RIP Robin Williams... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

RIP Robin Williams...

You have No clue on what you're talking about. My brother went through depression for years. Multiple suicide attempts. I know what I'm talking about. I deal with depression every day, but I know if I take the easy way out, it's my kids, siblings, girl friend that suffer, so I've learned to deal with it.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

So, your anecdote sheds an all-knowing diagnosis for anyone with this illness? I hope you can bottle that; you'll make millions. Every single person walking the earth is different than the next in some way and to some degree. Depression is so complex that I'd wager EVERYONE knows people that suffer from it, but at the same time may have no clue who those people are. Learning to "deal with it" is something I am genuinely glad you can do, but please do not be so obtuse as to think that this is an elective process for all. Depression is by every definition a type of cancer; it knows no boundaries and can kill at will. It's no joke, and to discard people as "cowards" is tragically mis-guided, and only serves to further drive any degree of awareness and treatment away from the afflicted.

You have No clue on what you're talking about. My brother went through depression for years. Multiple suicide attempts. I know what I'm talking about. I deal with depression every day, but I know if I take the easy way out, it's my kids, siblings, girl friend that suffer, so I've learned to deal with it.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about just as well as you. Not everyone has your point of view and your coping mechanisms. Stop saying others are wrong because you feel/think a certain way.

Anyways, the more important thing is that Robin Williams will be missed. R.I.P.

Having dealt with a family member commiting suicide, I can't feel sorry for him. It's a cowards way out.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Although it's sad that Robin chose to end his own life, I would have to agree with Slim Jim's perspective.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure why we're giving his death so much attention. All we're doing is glamorizing suicide and reinforcing the stereotype of the wounded, emotionally unstable artist. Yet again the message for those aspiring to work in the arts (or comedy) is this: to be great and to become an artistic (or comedic) "genius" one has to also become mentally ill, use drugs, and die by their own hands. Sorry to say this, but, Mr. Williams, you have now just become a cliché.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Mr. Williams was a coward, though. But, I do think that Mr. Williams must take responsibility for his actions--regardless of whether he was suffering from a "mental illness" or not. And, btw, last time I checked, suicide's not a mental illness. Mr. Williams may have been suffering from Major Depressive Disorder, but that does not excuse him for taking his own life. He made a conscious choice to end his life, and I think most would agree that that wasn't the best choice.

And, another thing: why do people even care about him? After all, it's not like anyone knew him. He's just a fantasy, who lived a fantasy life in a fantasy land called "Hollywood" (or where ever those people live).

Although it's sad that Robin chose to end his own life, I would have to agree with Slim Jim's perspective.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure why we're giving his death so much attention.

If you can't answer that simple question I've no choice but to disregard the rest of your post. Done and done. R.I.P. bicycle rider.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure why we're giving his death so much attention. All we're doing is glamorizing suicide and reinforcing the stereotype of the wounded, emotionally unstable artist. Yet again the message for those aspiring to work in the arts (or comedy) is this: to be great and to become an artistic (or comedic) "genius" one has to also become mentally ill, use drugs, and die by their own hands. Sorry to say this, but, Mr. Williams, you have now just become a cliché.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Mr. Williams was a coward, though. But, I do think that Mr. Williams must take responsibility for his actions--regardless of whether he was suffering from a "mental illness" or not. And, btw, last time I checked, suicide's not a mental illness. Mr. Williams may have been suffering from Major Depressive Disorder, but that does not excuse him for taking his own life. He made a conscious choice to end his life, and I think most would agree that that wasn't the best choice.

And, another thing: why do people even care about him? After all, it's not like anyone knew him. He's just a fantasy, who lived a fantasy life in a fantasy land called "Hollywood" (or where ever those people live).

Are you for real? Why don't go visit the psychiatric ward at a hospital or sit in with group sessions for people with major depression. See what they have to go through, what drugs to do them and also how they try to change their life to work through it for years, but very little works.

Very sad to see such a narrow, uninformed view. His death does not in any way bring glamour to suicide, or reinforce any stereotype. This sheds light and brings awareness to literally millions of people who suffer quietly. Conscious choice to end his life? Absolutely brutal way of thinking for sure. Most suicides are people that most definitely do not want to die; they can no longer handle what they are suffering. HUGE difference, but since you mention cliche's, you have become one.
As far as to why people may care about a celebrity, it is an unusual scenario to live under such a fishbowl kind of life, where any of the normal pressures of personality that regular people face are considerably amplified when a millions are watching. Remember when Gay celebs first starting coming out? Have an addiction? Have a bad night out and a few bad decisions? Divorce? Whack off in a movie theater? lol. All kidding aside, celebs have many benefits to their profession, but many strange pressures as well that would be near impossible to fully grasp by regular people. That's the whole premise of endorsements though; put a recognizable face on your product or position on something, and people who relate will follow. In this case specifically, the obvious consensus is that Robin Williams was known to be an approachable, sincere, and very pleasant man who had real, normal guy issues. In an effort to bring awareness of mental health issues, it makes total sense that people will relate to him; his persona was one that made people feel like he was one of them. The tragedy is that the relationship with him grows the largest after his death.

Last edited:
I still love his appearance on Who's line is it anyways? RIP Mr. Williams!
Thanks for this, didn't know he was on that show, youtube here I go

The assumption being made is someone with mental illness can rationalize the decisions they make.

It's not that simple.

I totally understand slim Jim and others perspective. And having that mindset can be helpful if the person is suffering from depression and helps them overcome the thoughts and feelings of taking their life because it would be considered a cowards way out.

The reality is when suffering from mental illness or depression etc, the feeling of self worth and hopelessness is overwhelming. That being a coward would be considered an improvement over they way they feel about themselves at a give time.

That mind set is also the driver that makes some exceptional people like Robin Williams a true stand out. They don't see themselves as we do. They see fault. They see what they could have done better. A crack in perfection can manifest itself to the point it become crippling. And even to the point of taking their own life.

If there is anything to take from Robin Williams death is, mental illness and depression can affect anyone.

Having dealt with a family member commiting suicide, I can't feel sorry for him. It's a cowards way out.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

What a stupid, stupid thing to say.

I bid you good day, and may god have mercy on your soul.

It's not that simple.

I wouldn't expect anyone to truely understand, and I'm not sure I'd want to ... to borrow someone's signature from another forum (its unattributed):

"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".

RIP Robin

Wow, you guys turn anything into a piss off match

About posting some of his funny videos instead of bringing everyone down with your amateur psycho analysis must of us don't know anything about or care to know.

Debby downers!

I am unconvinced on both sides of this argument.

One thing that does really bother me. Here in Toronto with our police and their heavy handed background checks if you go for help and they are involved at all it will follow you for life. There are already examples where mental health incidents are showing for life on background checks. They ask you if you could hurt yourself, it shows on your checks. Going for help could screw you for a long time, this IS wrong!

If this is news to you, go to the star and search background checks or police checks. BTW TPS says they are going to keep doing this...

I am unconvinced on both sides of this argument.

One thing that does really bother me. Here in Toronto with our police and their heavy handed background checks if you go for help and they are involved at all it will follow you for life. There are already examples where mental health incidents are showing for life on background checks. They ask you if you could hurt yourself, it shows on your checks. Going for help could screw you for a long time, this IS wrong!

If this is news to you, go to the star and search background checks or police checks. BTW TPS says they are going to keep doing this...

If someone realizes they need help there are places to go, or call, that wont involve police. If the police are involved I assume that something happened that required their presence. In that case the person should get the help. I have no issue with them keeping a record of it. It may come in handy for the next call for that person.

But them again, there are always the FTP people that hate everything they do.

If someone realizes they need help there are places to go, or call, that wont involve police. If the police are involved I assume that something happened that required their presence. In that case the person should get the help. I have no issue with them keeping a record of it. It may come in handy for the next call for that person.

But them again, there are always the FTP people that hate everything they do.

Have you read the series about the polices checks? Is so it looks like you are OK with it, shame... otherwise read the articles.

This has been a bad year for comedy we lost John Pinette earlier this year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom