Touring gear recommendations? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring gear recommendations?

I concur on socks being important - I got some geared for hunting to go with the boots and they make it very comfortable both riding and walking.

•••

I like Olympia gear...
thumb3.php

that's tempting

I love the boots but I think that in reality I think any Goretex Motorcycle boot that fits well will do a great job.

I have found the type of socks I wear in the bots makes a huge difference for me. In my case a seasoned rider suggested I try Tilley Travel Dress socks. I took his advice and as a result they are the only socks I wear for almost everything. On the bike they have served me well inside my Web Goretex boots temperatures ranging from over 50 c (in Death Valley) to a 50 minute commute at -16.

..Tom
Are you describing their cotton socks? Or the merino wool 'walking socks'?

I have a few pairs of tech socks but find they compress my feet too much after a long day. They do stay warm when wet though, much better than my every day cotton socks.

Cotton socks a non starter tho - poly or poly blends....dry quick....again the hunting fishing guys have terrific selection.

Last edited:
Are you describing their cotton socks? Or the merino wool 'walking socks'?

I have a few pairs of tech socks but find they compress my feet too much after a long day. They do stay warm when wet though, much better than my every day cotton socks.

I read of a fair amount of long distance motorcycle riders using merino wool, but I'm talking about Tilley's synthetic socks. They aren't cotton or merino wool but are synthetic. Here what it says on their web site:

FABRIC:
Made from 49% polypropylene (with alphasan), 46% nylon and 5% Spandex. This blended fabric gives our socks their excellent moisture wicking action, fast-drying capability, durability, and comfort.

They have become the only socks I wear for anything except skiing... Dress socks with suit and tie, workout socks of the treadmill, riding socks, casual socks.

..Tom

I like Olympia gear...
thumb3.php

that's tempting
I bought this same jacket - the Olympia X Moto from Crazy Al's last year at 50% off. It is a very good jacket and does very well for what it advertises, namely being 3 season jacket that offers good versatility and is comfortable to wear.

A few negative things about it...
This jacket could be pretty much totally waterproof if it had proper zippers on the sleeve vents (like their old AST model). The zippers on the XMoto are just normal zippers and water easily gets in at this point. It would be nice if the whole outer shell was waterproof AND the venting zippers were taped.
The clear pocket on the sleeve got a crack + pinhole the day I first used it, from the edge of a folded piece of paper. It shouldn't be clear and would be better served as a durable key pocket like I have on my Motoport Riva jacket which is so much better built....
The button tab at the very bottom of the jacket that cinches the waist at the front failed on me about a week into owning the jacket.
The velcro cuffs on the sleeves are starting to separate from the actual jacket after a few months use... Same thing has happened on every Olympia jacket I have ever owned, but usually not until at least 50,000km...
The velcro closure at the neck fits really tight and I don't have a big neck or some sickly adams apple either. All Olympia jackets are seem to be this way...
I have not used the hydration sack, because it has a small bladder and I prefer to ride with my hydration knapsack which holds 2 litres... I'm not sure what to do with a 500ml bladder, because they can be a bit of a pain to refill.

For me these are minor things, considering the rest of the jacket versatility and quality. I get the velcro cuffs properly fixed with some stitching and pretty much just let everything else be. Their Airglide pants and Ranger pants are quite good, but be wary of the knee armour moving around quite a bit with the Airglide pants. They stay in place with the Ranger pants because these are more fitted.

Last edited:
I considered the X-moto, as I saw them at 1/2 price or so at GPbikes, but I didn't find any in my size or preferred colour... they were all 2XL or larger. If any big guys are reading this, you can probably find one at GPBikes.

I went ahead with the Olympia Dakar instead... I like how it's 3-piece and can probably be the one jacket I bring on rides, with perhaps the addition of a goretex over-jacket that I carry anyway for the really wet days.

Cool - I can match my new helmet :D

afxfx55_hi_vis_helmet_detail.jpg

Bow they'll really think I'm a cop ....

Matching outfits :rolleyes:

ICON_pdx_shell_hiviz_yellowLG.jpg

It's continue to carry the polyprop Icon to be completely dry and as a warmth layer. I have lots of storage.
I'd be interested in your feed back - in particular weight and stiffness.

Last edited:
Regarding the hunting gear recommendations... that is a possibility, as I am a hunter as well so I dual purpose my gear as much as possible.

The reason I wanted specific recommendations and went with the web-goretex boot, however, is because just one year ago I bought a pair of 'waterproof' Original Swat boots, and while they have been water resistant to some degree, they have never been waterproof. Reviews for the Original Swat were decent, but they didn't necessarily come from motorcyclists dealing with front wheel splashes or passing car splashes; they most likely dealt with people who occasionally stepped in a puddle, walked in the rain, or walked through snow in them.

Now, I could wear my truly waterproof, rated to -100 C, hunting boots, but I don't think I'd be able to shift with them.

So, before I drop another couple hundred on a pair of boots that might work, I asked for advice, received advice, and went with it... I hope I can get years of dry service out of my web-goretex.

I bought this same jacket - the Olympia X Moto from Crazy Al's last year at 50% off. It is a very good jacket and does very well for what it advertises, namely being 3 season jacket that offers good versatility and is comfortable to wear.

A few negative things about it...
This jacket could be pretty much totally waterproof if it had proper zippers on the sleeve vents (like their old AST model). The zippers on the XMoto are just normal zippers and water easily gets in at this point. It would be nice if the whole outer shell was waterproof AND the venting zippers were taped.
The clear pocket on the sleeve got a crack + pinhole the day I first used it, from the edge of a folded piece of paper. It shouldn't be clear and would be better served as a durable key pocket like I have on my Motoport Riva jacket which is so much better built....
The button tab at the very bottom of the jacket that cinches the waist at the front failed on me about a week into owning the jacket.
The velcro cuffs on the sleeves are starting to separate from the actual jacket after a few months use... Same thing has happened on every Olympia jacket I have ever owned, but usually not until at least 50,000km...
The velcro closure at the neck fits really tight and I don't have a big neck or some sickly adams apple either. All Olympia jackets are seem to be this way...
I have not used the hydration sack, because it has a small bladder and I prefer to ride with my hydration knapsack which holds 2 litres... I'm not sure what to do with a 500ml bladder, because they can be a bit of a pain to refill.

For me these are minor things, considering the rest of the jacket versatility and quality. I get the velcro cuffs properly fixed with some stitching and pretty much just let everything else be. Their Airglide pants and Ranger pants are quite good, but be wary of the knee armour moving around quite a bit with the Airglide pants. They stay in place with the Ranger pants because these are more fitted.

I got my AST in that Crazy Al deal too....along with Sidi gortex boots, gortex klim gloves and a scala set. Now that was a good sale!

I love the AST as it has a waterproof shell and the venting is awesome. Great combo. I've worn it on some of the hottest days and it does the job. I don't like stopping the bike to don a rain suit or change liners if it rains. I like to keep going.

Regarding the hunting gear recommendations... that is a possibility, as I am a hunter as well so I dual purpose my gear as much as possible.

The reason I wanted specific recommendations and went with the web-goretex boot, however, is because just one year ago I bought a pair of 'waterproof' Original Swat boots, and while they have been water resistant to some degree, they have never been waterproof. Reviews for the Original Swat were decent, but they didn't necessarily come from motorcyclists dealing with front wheel splashes or passing car splashes; they most likely dealt with people who occasionally stepped in a puddle, walked in the rain, or walked through snow in them.

Now, I could wear my truly waterproof, rated to -100 C, hunting boots, but I don't think I'd be able to shift with them.

So, before I drop another couple hundred on a pair of boots that might work, I asked for advice, received advice, and went with it... I hope I can get years of dry service out of my web-goretex.
My Web Gortex survived a collision with a deer on the 404 and went on to give me seven years of service until last week when the toes and heels got wet, although that may have been water infiltration through my rain pants and down my calf into the boot.

Tingley rubber overboots keep me dry. I want breathable boots when its hot out and don't mind putting on overboots ffor the odd occasion I ride in the rain. I got mine from Amazon: Www.tingleyrubber.com

I have a 1 piece scorpion passport ill throw on for touring, or I just keep my tourmaster rainsuit in the bags for just in case. Easier to replace raingear than protective gear, but that's just my preference.

Just tried a new mix for the water bottle that my bicycle riding buddy swears by.

I get a bit groggy mind afternoon but hate to over do the coffee.

This stuff tastes good, rehydrates and you get your caffiene fix.
Really worked today for me - even driving into the sun which normally puts me to sleep this kept me awake despite being sleep short last night. Several flavours

starbucks_via_refreshers_berry_0.jpg

Starbucks VIA Refreshers™ Very Berry Hibiscus combines tangy blackberry with hints of hibiscus, sweet ginger and lemongrass, and pairs that with the natural energy from green coffee extract, from unroasted coffee beans. It's a breakthrough in instant refreshment that tastes nothing like coffee. Light, juicy and thirst-quenching, with a natural boost of caffeine. Enjoy Starbucks VIA Refreshers™ wherever the moment takes you.

get your caffeine fix on the fly

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

I ended up getting a pair of Alpinestar Web Goretex boots at clear-out pricing of $180 from Motorcycle Superstore.
I also got a Olympia Dakar jacket for $349.

I picked up both at CBI and rode the south shore of Lake Ontario in the sweltering heat on Tuesday. I was comfortable in both the boots and jacket as long as I was moving. Wednesday I did a huge circle from New York (Watertown area) to Vermont and back. I got the boots broken in and discovered all of the usefulness of the jacket's many pockets and thermal liner in the morning to good airflow in later in the day.

I also found good use for my tilley socks -- thanks for that recommendation. For some reason I don't like the tilley dress socks in my work shoes, for that I prefer wool or cotton, but these tilley dress socks are perfect for the web goretex boots.

I already love these boots, although I didn't get a chance to check their waterproof-ness yet. So far they have been comfortable to me in 15 to 35 degree weather, and that is where most of my riding takes place.

Last edited:
Hey guys, pretty new to the site, but I've done some searching and lurking in the shadows and haven't seen too specific for rain suits.

Are their any you guys recommend? Right now I've been using a goretex jacket and heavy duty rain pants under my gear... It works pretty well, but leaves the gear still wet the next day.

I'm looking for any truly good over suit recommendations. My buddy has one and he still gets pretty wet after a good amount of hours.

I'm doing a weekend ride up to Sudbury/north bay area from Toronto and really don't want to be soggy with the weather in low teens :S

Woo touring!!! :)

Damian

?..

I also found good use for my tilley socks -- thanks for that recommendation. For some reason I don't like the tilley dress socks in my work shoes, for that I prefer wool or cotton, but these tilley dress socks are perfect for the web goretex boots.

What I especially like in my dress socks is that they don't ever fall down (lose their elasticity) like pretty much every cotton sock I have had. They also seem to last almost forever.

Of course everyone's different... But since I ride to work every day in suit and tie they work well for me.

..Tom

Bought a pair of BMW Transitions from Wolf years ago, never looked back. After ruining my ankle wearing work boots, I was looking for the best ankle protection I could find without looking like a power ranger. I was thinking about motocross boots until I found these. They aren't the best looking, but they aren't awful.

122_0604_z+bmw_transition_boot.jpg

Are they Waterproof?

Very, hours of riding through hurricanes and nothing came in. Your feet still get damp from sweat as they are goretex, not activetex, but I don't know if anyone has that problem solved.

Cool - I'vr never had damp feet with the hunting boots...perhaps because they are not insulated. They are not for most riders as there is no reinforcement for shifting but are excellent on the Burgman..
I like the ankle reinforcement on the transitions.
The hunting boots come up nice and high and good support but no armor.

I'm looking for any truly good over suit recommendations. My buddy has one and he still gets pretty wet after a good amount of hours.

I gave up on breathable as gortex "wets" and then leaks.

I use the Icon and it is waterproof...BUT - you have to be very careful sealing any jacket around your neck and down the front....take the time as it pays off. Plus the Icon is super visible for riding in the rain and fog.

ICON_pdx_shell_hiviz_yellowLG.jpg

I had a black helmet, black rain jacket and a grey bike and realized I was completely invisible in fog/rain one night.
Got the Icon the next day....done well for a few years now.
That said - a second breathable layer as a jacket liner helps too with warm and dry.
The moisture goes between the that layer and the Icon - so the riding jacket might be a bit damp but you are dry.
The Icon is long as well which I like and packs down decently small into the hood.
I use it for both warmth and rain.

This morning it was 12 and bright sun and it was VERRRRRRY welcome on the slab S of Lake Erie.
It'll come off soon as it warms up.

Back
Top Bottom