Bicycle lane rules? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycle lane rules?

inreb

Site Supporter
So peddling along the bicycle lane with 4 1L bottles of on sale mouth wash (this is important) in a recyclable plastic bag swinging from the right handlebar a young Oriental girl (this may or may not be important) darts into my path at a crosswalk. The 4L of liquid created a pendulum effect that made steering and control almost impossible. According to the city worker who blew a gasket, I was to stop at the crosswalk to let the girl cross if she so chose that option at that moment in time. Is this correct?

Flashing lights on? If they were, you were a vehicle and had to stop. If she just walked out without waiting for the lights, my vote is not your problem.

"oriental" lol.

Anyway, if she pressed the button, made sure vehicles had stopped, and then started crossing, you are in the wrong. If she pressed the button and immediately walked into the road, her fault. I notice a lot of people tend to think of the crosswalk as a magic barrier, where as soon as the button is pressed its safe to step into the street. I almost plowed through an entire family one day when they pressed the button and like 7 kids ran out into the street about 6 feet in front of me... luckily for them there was no one in the left lane so I could swerve to avoid them.

Those are called "courtesy crossings" for a reason, so while you are expected to stop when the lights are flashing, the onus is still on the pedestrian to make sure that it is safe to cross the road before stepping into traffic.

I don't believe the flashing lights are mandatory for using the crosswalk although it helps to get the attention of motorists to stop. Then again, weighing down your handlebars, while not illegal, does create a possible hazard for yourself. If you weren't carrying the bottles you would've been able to safely slow down or stop.

Those are called "courtesy crossings" for a reason, so while you are expected to stop when the lights are flashing, the onus is still on the pedestrian to make sure that it is safe to cross the road before stepping into traffic.

I agree with you on this especially ever since they came up with the crosswalk flashers, people have developed a false sense of security. One time I saw a bicyclist push the button and immediately peddled across to be narrowly missed by a car in the passing lane. Tsk tsk.

No lights at that crosswalk. Markings, yes. During school season there is a guard. Bleach blonde c/w permatan. For viewing pleasure King St W just west of Bond St. Hamilton.

Don't pedestrians always have the right of way?

That's been the mantra around my house. I don't know how it applies to the darting pedestrian?

I thought pedestrians were supposed to point at the crossing if they intended using it?

I see that in Toronto, only occasionally in the Hammer undoubtadly by a visiting Torontonian.

When in doubt, skid. Bonus points if you're running white Onza Porcupines.

They don't always have right of way, otherwise you couldn't get a "jaywalking" (obstructing traffic) ticket. I have known some one that ran out into traffic to catch a bus and got smoked by a car instead get an obstruct traffic ticket while laying in a hospital bed.

They don't always have right of way, otherwise you couldn't get a "jaywalking" (obstructing traffic) ticket. I have known some one that ran out into traffic to catch a bus and got smoked by a car instead get an obstruct traffic ticket while laying in a hospital bed.

Was that at a crosswalk?

MTO guidelines:
When entering a road from a private road or driveway, you must yield to vehicles on the road and pedestrians on the sidewalk.
You must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians crossing at specially marked pedestrian crossings.
doesn't say anything about pointing, timing, etc. Should the ped look first and wait...of course. Do they have to?...maybe not.

To tired to do a search but didn't they increase driver responsibility at crosswalks recently? Maybe it was something like not being able to start up until the person is out of the walk.

Back
Top Bottom