Touring gear recommendations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring gear recommendations?

Motorcycle Mike

What do you guys use for riding gear on your tours?

I just returned from a 8000+km tour, and some of my gear needs replacing. I am also not overly happy with the performance of some of it.

Boots
For now I am just using original swat tactical boots with a zipper side and composite toes/plate.
I got something like this in case I rode to work as I need safety shoes at work, however I almost never ride to work so I guess I don't need that.

What I do need is something that is truly waterproof and protection for riding dangers, but at the same time I need to be able to walk in them -- possibly hike a km, and not look like a moron walking around in motocross boots. Any suggestions?

Jackets:
Currently I have a cheap Pakistan made leather jacket I bought at a flea market for $150. It has decent padding on the shoulders, lower back, etc, also has vents that can open and big pockets. It actually works well. It can take light rain, keeps me fairly warm with the liner in and vents closed, and is not too hot with the liner removed and vents open. It has lasted me about 7 years, so I think I got my value out of it.

I also have a JR Phoenix 11.0 textile that I use for hot days. It works well keeping me cool, but obviously has no rain protection (I lost the waterproof liner). I also hate the pocket zippers -- they always seem to jam and piss me off more often than not.

I want something modular. I would like to carry just one jacket that can keep me warm and dry if that is what I need or, cool with lots of air flow if the conditions call for it. I have no problem going for the adventure look if I need to -- recommendations?

Gloves
I think I am more or less sorted here.

I have Velocity heated gloves for cold days. The did get wet on one of the days of torrential downpouring in Newfoundland, but I don't know if the gloves leaked or water got in at the cuff, what... Next time I will cover them with my goretex over-gloves and see if that helps.

I also ride with a pair of tour master gloves for hot days, and have a pair of leather gauntlet gloves too.

Pants
I used a pair of Bilt riding pants on this trip, but I don't like them much. When it is hot out, I get too hot in them. They don't breathe at all and I can't stand them.
When it is cold and rainy they work okay, but I still manage to get wet up to my ankles somehow... maybe through capillary action through my wet boots and socks.
The biggest problems, however, are the following: The zippers suck -- I can almost never open or close the leg zippers without them snagging the sides (like the Joe Rocket jacket pockets). I also hate that these pants have no pockets at all -- absolutely no place to keep anything.

What I want to find probably doesn't exist. I would love a pant that can keep me dry but still has air flow and has some pockets. I don't even care if they are insulated as I can wear warm gear underneath. Dry with airflow would work for me -- oh, and not look like too much of an idiot walking around in them. Is that asking too much?

So what have you guys used over the long term that seems to work well?

I've been wearing a pair of Dianese TRQ Tour Gore-Tex boots for a couple of seasons and no matter how hard the rain comes down my feet have been bone dry. They offer great protection and are pretty easy to walk in. They're a bit pricey but in this case you get what you pay for. If you go this route make sure you try them on as they fit quite small and narrow but there is a removable insole for adjustability
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-st-trq-tour-goretex

I would suggest a Rev'It Sand II jacket if you're looking for something modular. I have the original version but I don't use it much since I prefer to tour in leather and use rain gear over my regular gear to stay dry. I just don't think the waterproof liners work as well as wearing the waterproof layer over top but that's just me.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-sand-2-jacket

Rev'It Gear II pants is my choice. Again, I like to tour in leather for that extra protection but these pants have ventilation as well. In the cooler weather I put the waterproof line in and add a pair of long johns. Rain gear over top for the wet rides here as well.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-gear-2-leather-pants

Good gear that's weather appropriate can make even the most miserable days on the road somewhat fun. Over the years I've tried different things and now I'm pretty well set up to be comfortable whatever nature throws at me. A couple of years ago I was riding in the eastern US in May and dealt with 34 degrees in Alabama with ridiculous humidity and 2 degrees a day or two later in the hills of Virginia and was prepared for both.

Everyone is different in what they want, need or how much tye want ot spend.

For me I have come to realize the crazy amount of money I spent on my Roadcrafter (Two piece) has been an absolute bargain compared to what i used before I got it. My Roadcrafter has over 250,000 km of being used in just about every kind of weather you can imagine. Goes on and off in seconds is fairly water resistant, vents well in hot weather (when moving) and is comfy enough with layers under it in cold weather.

I like the Alpinestar Web-Goretex boots combined with Tilley Travel Dress socks. The combination has served me well in temperatures ranging from -16°c to over +50°c (Death Valley.)

I have three or four pairs of gloves and use Aerostich Rain overgloves when there is any serious amount of rain.

..Tom

For the last several years, I have been using Olympia Gear - It's about middle of the pack in terms of price, quality, styling and protection. I now have a Motoport Kevlar Suit, which might become my new touring gear, because the protection is top end.

Jacket: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-x-moto-jacket
I am currently using the X-Moto jacket which has excellent venting for hot weather, removable cold weather liner, removable waterproof liner, very water resistant outer shell, a lot of pockets, built-in / removable hydration backpack and back luggage pouch. This jacket is comfortable between 30deg and -15deg temps. Until I got this jacket, I used an Olympia AST jacket for about 100,000km and really liked it. The AST is a well-vented and fully waterproof jacket where the outer shell is waterproof.

Pants: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-ranger-3-over-pants
I am currently using my Ranger3 pants. The Ranger 3 are a well built, excellent fitting waterproof pant which I have tested in very heavy downpours. The outer shell is totally waterproof, which keeps the weight down when they are rained on. They also have a liner for colder weather. These are comfortable between 25deg and -15deg temps. They are a snug fit and have two large outer cargo style pockets and 4 other smaller pockets. They also have full length zippers/velcro down the legs, so getting in and out of them does not require taking your boots off.

Boots: http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-web-gore-tex-boots
I wear the Alpinestar Web Gortex because I wanted a pair I could stand on my feet all day when off the bike, yet offer me waterproof capability when riding in heavy rains. My last pair of these lasted me about 150,000km before they started to crack at the toes and leak. The second pair I am using has about 60,000km on them and are still in awesome condition. These boots are extremely comfortable, which I have done 5km hikes in. They are really easy and fast to get in and out of.

I agree with the Olympia gear recommendation. Great value for money. As for boots, I have Sidi gortex air boots that keep me bone dry and breathe well for the summer, for winter I have BMW allround gortex boots. I have some Klim gortex gloves too but I would never have bought them if they were not on sale. Very expensive stuff.

Another vote for Olympia - I wore Shane's old jacket on our James Bay trip... it's truly convertible and for those times when I know it's going to rain hard, I throw basic rain suit over it and have nothing to worry about. I use Teknic jet stream 2 piece... always carry it, it takes very little room. Be sure to go one size up as it's worn over the gear. RevIt also makes great rain suits.

I have 2 sets of leathers and never use them for touring, textile/ballistic is the only way to go.

For gloves, I alternate between shorty summer gloves and cold/rain JR gloves... Again, if it's going to be hours of rain, I would put Dollarama black industrial gloves over and tape them... Weatherproofing often fails between the layers (jacket and gloves or pants and boots), perfecting this may take some trial and error...

I'm still looking for ideal boots (without breaking the bank :) ) has to be Goretex or similar breathable membrane stuff for sure.

I use BMW Allround boots year round. Waterproof and reasonably comfy to walk around in, if only they looked better.

Jacket and pants are Teknic Freeway. Used to be waterproof, not anymore. Decent in colder weather, not so much above the mid 30's. Excellent bargain if there's a store still clearing them out as Teknic went bust. Will probably fork out the money for Klim next time around.

I tour in a two piece AGV leather suit with race boots and gauntlet gloves.

If it rains, I put on a 1 piece rain suit, boot covers and large dishwasher gloves. I don't wan to tour in anything less than my leather suit

I had a look at the Olympia Airglide 4 jacket today and it might suit my purpose -- it has two liners, a thermal liner and a rain jacket that can go in, out, or can be worn on it's own.

The zippers seemed much higher quality than Joe Rocket zippers. Now I'm just wondering if it is worth the $350 price tag -- or whatever I could get a Canadian retailer down to -- I suppose it might be, as it would certainly replace my Phoenix 11 and would probably be a suitable replacement for my leather jacket as well.

I haven't had as much luck with boots though. Does anyone know what shop might have the Alpinestar Web Goretex in stock?

I've been to Cycle World West, and they only had Icon boots that I didn't really like the feel of, and Royal didn't have anything I liked. I also happened to be in Crazy Al's today. All of his boots are either tactical style or the squared toed cruiser style, either of which I could ride with provided they are truly waterproof. The sales guy there recommended Bates boots with goretex, but they are a lot of money and I have never heard of them.

I don't know if they have them in this second but I've bought my Web Goretex boots from GP Bikes.. If they don't have them in stock they seem to get them very quickly.

..Tom

I don't know if they have them in this second but I've bought my Web Goretex boots from GP Bikes.. If they don't have them in stock they seem to get them very quickly.

..Tom

Yep, they were in stock -- I went there today and tried them on. Not too bad... but I haven't bit the bullet yet.

I also tried on a bunch of jackets and pants... leaning towards a Olympia Airglide or a Dakar... both have the 3 piece set and seem to be able to do what I need.

Pants... still don't know. Haven't seen much which really impressed me yet.

Web goretex boots rock!
rode for three days in heavy rain and my feet were bone dry....there are better boots, protection-wise, but for waterproofness, they are great. Mine are part of the dedicated rain kit now.

Web goretex boots rock!
rode for three days in heavy rain and my feet were bone dry....there are better boots, protection-wise, but for waterproofness, they are great. Mine are part of the dedicated rain kit now.

Just ordered a pair.

Motorcycle Superstore has last year's model on clearout prices ($189) because a revamped version is coming out.
Luckily the only size left happened to be my size (9). Now I just have to cruise to Niagara Falls NY one of these days and pick them up.

I am also sitting here ready to pull the trigger on a Olympia Dakar jacket... Crazy Al's / bikerleather.ca just emailed me a 15% off fall coupon... so its the same price to buy here as in the US, and with free shipping too. I'm just a touch hesitant to spend $400 on a jacket I only tried on for about 2 minutes at gpbikes earlier today.

Any recommendations for tall (6,3"), slim physiques? And good options for women?

Last edited:
GP Bikes has the Olympia X Moto jacket on sale, half price $282.95 until August 30, though only available in larger sizes. Olympia is good quality, mid line stuff. I've worn an Air Glide 3 for three years; great jacket, durable, versatile, comfortable three season solution.

thumb3.php

One of the vendors at Mosport this past weekend had stacks of BMW Allround boots, $149.95. Not sure who it was, though. Serpa BMW, perhaps? They usually retail for about $250, so this is a smoking good deal, though it should be noted that their inventory was of an older version of the boot. The older version is made in Italy, the new ones in Romania; not sure if it makes a difference, nor do I know if one is better than the other. The Allround boot is Gore-Tex, doesn't look storm trooperish, comfortable, keeps my feet dry. I own the newer version; very happy with them.

New:

All%20Round%20Boots-500x500.png

Old:

laarzen_9.jpg

I have a Klim Badlands Pro
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-badlands-pro-jacket

Fantastic jacket, big vents that let a lot of air through when moving. It is also Goretex, which I am sold on now on a trip out to Nova Scotia last year ended up being 2 weeks of rain. I stayed dry in this jacket, it really held up. Unlike other waterproof jackets I have had, this one actually breaths well and has amazing vents. It costs a pretty penny, but it is a high quality jacket that I have no regrets in purchasing.

For boots I wear the Sidi Canyon goretex books. I am a big fan of Sidi, they have been the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. Again goretex, so waterproof, guaranteed. I have many times worn my boots all day at work in the summer. Now it could never replace a good shoe in all comfort, its far from terrible. Not sure if I would want to hike a few km's in any boot like this, but I don't think it would be terrible compared to other boots out there.
http://www.dualsportplus.com/product_p/sidi-canyon.htm

Web goretex boots rock!

I love the boots but I think that in reality I think any Goretex Motorcycle boot that fits well will do a great job.

I have found the type of socks I wear in the bots makes a huge difference for me. In my case a seasoned rider suggested I try Tilley Travel Dress socks. I took his advice and as a result they are the only socks I wear for almost everything. On the bike they have served me well inside my Web Goretex boots temperatures ranging from over 50 c (in Death Valley) to a 50 minute commute at -16.

..Tom

Back
Top Bottom