2014 Yamaha FZ-09. What's your opinion? | GTAMotorcycle.com

2014 Yamaha FZ-09. What's your opinion?

cza888

Looking at purchasing one, really intrigued by the power plant - never had a triple. Come from a sportbike background - honestly, missing the power and tech. Not looking at hard-nosed SS anymore. Would like some opinions please.

cheers
dave

Was also looking at this and the fz-07. Interested to hear opinions. Some reviews say the throttle response is abrupt and the suspension lacking. I've never rode one so looking for rider impressions.

I have never ridden one and saw this: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...14-yamaha-fz-09-red-mint-condition/1010170017 in person

and it is a sweet looking modern bike with a sweeter price.

Thanks for the posting koorosh, That's my bike DucatiDan.

I'm a little biased as I'm the seller of the FZ-09... but it is a pretty nice bike. I'm selling it because I want to do adventure trail riding. I already put a deposit on a KTM 690 Enduro (I figured the FZ-09 will sell fast at that price... especially considering how many messages I have received)

You can probably go back and look at my posts in regards to rider impressions.

* Throttle response is a bit strong (mostly because the bike has so much torque at a low RPM) Putting the drive mode to "C" reduces the abruptness a LOT.
* Suspension is okay for around town/highway. I would not recommend the stock suspension for track use. There are already TONS of aftermarket for this bike however.
* It's actually quite fast... Feels a lot faster than my old 2010 GSXR600
* Incredibly smooth with virtually no vibrations, I can literally use two fingers to control the bike on the highway.
* Ergonomics are quite good
* Fuel Gauge and external temp monitor are nice additions
* Changing the oil takes about 10 mins ... MAX. I've done it several times and used the K&N filter with the nut on the end
* Bike feels very light and flick-able

After getting used to the throttle and torque... it's a non-issue now. Suspension and ECU are easily upgraded... Engine not so much.

No word of a lie... The Yamaha triple engine is absolutely fantastic.

Do you have any other questions?

-Chase

Last edited:
After getting used to the throttle and torque... it's a non-issue now. Suspension and ECU are easily upgraded... Engine not so much.
My old FZ-6 had the same throttle and suspension problems and I costed it out to about $2G to fix. Decided I was better off just putting the money towards a Street Triple R instead, and get everything right from the start.

Thanks for the reply Chase. Wishing you many awesome off-road adventures! That's a sweet bike you're picking up!

Last edited:
The FZ-09 for me, would be a bike just to ride around in town but mainly on backroads. Weekend day trips once in a while. I'm not that young guy on a sport bike anymore, not looking for the razors edge in performance - those days are behind me with no regrets. From the reviews I've read and from speaking to an owner just today, all are saying the same thing as Chasem has put it. This bike is more than an older guy like me needs or could want. Been on cruisers for past 7 years, they're great, don't get me wrong, love them for what they are, but it's time to get back to a sportier kinda fun :) and I think/feel the FZ-09 will fit the bill perfectly :)

The FZ-09 for me, would be a bike just to ride around in town but mainly on backroads. Weekend day trips once in a while. I'm not that young guy on a sport bike anymore, not looking for the razors edge in performance - those days are behind me with no regrets. From the reviews I've read and from speaking to an owner just today, all are saying the same thing as Chasem has put it. This bike is more than an older guy like me needs or could want. Been on cruisers for past 7 years, they're great, don't get me wrong, love them for what they are, but it's time to get back to a sportier kinda fun :) and I think/feel the FZ-09 will fit the bill perfectly :)

I've been through the super sport scene as well... definitely not for me. However the FZ-09 is easy competition for most super-sports around the streets, without the terrible ergonomics.

The Yamaha Triple feels very refined... I wish they put it in an enduro :D (Would be absolutely retarded though)

In regards to the Street Triple R comment... Sure you can pay more and get better suspension, and a weaker engine. A lot comes down to how much you want to spend.... Why stop at a STR? BMW S1000R ;D

At some point people have to draw a line.

test rode one at the Yamaha ride day last Saturday.

Loved it. Want one. Fantastic price.

Here are my take away points:
- the engine sounds and feels great
- the throttle was a little abrupt in "A" and "Std" modes, but slapped a grin on my face
- grin got bigger as the front wheel lifted up on a hasty take off from the lights to catch up to the group
- "B" mode is definitely tamer...kept it in "A" mode for the rest of the demo ride
- the suspension is somewhat soft compared to a SS, but made for a very comfortable ride over potholes and manhole covers. No "canyon carver", but still very manageable and precise on city roads
- bike feels light and flickable
- seating position is very much upright like a dirt bike: feet directly underneath you, seat angled to bring you forward towards the tank, handle bars pretty much at elbow height

One thing I didn't really like about it:
- the signal switch isn't as easy to operate as the one on my Suzuki (Hayabusa)

Getting back on the Busa afterwards was weird. My Busa's suspension suddenly felt stiff and unforgiving. And being raked over the tank to reach the handle bars felt uncivilized.

I have never ridden one and saw this: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...14-yamaha-fz-09-red-mint-condition/1010170017 in person

and it is a sweet looking modern bike with a sweeter price.

Chases FZ-09 was great, rode it and loved it. My only issue was the fact that the suspension would stink if you enjoy track riding or take sweepers over 170 km/ph. Power wheelie machine!!! Torque is phenomenal, loved the bike but I now know I'm not ready to leave the SS scene just yet. Thanks again for letting me take her for a boot!

I still think the throttle is less twitchy then my R6 :p
I loved it personally, but I'm also a bit of a nut. A mode all the way!!

Thanks for the replies fellas :) the honesty is much appreciated! Looking forward to a naked bike again. Last one I had was a 2002 Honda CB919, had her 10 years, loved every minute :)

Test rode and loved it. Does anyone know if there's any aftermarket seats for it like the FZ-07 stock seat? The only downside I found was that I don't like the single piece the 09 has. Looks fugly to me....

The recurring criticism of the twitchy throttle seems like a bit of concern for most. Would a Power Commander not eliminate this? And what prevents this from being a "canyon carver"? Like some that have posted I also ride a SS(ZX9R) and I am also looking at this bike or a Supermoto. Specifically the KTM 990 SMR.

This is a very inexpensive ( well made ) bike ...you get what you pay for . :rolleyes:
and more than what you get on other brands for anywhere near the price - these are a category buster as nearly every review has noted.....and the other thing the reviews have noted....they are not cheaply made...they are simply inexpensive...big difference....

This is a very inexpensive ( well made ) bike ...you get what you pay for . :rolleyes:
and more than what you get on other brands for anywhere near the price - these are a category buster as nearly every review has noted.....and the other thing the reviews have noted....they are not cheaply made...they are simply inexpensive...big difference....

Definitely agree with you

Well said. At the price you can't really ask for more.

I may be selling my bike, but it has nothing to do with the bike being inexpensive. I simply want to move off-road, which the FZ-09 does not do. If Yamaha made an Enduro like the KTM 690 I would jump on it. The WR250R is too under-powered for my tastes.

The recurring criticism of the twitchy throttle seems like a bit of concern for most. Would a Power Commander not eliminate this? And what prevents this from being a "canyon carver"? Like some that have posted I also ride a SS(ZX9R) and I am also looking at this bike or a Supermoto. Specifically the KTM 990 SMR.

The "B" mode takes care of the "twitchy" throttle and makes it very tame.

In all honesty, the throttle is not more "twitchy" than on my Hayabusa or Gixxer750. It's just a sensitive throttle, something an experienced rider will get used to.
What may make it seem more "twitchy" is the torque combined with the light weight of the bike, which makes it accelerate like stink in "A" mode and lifts the front wheel. These two things put a smile on my face, though. :)

The suspension is somewhat softer than a supersport, which may make it seem less planted on twisty roads at high speeds. But also makes it very comfortable riding around the city or on roads that are not glass smooth. I only test rode it on a demo ride so I couldn't tell you how it would behave on a track, but my Hayabusa's suspension is much stiffer (and more precise feeling) by comparison.

I've also heard that the new 2015 will come with the option to be reflashed to take care of the twitchy throttle if the customer decides they want smoother throttle. You can also do it with the previous year models at the dealer.

A friend of mine purchased, spent a evening riding. I basically think the engine and chassis are fantastic but the suspension with a 240lbs rider was awful.

That being said I would purchase in a heartbeat if I could get inexpensive insurance quotes. I think the suspension can easily be fixed with a g note and some manual labour.

All being said the fz-07 is a upside down fork from being my next ride.

Back
Top Bottom