Best Southern BBQ in the GTA? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best Southern BBQ in the GTA?

Last edited:
Who knew that that gas station would eventually be reincarnated as something useful. I'll stop in next time I am in the area and check it out. Thanks for the tip.

The hours can be a bit sketchy so check before you go (I beleive they're closed on Mondays as well). There's a Shiva's Chicken going in just up the road from there as well.

BigboneBBQ.ca AKA Memphis BBQ and wicked wings is my favorite at the moment, I go to the Milton location and its great. The mini combo for like $15 is great, 4 ribs and 4 wings with slaw, beans, and fries does me good almost every time. Or the bigbone combo if you can fit it in, thats on my really hungry days.....

RD's BBQ was really good too, but a very different kind of sauce compared to the traditional southern sauces Im used too, little bit of spice added

Phils on College street used to be good for brisket and their sauces, but they closed down for some reason

If your into brisket sandwiches I really like The brisket in Mississauga, they have a brisket melt that is pretty good, only bad thing I can say is sometimes they run out of the regular Kaiser style bun and use some other bun I dont like at all

Ive heard so many good things being said about Holy Smokes in Mississauga. I went there and it was probably the worst brisket sandwich Ive ever had LOL So I guess good BBQ is an varies by opinion

Other then that I smoke my own beef ribs, and no restaurant Ive been too has been better then them

Last edited:
RD's southern BBQ in Brampton

I live down the street from RD's. I've had it twice and won't go back. Maybe just unlucky with them. My vote is for Memphis BBQ in Woodbridge.

I live down the street from RD's. I've had it twice and won't go back. Maybe just unlucky with them. My vote is for Memphis BBQ in Woodbridge.

And only the one in Woodbridge. Food is fantastic. Get the Elvis platter. I get Memphis about once a month.

The Milton location Memphis BBQ is about 2kms from my house, its a legitimate problem. I'm there far too often. Best BBQ I've ever had was Fat Matt in Atlanta. If you ever find yourself in Atlanta its worth the detour, and I've eaten in the other 25 bbq places in Altanta.
Camp 31 is pretty good and makes an ok lunch stop if your out Paris way. Phils on college just didn't seem like it was a thriving business.

Has anyone tried http://www.hungryhollow.ca in Georgetown? I just noticed them the other day when I drove through, but they weren't there a few years ago.

Yup, I was going to add them to the list. I've been there a bunch of times, even took a friend originally from Alabama, he approved! Good eating and worth the stop... just a heads up though, don't go during the high school's lunch break! All the kids cross the street and there is nowhere to sit.

Once again, I challenge anyone who likes big bone bbq, to try the original in Woodbridge. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. Sonny, Crankcall, I'm only a few blocks away, I'll meet you there!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Edit: I also want to know if it's as good as I think it is, and not that I'm just stubborn.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. We went out to camp 31 and the food is tops.

Not only is the food good, the place feels like a real bbq joint. Cords of smoking wood piled outside and you can smell the deliciousness when entering, surrounded by the rustic decor. Damn, I should be a restaurant critic.

Once again, I challenge anyone who likes big bone bbq, to try the original in Woodbridge. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. Sonny, Crankcall, I'm only a few blocks away, I'll meet you there!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Edit: I also want to know if it's as good as I think it is, and not that I'm just stubborn.

I'm up that way every couple weeks, I'll come eat BBQ. I eat at the Milton Memphis/big Bone location but I'd try the other , its interesting how much difference there can be from location, source same wood and meat suppliers, but the guy putting it together has a lot of influence on the finished product.
Memphis style isn't my favorite BBQ , I'd lean more towards Kansas or Texas, west Texas not that crazy barbacoa stuff. I have a connection to the south west US and the cowboy BBQ is more my thing . But I'll eat anybodies Q.

I'm up that way every couple weeks, I'll come eat BBQ. I eat at the Milton Memphis/big Bone location but I'd try the other , its interesting how much difference there can be from location, source same wood and meat suppliers, but the guy putting it together has a lot of influence on the finished product.

Memphis style isn't my favorite BBQ , I'd lean more towards Kansas or Texas, west Texas not that crazy barbacoa stuff. I have a connection to the south west US and the cowboy BBQ is more my thing . But I'll eat anybodies Q.

My knowledge of bbq is limited to the gta. Haven't ventured to the southern states...yet.
I don't know all the deets, but this is what I've heard through the grapevine:
This location was bought from original owners years ago, that started Memphis BBQ in the old PVD shop (Pine Valley Drive In, burger joint, small, old, grease dripping from the ceilings), This guy, his dad, and brother made a name for this place. Somehow original owners deal is they retained rights to name, logo etc. but this location is not a franchise. Then original owners start selling off franchises. Maybe I'm delusional, but I'm thinking the blood, sweat, tears and pure love of food that these guys have put into it make the food taste better than some guys that bought a turn key franchise. Just my 2c. I await your review.

Short BBQ history, the process is thousands of years old, but the US south is where it made the conversion from poor people food to big lineup dining and it became an art. Carolina is pig, they consider only pig real BBQ, vinegar based sauces and not that sweet. Hogs are converted from feed to meat about six times faster than cattle grow (i'm an ex farmer) so it worked really well as food for slaves. They got the crappy cuts, so perfected a way to smoke (preserve) the meat and slow cook so it was edible. Memphis became one of the places where the sauces got sweeter and was still largely pork. Kansas was the hub where western beef met eastern pork so you started to see beef in BBQ and Texas is largely a beef thing. Dry rubs started mostly in the Kansas markets. The brisket is a western thing. Of course there are dozens of regional varients, Alabama is known for chicken.
While its largely a pretend rivalry now , the east/west divide on pork vs. beef and who makes real bbq has gone on for about 200yrs. North of the mason/Dixon line no one cares and its all delicious.

Want a total treat, stop at a tiny smoke house called Livno's on Steeles ave just west of Trafalgar road in Hornby. They smoke a pork belly and make bacon. Real bacon hot smoked and not 50% water like the crap in the grocery store pack. They also do a tenderloin that's a dry meat , they are eastern European and this is the style, but if you buy a slab of bacon there, and have a sharp knife or slicer it will forever change your view of how bacon should taste.

They smoke a pork belly and make bacon. Real bacon hot smoked and not 50% water like the crap in the grocery store pack. They also do a tenderloin that's a dry meat , they are eastern European and this is the style, but if you buy a slab of bacon there, and have a sharp knife or slicer it will forever change your view of how bacon should taste.

Packaged bacon is so pumped with brine, most of the "frying" time is actually boiling the bacon and removing the water

Back
Top Bottom