How long does it take a new rider to progress to a litre bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How long does it take a new rider to progress to a litre bike?

Would you rather date an average 5 girl who works as a cashier at local Walmart or a hands down 10 hottie model? The first one is predictable and shy and wears jeans and a t-shirt. The second has got attitude and temper and dresses up in tight black leather. Both of them will do in the bedroom. But the second one will keep you up on your toes and show you a thing or two you've only heard from tales.
You haven't dated hot chicks, most of them are so used to having guys work so hard to satisfy them that they will mostly just lay there, the cashier at the local wallmart will **** the **** out of you

These threads are funny - Some can start right away, some should never touch anything bigger than a peddle bike!

You haven't dated hot chicks, most of them are so used to having guys work so hard to satisfy them that they will mostly just lay there, the cashier at the local wallmart will **** the **** out of you

These threads are funny - Some can start right away, some should never touch anything bigger than a peddle bike!

Oh, did I offend your gf who works at Walmart? Awww...

I am new to motorcycle, and I am planning to get the ninja 300 for my first bike.
When I called insurance to ask for a quote, I was curious, so I also asked them how much it will be if I buy a R6.
Then the answer is $8400 a year, I was like omg...
Anyways, I know it is a difficult question, because every rider is different, but let's talk about the average...
How long does it take a new rider to have enough experiences and skill to handle a litre bike?
And when the time comes to me that I think it is time to upgrade, should I go straight to litre bike or a 600cc first?

like-omg-thumb.jpg

My contribution to this thread is economics. How much will it cost you to ride a CBR1000RR over 5 years for 25,000 km?

Brand New CBR1000RR: $14,000
Insurance: $42,000 / 5 years
Maintenance/Mods: $4,000 / 5 years
Fuel: $1,833 / 5 years
=====================
Total: $61,833 in 5 years

or $12,366/year
or $1,545/riding month (Apr-Nov)

Comparables:
- 25% down towards a $250k home
- 3 New Honda Civics
- 10 European vacations
- 15 Caribbean cruises

So I think when you are ready depends on your priorities and financial situation. :D

Just enjoy your 300, if you get bored of it get a 600. That's pretty much all you need. 2 of my friends have liter bikes and the only positive thing they say is that they don't have to change the gears so often. A mentioned by previous members the smaller bikes are a lot more fun, and they're a little more forgiving. Unless you care about going faster on a straight line take my advise :)

I have never had a 1,000 super sport. I have ridden one many times, and I have been tempted by the sirens, but the cost and the narrow focus of those machines is ridiculous.

I am ready to own one now, ‘cause I’m getting older. I could afford the insurance, and I have the restrain and experience to help me avoid an accident. Still, I’m not getting one, I want to spread my money in a wide range of experiences, I do not want to dump it all on the motorcycle.

So, when will you be ready? Only you can tell.

Oh, did I offend your gf who works at Walmart? Awww...
lol my wife is a teacher but that actually made me laugh :)

Insurance companies went after litre bikes following the massive accident rates in the early 2000s. This killed litre bike sales. Now, a new statistic bump is appearing, riders over 40 on litre bikes.
These bikes are insane, they are addictive, but at the end of the day, if I get one, I'll either be dead or in jail, because without even paying much attention, I hit 170 on a damned demo ride.
They no longer makes sense. Decades ago, a litre bike meant 90hp, now its close to 200hp. I don't get it. If people just want big power on these things, why not just make a 250hp 1500? Why do they limit to a litre? Car companies don't limit by displacement, they sell 7 litre 700hp muscle cars to old guys all the time.
It takes a huge amount of experience to race a litre bike, >1000 track and race hours, and any pro racer will tell you that power on the street, on street tires, is just stupid.

Over the last 30 years, laws have been more restrictive, traffic is gridlocked, 600s have the power of liter bikes. In the car industry, big power is being matched up with countless electronic nannies for safety, but few liter bikes have that stuff.

I'd buy a liter bike for the track, but on public roads I don't see the point of all that cost and insurance to use 20% of the bike.
Regardless, I don't think SS liter bikes actually sell that well any more.

I don't get it. If people just want big power on these things, why not just make a 250hp 1500? Why do they limit to a litre?
I think tariffs were imposed on imports based on displacement to stem the declining sales of Harleys back in the 80's. So the Japanese were forced to make even better engines.

Would you rather date an average 5 girl who works as a cashier at local Walmart or a hands down 10 hottie model? The first one is predictable and shy and wears jeans and a t-shirt. The second has got attitude and temper and dresses up in tight black leather. Both of them will do in the bedroom. But the second one will keep you up on your toes and show you a thing or two you've only heard from tales.
...and the 10 cost more...and not just $.

I think tariffs were imposed on imports based on displacement to stem the declining sales of Harleys back in the 80's. So the Japanese were forced to make even better engines.
True, but now it's no longer the case. It was limited cause of unwritten agreements between the factories....though that's starting to be moot now.

To the OP....I've ridden cross continent a few times, etc. over my 25+ years riding and haven't owned a liter bike. Haven't needed it yet.

...and the 10 cost more...and not just $.

True, but now it's no longer the case. It was limited cause of unwritten agreements between the factories....though that's starting to be moot now.

To the OP....I've ridden cross continent a few times, etc. over my 25+ years riding and haven't owned a liter bike. Haven't needed it yet.

When it comes to motorcycling, there is no "need". Need for the most part is satisfied by a 2004 Corolla. It's about personal preferences and some kind of intrinsic want mixed with ability and goals. I've also ridden across two continents several times but on litre bikes and man it was great!

Haha, so many great answers.
I dont understand why when people talk about litre bike, many of them link it to track.
Buying a litre bike doesn't mean one have to race it, or bring it to the track.

I dont understand why when people talk about litre bike, many of them link it to track.

If you are talking about a 1 liter super sport... You don't have to race it or take it to the track, but that's the reason that machine was built. That is its purpose.

Or do you really think it is approppriate to ride it in a traffic jam, downtown toronto?

If you are talking about a 1 liter super sport... You don't have to race it or take it to the track, but that's the reason that machine was built. That is its purpose.

Or do you really think it is approppriate to ride it in a traffic jam, downtown toronto?

Riding a bike in this part of the world is a romantic notion. So, no one needs to justify anything to anyone regarding the bike they ride or the reason they ride it. You make it sound like the only option with a litre bike is to be stuck in traffic or balls out at the track.

Have you ridden one?

Ok, it is built for the track. But I don't think it is the "requirement" for one to ride it.
As long as one can ride it safe, and doesn't affect other people, why not?

Silly analogy/not well thought out.

OP. Go straight for the Gsxr litre bike. It's got a button that converts it to a 750 and 600 whenever you want.
YUT UGH.

[video=youtube;Dx4F94DnATY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4F94DnATY[/video]

Let me tell you about my 10 year old ZX10R.

Stock, it did 160 km/h in first gear. Zero to license seizure on any public road in Ontario in 5 seconds or less from a standstill. In first gear.

The throttle is sensitive. Maybe 1 mm throttle opening gives you highway cruising speed. It is too sensitive for me to want to take it on a road course. Things happen VERY quickly when you open that throttle. If you take it to the track, it will eat tires and brake pads and scare the heck out of the rider. But that is what the bike is designed for.

I've modded it to take it to the drag strip because that's about the only place it makes sense (and then ran out of time and haven't had it out this year, but that's another story). Now, with shorter gearing and longer swingarm, it no longer does 160 km/h in first but acceleration is violent. It can't be described any other way. It will also slide the rear tire out in corners on command of that sensitive throttle. Don't make a mistake.

You can't use it as a long distance touring bike - they're not comfortable compared to a more "standard" bike.

You can't use it in city traffic. The riding position is brutal without a headwind taking weight off your wrists. YES, if you are gentle with the throttle and feather the clutch, you can ride slowly. But the cooling system is not designed for city-traffic conditions. The radiator is small (in the interest of saving weight and bulk) and the cooling fan is not up to the task. So ... you can't get stuck in traffic.

Everything a liter bike is built to do, the police and the general public take a dim view of. Riding at high speed. Violent acceleration. Wheelies. Burnouts. Fun - Sure, but you have to make sure no one is looking ... or take it to a closed road course or a drag strip.

And the new ones are faster.

Smaller displacement bikes are easier to maneuver in traffic, don't heat up as much in traffic, a lot of them have much more rational riding positions for daily use, and that's on top of costing less to buy, to insure, to feed with tires and brake pads and gas, etc.

Back
Top Bottom