APE Hangers | GTAMotorcycle.com

APE Hangers

locorides

Hi you doin guys, im starting to ride a bike and i got a cruiser with i think more than the limit. Is it a big deal with cops when they see those type of handle? Any you guys have deal on those type of situations?

Last edited:
put it back to stock before you kill yourself....besides looking seriously stupid.
HAd a few of those in Pennsylvania this weekend, no helmet and hairy armpits on display. :rolleyes:

I know its not popular to ontario and bikers dont apriciate it in ontario. How chance to get to accident or be killed? Im planning to convert it to a bobber...

I have a friend with bars that are legal , but just, he gets hassled alot but its also possible because he lives in an area with a 1% style biker presence. Its his bars, his helmet, maybe outward appearance but he gets a lot of attention from KW police and OPP. He is not AFAIK affiliated with any clubs.

Ape hangers are for the benefit of the hearing impaired.

I have a friend with bars that are legal , but just, he gets hassled alot but its also possible because he lives in an area with a 1% style biker presence. Its his bars, his helmet, maybe outward appearance but he gets a lot of attention from KW police and OPP. He is not AFAIK affiliated with any clubs.

It must be a piss off to the legitimate dirtbags having all these posers around taking the cops attention away from them.

If not sure apes are for you just get your cat or a local stray. Hold the cat in air stretched out by the front legs. That gives good idea of ergos, style and saviour faire.

My father just got a bike with ape hangers and he was going to change them out....but he was very surprised at how good the handling is with them (they are legal) and they are more comfortable than you'd expect.

I find most of the opinions about ape hangers are from people who have never ridden a bike with ape hangers. ;)

I find most of the opinions about ape hangers are from people who have never ridden a bike with ape hangers. ;)
+1 Goes for a lot of things here. Never let a fact or experience get in the way of an opinion.

Although, you don't necessarily need to ride a bike to know they are silly, ape hangers were standard on 70's Kawi triples and yeah, comfy for riding around town but they will kill your lower back at highway speeds.

Measure your bike and handlebars for yourself to see if you are over the limit, if so you may choose to correct the situation. Best with a friend to help - sit on the bike and measure vertical distance from the surface of the seat you are sitting on to the topmost part of the handlebar.

As to comfort, it really depends how tall you are - looks like the mention of 'ape hangers' has some assuming you are reaching up in the air - you could be a big fellow on a small bike, and the 15" legal limit may result in an arm below level situation and be comfortable for you. I've heard some bikes are even at/over the 15: limit from the factory (Honda Goldwing?).

+1 Goes for a lot of things here. Never let a fact or experience get in the way of an opinion.

+1 and 2 It's like that Tony Stewart thread with all the opinions. How many opinionaters have actually run over a kid during a full course caution? I'm guessing only a few.

+1 and 2 It's like that Tony Stewart thread with all the opinions. How many opinionaters have actually run over a kid during a full course caution? I'm guessing only a few.
Yup. Like the old saying goes, opinions are like a**holes; everybody's got one and most of them stink.

Well the law isn't an opinion and likely the law is put there because of lack of functionality.
My point about looking silly is an opinion though, duly noted. ;)

You can have opinions but you can't have opinions. You just have to know when. A P.O.V. is always welcome. The whole M/C forum system is designed around that concept.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you are saying here
Essentially, it's ok to have an opinion but don't give it on a forum... It would be a fairly boring place to hangout if that were the case! Lol
It was already stated the bars are illegal and an opinion was asked whether the cops bother to enforce it, it's like asking if it's ok to ride 120 km/h on the 401.
My answer is the same in both cases... Fill your boots!

Don't you just love folks that want to look like an outlaw and then complain about the unwanted attention they get?

The issue with apes is just like exhaust. Folks took things too far.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you are saying here

I did that on purpose. It's a moving target. Some people give opinions all day long but if someone else offers an unfavourable opinion, all of a sudden opinions aren't such hot commodity after all. Or as my spiritual guru says, it's a gray area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom