New tire leaking air | GTAMotorcycle.com

New tire leaking air

gammaguy21

Picked up a set of new Micheline Pilot street radials.

I installed the tires (haven't done many), but the rear was a fight to get on. It was 2am in the morning and I just wanted to get them on and I may have pulled on the lever much harder than I should have.

I managed to seat the bead on the front with no issues. But the rear was a real problem. I tried strapping it around the circumference and then filling it with air (no luck) and ether... in the end I brought it to a local motorcycle guy and he also had issues seating the bead. He managed to in the end with ether.

Initially it was holding air. But it's been a few days and I noticed it's air pressure has dropped down to about 20 psi from 42 psi. I filled it back up, but it dropped down again to 25 psi.

Is the tire pooched? Or should I try breaking the bead and re-sealing it?

Tubeless, I assume?

Check for leaks, especially at the valve stem. Ensure the valve core is tight. A spray bottle of soapy water all over the tire. Look for bubbles and listen.

If you bring me the wheel, I can have a look for you.

Those michelins are the easier tire to install.

spray it down with soapy water and look for bubbles

might just be a damaged valve stem

Ok, once I've used the soap/water and identified where the leak is (if it's not the valve stem/ core) - how do I tell if it's the tire or the rim?
Should I mark on the rim & tire where the leak is and then break the bead and inspect both?

Back
Top Bottom