How long does it take a new rider to progress to a litre bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How long does it take a new rider to progress to a litre bike?

stevenleung0000

I am new to motorcycle, and I am planning to get the ninja 300 for my first bike.
When I called insurance to ask for a quote, I was curious, so I also asked them how much it will be if I buy a R6.
Then the answer is $8400 a year, I was like omg...
Anyways, I know it is a difficult question, because every rider is different, but let's talk about the average...
How long does it take a new rider to have enough experiences and skill to handle a litre bike?
And when the time comes to me that I think it is time to upgrade, should I go straight to litre bike or a 600cc first?

The best riders start with a 125, get bored with it after a month, get a 600, get bored after a season and then upgrade. You seem like a smart, astute individual, so I think you'll be ready for a litre bike next May

The best riders start with a 125, get bored with it after a month, get a 600, get bored after a season and then upgrade. You seem like a smart, astute individual, so I think you'll be ready for a litre bike next May

lol

dont listen to that guy, he has no idea what hes talking about. its all about natural selection. start on a liter bike and if you survive the first season you know you were ready for it.

That depends on what you consider "handle".

99% of riders who own liter bikes can not come within 10 seconds a lap of Jordan Szoke's lap times at Mosport, for example. I fully include myself within that 99% even though I've had a motorcycle license for 25 years and have been roadracing (a much smaller displacement bike) for over 20. I've had 600s out on the track. I'm no faster on those than on my 400. Granted, more seat time would probably change that, but at my age, I don't need to go down that road.

Some people "operate" a motorcycle for decades but never really learn how to ride one properly. Others get a handle on it pretty quickly. There is no "average" worth mentioning. (For what it's worth, I had my license for 15 years before buying my ZX10R ... and honestly, if that bike blew up tomorrow, I likely would not replace it. The smaller bikes are more fun and less trouble and certainly less costly ...)

Liter-plus sport bikes are the definition of insanity on the roads. And I own one.

On race tracks that we have in this area, most riders are equal-or-faster on a 600 everywhere except long straightaways.

The new Ninja 300 is a very good bike. Buy that, and don't think about upgrading it until you've taken an advanced riding course at a racetrack, which will likely open your eyes about what that bike can really do.

I started on a 600 ss and im glad i did, ive been ridding dirtbikes for 5 years tho. As long as you dont get cocky and think you're motogp racer :p you will be fine. It took me 5000km to get to know my bike, and even now it still suprises me sometimes:) (in a good way)
The only thing that stopped me from getting a litre bike is the insurance price.

For some, I would suggest they ask themselves what type of riding they see themselves doing or wanting to do. What is the goal or dream?

Nothing turns my crank like an old school two stroke motocross. I bailed on a number of them and even as I'm writing this response, I'm grinning ear to ear.

I've got a moderately slow HD that shakes a lot and makes a bunch of noise and I can just throw a leg over it and go for a ride and it's the best feeling in the world.

Each ride is a joy but the only thing they have in common is they have two wheels. Otherwise, the size and style are completely different.

If hanging off the side of motorcycle and power wheelie out of the corneris floating your boat, get out to a track day an you can do it. Even on a 300.

I love the look and sound of a few Ducati's but, they just don't agree with me or my riding style. So, my question to the op is, what is motivating you to think or question the experience needed to move up to a litre bike?

A lot of well experienced SS riders would say a litre bike is more enjoyable on the street that a 600 and it's not because it has more power. It's just a different machine. Lot's of power but also good torque which means you don't have to get too deep in the tach to get things up to speed. Do you need to have experience on a 600 before moving to a litre? I'm not sure? Some of those very same experienced riders will tell you some of their favorite rides are smaller displacement machines and their faces will light up about a story they have when they had one.

I also see plenty of folks that own and ride a SS and just wonder if their name will appear in the fallen rider's section. Others, young and old, you can just tell they have the experience and the respect of the machine they own and ride. I don't think there is a time frame or seat time to gauge when someone is ready?

So focus on riding and I'm sure in time, you'll know when it's the right time to move up.

dont listen to that guy, he has no idea what hes talking about. its all about natural selection. start on a liter bike and if you survive the first season you know you were ready for it.

This is the correct answer.

Answers so far are awesome! lol. I'll add that when the insurance on a 600cc or 1000cc motorcycle is not something that makes you "like omg" you're ready.

If your more like marc marquez , about an hour should get you ready to set lap records on anything you ride all over the planet.

If your more like the rest of us, you could get around handling 10% of the potential of a litre bike and telling tales of daring do on the interweb.

when the insurance is less per year than the purchase price , your close.

I am new to motorcycle, and I am planning to get the ninja 300 for my first bike.
When I called insurance to ask for a quote, I was curious, so I also asked them how much it will be if I buy a R6.
Then the answer is $8400 a year, I was like omg...
Anyways, I know it is a difficult question, because every rider is different, but let's talk about the average...
How long does it take a new rider to have enough experiences and skill to handle a litre bike?
And when the time comes to me that I think it is time to upgrade, should I go straight to litre bike or a 600cc first?

Would you rather date an average 5 girl who works as a cashier at local Walmart or a hands down 10 hottie model? The first one is predictable and shy and wears jeans and a t-shirt. The second has got attitude and temper and dresses up in tight black leather. Both of them will do in the bedroom. But the second one will keep you up on your toes and show you a thing or two you've only heard from tales.

^^^ Haha too funny. Do you realize last week this guy was asking for somebody to deliver his 300 because he doesn't want to ride on the highway...

if youre asking if youre ready then youre not. simple as that. i started off on a 1000cc v twin but ive had sport quads most of my life and rode those pretty hard, that twin was about equal to a 600 cc ss maybe a smidge faster top end and had more torque. rode that for a year and a bit and then got on the gixxer thou. i tracked the old twin and was quite comfortable on it before upgrading and i track this one a lot. 600 is plenty of bike for every day stuff and track, in fact im looking for a 600 for track use because i know ill be faster on it than i am on the thou i run 1:18's at tmp on a 13 year old liter bike. the best part of the thou is the thrill when you roll in to the power, its hard to beat that feeling and not much stacks up to it. the only drawback to that much power is that if youre screwing around and arent skilled and quick enough to compensate for its behavior itll kill you pretty fast. ive had mine lift the front end in 5th and 6th gear over dips and crests on its own and if you arent able to sort that out in a hurry youll yard sale it pretty fast.

When will the OP be ready? Totally depends on the individual, how natural riding comes to them, how many km/hours they put on the bike, and how quickly they learn.

When will insurance not be stupid? After 30. lol

Then again if he does it now, maybe he can start a riding group with MightyMike and TheRealKleenex...LOL

My question would be: What's the hurry? As others have pointed out, it's a long road to proficiency and it's the RIDING that's important, not the bike. Or it should be. If you're insecure and surrounded by insecure people, buy whatever superbike and lament the consequences later.

Start as small as your insurance/weight allows and go from there. It isn't a straight line either--just look at the bikes in most GTAMer signatures. Nobody's focus is the same. Some race, some tour, others wrench. I went from a standard, to a SS, to a scooter and waiting for the right opportunity to get a dual-sport. Trackdays, offroad and that beat up Magna restored to full 80's glory are still on the list. Did I mention sidecars? You get the picture. Motorcycles and riding offer a lot, so don't let product marketing get in the way. Litrebikes have their place. Good luck on finding yours.

Everyone knows CC's is directly proportional to the size of your penis ;)
Guys stop trolling the OP with your silly answers.

OP its 124 hrs of bike time.

seriously the 300 would probably be enough bike for me to live with for a good few years

Whats the reason you want a litre bike? Ego? show off for your buddies? Pose at Timmies?
There isn't much more you can do on a litre bike daily that you can't on a 600 on the streets without getting it impounded.

You are the only person that can answer this question for yourself, None of us have seen you ride, none of us know your ego.....
It also depends on your age, If your getting $8400 quotes for a 600cc, either you don't know how to shop around or you are very young.
Unless you have rich parents that spoil you, I would say you aren't ready for a litre bike until you are 25.

So in the end, upgrade when you can afford to. You don't wan tto be the guy with zero money in the bank and living in your moms basement taking the bus in the winter....... But you got a litre bike that you can't come close to opening up.

Put on about 100,000 KM and get some track time in before you hop on a liter bike. Sure, demo ride them... but that isn't actually riding one. You'll be fine on the 300, move to a 600 SS when you are ready, not when you "feel" ready.

Back
Top Bottom