Left Hand Turner - Lesson Learned | GTAMotorcycle.com

Left Hand Turner - Lesson Learned

caius

So, I got in a little accident last night with the bike. I went out for a short ride around the neighbourhood and was heading south on a local road. There was a bus a bit of a ways in front of me who pulled into the bus stop lane and I kept going in the left tire track. As I was passing the bus, a lady from a side street on the right, decided to pull out in front of the bus to make a left heading northbound. She didn’t see me and I didn’t see her until it was too late. I got on the brakes and I guess I started to turn slightly right to avoid t-boning her and the bike dropped on the right side and slid away from me.

I’m ok, not injured at all but have a small rug burn on my knee and right hip. My gear did the job. All else is good but the fairings on the right side of the bike need to be replaced. What is really upsetting is that as I was standing up, the lady said, sorry, asked if I was okay and then took off. I didn’t get her plate. It all happened too quick. I stood up, reached down to pick up the bike and she was gone. Who does that?

Just goes to show that stuff can happen even though you are riding safely. I’ve always been diligent about left turners in oncoming traffic but I guess I need to be more mindful of side streets as well. It’s a pretty classic example right out of the MTO guidebook.

So, I got in a little accident last night with the bike. I went out for a short ride around the neighbourhood and was heading south on a local road. There was a bus a bit of a ways in front of me who pulled into the bus stop lane and I kept going in the left tire track. As I was passing the bus, a lady from a side street on the right, decided to pull out in front of the bus to make a left heading northbound. She didn’t see me and I didn’t see her until it was too late. I got on the brakes and I guess I started to turn slightly right to avoid t-boning her and the bike dropped on the right side and slid away from me.

I’m ok, not injured at all but have a small rug burn on my knee and right hip. My gear did the job. All else is good but the fairings on the right side of the bike need to be replaced. What is really upsetting is that as I was standing up, the lady said, sorry, asked if I was okay and then took off. I didn’t get her plate. It all happened too quick. I stood up, reached down to pick up the bike and she was gone. Who does that?

Just goes to show that stuff can happen even though you are riding safely. I’ve always been diligent about left turners in oncoming traffic but I guess I need to be more mindful of side streets as well. It’s a pretty classic example right out of the MTO guidebook.

It's great that you are sharing your story.

This is a great reminder to all of us that we really need to proceed with caution when we can't see through or clearly. Another reason why MTO wants to see head movements all the time during the M2 exit (show awareness of surroundings), even when you are passing an entrance/exit of a plaza to your right.

As for the lady, everyone is so much in a damn hurry these days that I'm not surprised. Sorry about your bike laying down, but the good thing is you walked away and learned something. Ride safe!

OP is a new rider. I'd say inexperience also played a factor in the spill. Tires are great for braking and great for turning but they can't do both at the same time.

They certainly can, but there's obviously limit when the traction will break. Also depends which brake was he slamming on ...

OP should definitely, get her plate. The driver will not learn anything from this experience and he could have a medical problem a week from now ....

OP should definitely, get her plate. The driver will not learn anything from this experience and he could have a medical problem a week from now ....

Would the police actually charge her if there was no contact between the vehicles? If I understand correctly if the OP fell down BEFORE impact then he can be classified at fault for falling, but if he made contact with her coming out into the lane THEN the driver can be charged...but that's my understanding of the law.

OP glad you're ok and were able to walk away with minor injuries.

Would the police actually charge her if there was no contact between the vehicles? If I understand correctly if the OP fell down BEFORE impact then he can be classified at fault for falling, but if he made contact with her coming out into the lane THEN the driver can be charged...but that's my understanding of the law.

If that is the law, then I think it is unfortunate. OP made an evasive maneuver that prevented a certain multi-vehicle accident.

In the eyes of insurance, the OP is substantially at fault as there was no collision. In the eyes of the police, she should get failure to yield or turn not in safety even though there was no contact. She forced the vehicle with the right of way to take evasive action to avoid her.

Glad you walked away OP.

Would the police actually charge her if there was no contact between the vehicles?

Definitely. Absolutely. 100%.
I'm living proof.
Cage pulled a U-turn in my face. Somehow, I avoided the car, but went down.
Car driver got handed two, maybe three tickets.

(the lawyers clean up all details)

I never understood these drivers. Making what is essentially a blind left onto intersecting lanes. I've witnessed this exact accident awhile back, however, the left hand turning driver wasn't so lucky and got t-boned right on the driver side door. Just stupid.

I would have hit her at slow speed, but I'm a nut lol.

Sorry to hear it. You should practice emergency braking. It could save your life next time.

Glad you're ok.
But I would argue that your gear didn't do it's job if you got rashed up.
I've slid at the track at stupid speed and didn't get rashed up. That's gear doing it's job.
A low speed off and you got road rash = gear not doing it's job. Just my opinion.

if she's in your lane hit her. She will end up being at fault. Then you get a fixed up bike. If you never touched her then it's all heresy and she can't be charged/harder to charge.

Today I learned: learn to backflip off a bike and send motorized missiles to ******* drivers/deers/seniorciti..nvm.

I never understood these drivers. Making what is essentially a blind left onto intersecting lanes. I've witnessed this exact accident awhile back, however, the left hand turning driver wasn't so lucky and got t-boned right on the driver side door. Just stupid.

I dont wish anyone harm, but hopefully next time she pulls a stunt like this she meets a fully loaded dump truck and not a motorcycle. Perhaps after that meeting she might learn her lesson

Never pass a vehicle (especially a large one like a bus) at an intersection at speed.

I come across this all the time going along ninth line (single lane), you never know if a car has creeped up to the intersection when you weren't looking/couldn't see. Slow down and always be ready to brake in these cases. Always assume there's a car in a place that you can't see.

Back
Top Bottom