Insurance price question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance price question

Minardi

Hello everyone,

Sorry for creating a dumb thread like this, but I just wanted to double check the price range for motorcycle insurance for young drivers.
I am 20 years old, going to get my M2 in a couple of weeks, did an MoT approved the safety course, and am looking to buy a 250cc beginner's bike like a Honda CBR250R or a Yamaha V-Star 250.
Of course I was also looking for a good enough insurance coverage as well.
The best offers I was able to find were in the low 2000s, namely from Aviva (via Surnet) for full coverage. TDI's online quote was in the vicinity of $6000. That price difference concerns me a bit.
Some of my friends have pointed out to me that insurance premiums in the low $2000 range for a young driver with just the M2 (and Aviva was willing to insure me right then and there as an M2 driver based only on my driving course certificate) and a 250cc bikes are almost too good to be true. Would you say that that is the case? Having done some research I have found that it is not entirely unusual for people to get insurance for around that much, but I just wanted to hear from someone with more experience before I make a decision.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
First year of insurance bend over, I paid 3k my first year for bike insurance then it dropped in half and now five years later I'm paying 700 a year for a 600 ss

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

As long as it is:

-Not an online quote
-You have divulged all information correctly
-stick to smaller bikes

Those rates sound pretty accurate. You can expect anywhere from 2-4k depending on location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on the type of risk, certain insurers have cheaper rates than others.

Aviva has very competitive rates for new riders who have completed the motorcycle training course on a bike 650 cc's and under.

Contact me if you have any further questions/concerns.

Thanks

Sit on your m2 for a year and insurance will half. Give desjardins a call.

First year of insurance bend over, I paid 3k my first year for bike insurance then it dropped in half and now five years later I'm paying 700 a year for a 600 ss

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

How misleading in 5 years time your premium dropped from $3000 to $700. In order for such significant decrease in premium, you must have other combined discount or you had some previous traffic tickets that have gone expired. If not, you must be a fool for not shopping around to get $3000 a year in the first place, because when I was 19 M2, I only paid $1800 for 250cc, and $2800 for 600cc (R6) without any discount nor tickets.

Thank you.

mine went from $2500 when I was 23 to $700 when I was 26. same sv650. only difference was location, moved from Toronto to the east suburbs. and age obviously. now that I 29 it went to $950 this year

every year I shop around.

Back
Top Bottom