an excellent mass produced brand. Try the Gold version, and the Crema and Gusta.

And on topic of beans- they get stale much faster than you might think. I notice a huge difference in flavour and crema in my espressos between 5 day old roast and the same beans after 2-3 weeks. This is why I pay extra attention to roasted-on dates... if it was roasted more than a week ago, it's not worth buying unless you can brew it all within another week or two tops. Gotta get fresh. I also have to make several step adjustments in my grinder as the beans get older- another easy sign that they're losing freshness fast.

Those of you with the cheaper espresso machines, have you read anything beyond the basics about espresso? I'm wondering how much luck a newbie with some random grinder can actually have pulling a shot on these machines, without doing research first. The first and most basic thing to look for is a roughly 25 second extraction. If you're getting an espresso in 10-15 seconds or less, you're drinking garbage... same goes for very long extractions past 40 seconds. Espresso is hugely finicky to get right.

I've found through my own tinkering of various temperatures, grinds and beans that results vary drastically, from undrinkable smelly swill to amazingness comparable to any of the best coffee shops... and this is with a half way decent grinder and machine, both capable of very fine adjustment.

depends on the beans and roast for me. It usually takes a few tries with new beans to dial things in but I don't get all anal about temperatures etc etc. Some beans I've bought don't give me a good crema, fresh ones usually do. Whatever I do is better than timmies anyday.

I switched to M'CD coffee and never going back.

I switched to M'CD coffee and never going back.

I said the same thing until I tried to go in late afternoons, evenings or over night for coffee. They don't throw away old coffee and serve it to you. Avoid Richmond Hill McDonalds. They are super cheap and don't throw away anything :|

When it's fresh and brewed properly McDonalds coffee is awesome.

Funny thing, I heard that McDonalds coffee was originally made for Tim Hortons, but for some reason Tim Hortons didn't adopt it.

I said the same thing until I tried to go in late afternoons, evenings or over night for coffee. They don't throw away old coffee and serve it to you. Avoid Richmond Hill McDonalds. They are super cheap and don't throw away anything :|

When it's fresh and brewed properly McDonalds coffee is awesome.

Funny thing, I heard that McDonalds coffee was originally made for Tim Hortons, but for some reason Tim Hortons didn't adopt it.

But it takes sooooo long for them to get you a coffee!

And the coffee was Tims old coffee. Rumour is that the contract was up for renewal, someone at McDonald's caught wind of it and scooped in and bought the rights. Left Tims scrambling for a new supplier.

But it takes sooooo long for them to get you a coffee!

And the coffee was Tims old coffee. Rumour is that the contract was up for renewal, someone at McDonald's caught wind of it and scooped in and bought the rights. Left Tims scrambling for a new supplier.

It tastes completely different from Tim's old coffee trust me. I used to work at timmies 10 years ago and they had battery acid then and it's still battery acid now.

The new Tims isn't THAT bad. Are all of you coffee snobs?

And what is all the hype about McZargards coffee being so great? Its good, but great? Nah..

The reason why Tims is still the best selling is the fact that the company is actually bigger than the
goverment. And not even Canadian anymore.

I use Tim's coarse ground coffee in my reusable k-cup and I really enjoy it, but I don't like it from their stores.

I take mine with one sugar.

I don't know if it's me, but everytime I go up north somewhere, way past Barrie, the coffee tastes much better ? Could it be the water (well water) ?

Back
Top Bottom