Anyone have a Yamaha FZ-07? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone have a Yamaha FZ-07?

Well of course as far as suspension comments, your mileage will vary depending on your weight. I have not seen any test with average tester weight (which normally is considered 175ish lbs) not concluding that the FZ07 suspension is actually better than FZ09 (believe it or not), even though non-adjustable. Yes you can adjust FZ09 (although it does have limited adjustment somwhat) or go for a new cartridge if you want, something FZ07 conventional suspension will not be able to. But, yes it is plenty for twisties, especially the ones on Ontario ... LOL

You are the first one who call it a city bike. I guess there's first for everything.

Well of course as far as suspension comments, your mileage will vary depending on your weight. I have not seen any test with average tester weight (which normally is considered 175ish lbs) not concluding that the FZ07 suspension is actually better than FZ09 (believe it or not), even though non-adjustable. Yes you can adjust FZ09 (although it does have limited adjustment somwhat) or go for a new cartridge if you want, something FZ07 conventional suspension will not be able to. But, yes it is plenty for twisties, especially the ones on Ontario ... LOL

You are the first one who call it a city bike. I guess there's first for everything.

Considering I'm 165 lbs... I'd say with gear I'd be 175 (the proper weight for testing, not a big fatty). I don't know what roads you ride and how quickly, but the suspension stinks lol

Been reading a lot about this bike and it does sound very impressive. I like the fact that suspension is a bit soft. Perfect for Toronto streets. Price is really good that it makes my decision between a used Street Triple and new FZ-07 rather difficult.

My opinion on track days: Any bike is fun on track. It’s not a race.

I have had one for a few weeks now. I love it. I have not run into any issues so far with the bike, I did notice however that the tail lights like to bounce a bit when going over rough road but that seems to be because the mounts are not rigid. I use it as a daily commuter so the suspension is just fine for me and our fair city's pot holes. The big tires are nice for the same reason. I came from a CBR250 and it just made my old bike feel like a toy. It's almost 3x the power and only 40lbs heavier.

I have one too. Bought it at the beginning of July, it's almost ready for the 1000 km service. Matte grey here.
So far I have changed the license plate holder with the original Yamaha accessory and also installed the LED turn signals too. A rad guard is in transit.
I love it. Softer suspension works just fine on the poor roads we came to enjoy after the terrible winter.

OK, so lets say you want an FZ-07, but with ABS, traction control and better suspension. What bikes would that be?

Sv650 or the SFV650, TC really doesn't make sense on bikes under 80 hp.

I agree that Yamaha should at least make ABS an option. Check out the last NTHSA stats, ABS bikes have 37 percent less accidents (so where is the insurance break?).

So I guess a big bastid like myself might have some modding to do. I am 6'5" and close to 300 inglorious pounds. I love both the 7 and the 9. Just unsure where to put my money towards to be honest. And nobody say towards Jenny Craig you M**********rs!:thebirdman:

So I guess a big bastid like myself might have some modding to do. I am 6'5" and close to 300 inglorious pounds. I love both the 7 and the 9. Just unsure where to put my money towards to be honest. And nobody say towards Jenny Craig you M**********rs!:thebirdman:

You'd need a much larger bike..

I think a Supermoto is the way to go then. Will be a second bike. I love my ZX9R too much to sell it. On short jaunts it is second to none IMHO.

Considering I'm 165 lbs... I'd say with gear I'd be 175 (the proper weight for testing, not a big fatty). I don't know what roads you ride and how quickly, but the suspension stinks lol

Oh great now I feel like a big fatty at 210 buck naked..... :D

My weight is pretty harsh on the FZ-09.

Oh great now I feel like a big fatty at 210 buck naked..... :D

My weight is pretty harsh on the FZ-09.

lol Chase, you're not a definitely not a "big fatty" hahaha. 300 lbs on the 07 would kill it lol.

I think a Supermoto is the way to go then. Will be a second bike. I love my ZX9R too much to sell it. On short jaunts it is second to none IMHO.

How did you get from FZ07 to any supermoto? They are like day and night ...

Strictly due to the upright seat position. Looking for something with a less aggressive seating position as opposed to my current ride.

so how is everyone liking this bike? I have an opportunity to replace my NC750S with one of these. As much as i love the NC there are times when
i miss the top end rush. These days in my advanced age of (57) i find i do not go on super long trips anymore. I tend to keep the speed to (rarely) over
40+kph (here you hit the impound law at 40 over.) Love the weight of this FZ07, be like riding my old cbr250 but with tons more power.

If you havent yet, you have to look at (youtube) Cager on Two Wheels. His 2 part review on this bike is hilarious (especially part 2)
The one thing that is keeping me on the edge is no ABS. But on the other hand, the reason i wanted that was i rode all year and since it rains
alot here it is a must have. But this year (got the BWS125) so i no longer ride in the rain at all - on motorcycle- my rain all year ride is now the scooter.
I know how to brake properly and in fact i have never felt the ABS activate on any bike i had with it.

I think this FZ be a very fun bike. i would for sure add a screen to it and probably a small Givi case. One thing i love about the FZ is the 40k valve check interval.
I have until this weekend to decide what to do. Oh and other thing i like is the upright ergo. According to the motorcycle ergo site, it is similar to my NC.
due to health reasons i cannot handle the forward lean sportbike ergo anymore.

The one thing that is keeping me on the edge is no ABS. But on the other hand, the reason i wanted that was i rode all year and since it rains
alot here it is a must have. But this year (got the BWS125) so i no longer ride in the rain at all - on motorcycle- my rain all year ride is now the scooter.
I know how to brake properly and in fact i have never felt the ABS activate on any bike i had with it.

Yeah, ABS is not anything magical. Its a nice to have.. I looked at the FX-09 when it was announced and didnt like the narrow seat. Also it was the first year it was coming out so figured 2nd generation (later models) will iron out the kinks.

Yeah, ABS is not anything magical. Its a nice to have.. I looked at the FX-09 when it was announced and didnt like the narrow seat. Also it was the first year it was coming out so figured 2nd generation (later models) will iron out the kinks.

They already recalled the FZ09 for wiring issues.
ABS is a life saver and has already saved more lives than loud pipes.

Buddy of mine is looking at this as his very first bike.

Any thoughts yay or nay?

I rode one...very easy to ride at low speed, very manoeuvrable, a great gymkhana bike.
Great for commuting, city bike.
Build quality is meh. Brakes could be better at speed. Tiny dash is useless. I could see it as a good first bike.

How did you get from FZ07 to any supermoto? They are like day and night ...

Seating position...same as my kids fz-08....far more upright..

How different are these.

2007-KTM-990-Adventure-Motorcycle-Test-Stermer-031.jpg

ZxDkVfWQAOvoPNFQiZao_IMG_3956w.jpg

in ergos.

I like the move bringing this seating position to intermediate street machines.

So after having the bike for about a month and a half and putting just over 3000 km on it, I have to say I do not regret this purchase at all. Matt I think you need to ride this bike a lot longer then on a demo ride it can do amazing things. Taking corners is not a problem at all. This bike can be leaned over. I'm no pro rider but I can bring the bike down on a sweeping right or left far enough to scrape the curb feelers on the pegs. Power band, it pulls in all other gears too. Not just 1 and 2. The bike just needs to be broken in first properly and then it will start to get better and better. VERY COMFORTABLE bike. As I mentioned before I use it to commute on. An average of 50 km one way everyday.
Gas is great, I'm averaging 4.2 l/100 km, average fill is about $15. I definitely prefer this over my old zx6 I had back in the day and definitely over my Hyosung. Build quality is better then meh. For the money you are getting a great built bike. Dash is good offers info on almost everything. Could use a bit more such as km remaining until empty etc. But that may be just because I'm used to my BMW giving me that info and I've been spoiled by it.
I love how in the past month my insurance decreased on it. I'm now paying $650 for the year. And I don't have a clean record. It's almost as cheap as my hyo was. I have found no need for abs as the breaking is sufficient to stop the bike quickly even at speed. Proper breaking technique helps with that. Abs would be nice but it isn't a necessity.
Now suspension on it is OK for urban riding. Rear is adjustable fronts not so much ( I wish). It holds my weight well but I'm a slim guy. My friend (285lb) took it for a spin and we'll you could see it sagging. He said it was to soft for him but he is used to riding ss. I'm sure if I wanted to purchase stiffer suspension I could but I don't find the need to do so. If I'm going to track then I'll by a track only bike set up for it. As mentioned before by someone else, the suspension set up is more than suitable for our roads.
All in all I am very pleased. Now just to convince the soon to be wife to allow me to spend some more money on modding it over the winter.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom