Touring gear recommendations? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring gear recommendations?

I use the Velocity heated glove. I seems to be very well made, and they are warm enough that I have barely used the heat on them yet. In fact, I am not even sure where my charger is for the batteries.

They did manage to get wet on my Newfoundland trip, but I am not sure if they leaked, I didn't have the cuffs sealed right, or if I brought the water in with wet hands when I took them off to do something. Anyway, that was not usual circumstances... I'm talking 10 hours of Newfie rain with some torrential downpouring. Regular rain and these have no issue.

If you are in the Mississauga area I'd give Jimmy at Velocity a visit and see if you like them, I think he sells them to GTAM members for $250 cash price.

Thanks Diesel, the Velocity gloves you mentioned are the same price as the new Gerbing T5's. What would be the benefit of the velocity gloves over the Gerbings?

Do they come with the batteries and charger?

Thanks Diesel, the Velocity gloves you mentioned are the same price as the new Gerbing T5's. What would be the benefit of the velocity gloves over the Gerbings?

Do they come with the batteries and charger?

I don't know anything about the Gerbings so I have no idea. Yes, they come with batteries and a charger.

Mac, they are very well armoured... plastic bits on the knuckles, and abrasion resistant leather on the palm.
See the thread here: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-Infra-Red-Heated-Motorcycle-Gloves-and-vests
See the glove here: https://store.firedupx.com/en/heated-gloves/motorcycle-gloves/heated-vr-pro-motorcycle-gloves.html

I have the T5's, no experience with the Velocity gloves except for trying them on at the bike show. Upside with the T5's is that they are warm, I was riding all day yesterday on the highway at about 10C and my hands were fine. On the down side they're only water resistant, in heavy rain they will leak. Also quite bulky, ok on the highway, but anything needing fine control I need to switch gloves.

Yeah - I think I'm more looking for armored waterproof - truly waterproof.
The heated grips do fine for warmth.

I'm happy with the First Ascent gloves for warmth and waterproof.
No armor tho :(
They are nice and flexible too and pull up over the jacket sleeves. They are my go to for slab in the cold and/or rain.
hiking-gloves-eddie-bauer-mens-heli-guide-e8bc51.jpg

I do not wear them with the down liners.

Yeah - I think I'm more looking for armored waterproof - truly waterproof.
The heated grips do fine for warmth.

I'm happy with the First Ascent gloves for warmth and waterproof.
No armor tho :(
They are nice and flexible too and pull up over the jacket sleeves. They are my go to for slab in the cold and/or rain.
hiking-gloves-eddie-bauer-mens-heli-guide-e8bc51.jpg

I do not wear them with the down liners.

I've spent way too much on gloves only to learn that there's no such thing as waterproof gloves...or at least they don't stay that way for long. I took apart my last pair of Racer gloves with a Hipora membrane and the membrane was basically just looked like a plastic bag melted into a subpar glove. I just use dollar store rubbers inside those racers now and I've never felt a drop of water with them on.

I use the dollar store rubber gloves over top some leather winter gloves when it's raining. I don't have any crash protection that way but at least my hands are warm and dry

Welp, a year on and I sold my Olympia Dakar jacket. I decided that having three pieces didn't work for me, and I didn't really like how the waterproof layer was meant to go inside the outer jacket.

Now I have a Klim Traverse (thanks Booya for the deal), and it works very well. I rode all day today (700+ km) to Bon Echo and back plus some meandering in 30+ degree heat and a thunder shower, and the jacket was flawless. As long as I kept moving, I was comfortably. It has a vent in the back and you can completely open the jacket under the arms for air to flow. When I reached Newmarket on the way home I hit very heavy rain... no worries, just zipped up the arms and zipped the front to my neck and I was bone dry. I'm very happy with this jacket... easily replaces the Olympia.

klim-traverse-jacket-5670.jpg

I've also had my Aerostich AD-1 pants for a bit now, and they are starting to grow on me. At first they were very rigid and not very comfortable, but now they are breaking in. The armour in these pants doesn't move. It seems to cup my knee and works well. They are also Goretex, so no cover or anything is needed. I do wish they had some venting that could be opened and closed, but that would likely reduce the waterproofness. Instead, on hot days like today, I found what helped was to keep my feet on the highway pegs so the air can flow up my legs. I was wearing shorts under the AD-1s so that kept me comfortable enough.

ad1_pants_lg.jpg

It took awhile, but I finally have riding gear I am happy with.

ad1_pants_lg.jpg

And with the clearly marked front and back there's almost no chance on wearing the pants backwards.

I bought a pair of custom ones at the bike show, 100 bucks well spent, I don't even feel them after hours of riding, I can't do any other ones
wow more block than -33 - yikers....

What was the cost of the custom ones.

Wife threw out my custom earplugs because they were gross looking - don't leave them lying around.

Im looking at Motoport when I can afford it; buying new tires this year, maybe next year.

For rain I normally just throw a 2xl mec jacket over top, but that won't work as well for multi-day trips without some modification; it still has the hood. I hate having to take a jacket off in the rain to put a liner into it.

I would suggest a Rev'It Sand II jacket if you're looking for something modular. I have the original version but I don't use it much since I prefer to tour in leather and use rain gear over my regular gear to stay dry. I just don't think the waterproof liners work as well as wearing the waterproof layer over top but that's just me.

Hey Gary
You mentioned that you prefer to tour in leather and you mentioned the Rev'IT pants, but not what jacket you tour in.
I also prefer to tour in leather and am looking to get a perforated leather jacket (likely A-Stars), but would be curious as to what you (or anyone else reading this thread) wear.
Cheers,
Rob

I've spent way too much on gloves only to learn that there's no such thing as waterproof gloves...or at least they don't stay that way for long. I took apart my last pair of Racer gloves with a Hipora membrane and the membrane was basically just looked like a plastic bag melted into a subpar glove. I just use dollar store rubbers inside those racers now and I've never felt a drop of water with them on.

I would disagree, though it is hard to find a good quality water proof glove that actually does work. I have one pair that keeps my hands dry in the rain, the only pair of rain gloves in almost 20 years of riding. They are first gear gloves, I cannot remember the model name will have to take a look when I get home from work. The salesman told me it was basically the same tech as goretex. It was about $50 cheaper then a pair of goretex gloves so I decided to give the a try. Bought them 2 years ago before a trip out to Nova Scotia. A 2 week trip with rain every single day, not just spitting but heavy rains, the gloves held up fantastic and still do to this day. Hands were dry the entire time.

Last edited:
I have a very pricy pair of Klim goretex armoured gloves with titanium knuckle protection on that are waterproof...got them in that nuts 50% deal on some Canadian website a few years back.

I have a very pricy pair of Klim goretex armoured gloves with titanium knuckle protection on that are waterproof...got them in that nuts 50% deal on some Canadian website a few years back.
Would that be Crazy Al's? I got a Sena dual set, a Scala G9 dual set, and two full Olympia suits on that sale.

Welp, a year on and I sold my Olympia Dakar jacket. I decided that having three pieces didn't work for me, and I didn't really like how the waterproof layer was meant to go inside the outer jacket.

Now I have a Klim Traverse (thanks Booya for the deal), and it works very well. I rode all day today (700+ km) to Bon Echo and back plus some meandering in 30+ degree heat and a thunder shower, and the jacket was flawless. As long as I kept moving, I was comfortably. It has a vent in the back and you can completely open the jacket under the arms for air to flow. When I reached Newmarket on the way home I hit very heavy rain... no worries, just zipped up the arms and zipped the front to my neck and I was bone dry. I'm very happy with this jacket... easily replaces the Olympia.

klim-traverse-jacket-5670.jpg

I've also had my Aerostich AD-1 pants for a bit now, and they are starting to grow on me. At first they were very rigid and not very comfortable, but now they are breaking in. The armour in these pants doesn't move. It seems to cup my knee and works well. They are also Goretex, so no cover or anything is needed. I do wish they had some venting that could be opened and closed, but that would likely reduce the waterproofness. Instead, on hot days like today, I found what helped was to keep my feet on the highway pegs so the air can flow up my legs. I was wearing shorts under the AD-1s so that kept me comfortable enough.

ad1_pants_lg.jpg

Glad you like it.

Would that be Crazy Al's? I got a Sena dual set, a Scala G9 dual set, and two full Olympia suits on that sale.

Thats the one. I posted the deal here and couldn't remember the name. I made out like a bandit too...got TCX goretex boots, Olympia jacket, Klim gloves and a cardo Scala G9. Keep hoping to see something similar pop up again.....wishful thinking.

Thats the one. I posted the deal here and couldn't remember the name. I made out like a bandit too...got TCX goretex boots, Olympia jacket, Klim gloves and a cardo Scala G9. Keep hoping to see something similar pop up again.....wishful thinking.

Do they even exist any more?

If I google Crazy Al's or bikerleathers.ca (which is what their website used to be) I can't find any working webpage -- just links to directory listings that are likely out of date. I suppose I could pick up a phone.

Back
Top Bottom