KLR650 in the Ganaraska? | GTAMotorcycle.com

KLR650 in the Ganaraska?

locwan

Took my KLR 650 into the Ganaraska 4 times so far. Terrifying each and every one of those times. Never got out of 2nd gear. Not that it wasn't fun, but I think I'll try again once I get rid of those stock tires and see if i'll be buying a forest pass again for next year.

Who goes there regular with their 400+lbs dual sport and what tires do you use?

I don't go to Ganaraska but have taken my BMW Sertao into all sorts of trouble. So far, I've had Heideneau K60, TKC80's, and Michelin T63's on there and the set I like the most are the TKC's. Why?

The Heideneau's are really expensive and hard to find when they aren't in stock. They also arent' that great in the slick stuff nor are they confident inspiring on wet tarmac. They do last a LONG time though.

The Michelin T63 has a small knob pattern up front and a nice rectangular knob pattern in the rear. I'm not at all impressed by the front tire; it doesn't dig in with any bite and doesn't last very long (less than 7,000kms). The rear is a different story, that thing is the bomb on and off road in all terrain.

Overall, I like the TKC80's. It's a nice blend of knobby tires and long lasting compound that is great on and off road. My last front got me over 14,000kms.

I think, when I go to the next set, I'll return to a TKC80 front with the T63 rear. YMMV

I use kenda k775 tires for Ganny and they are awesome and street legal just not good on the street

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have a set of T63's ordered. It was a toss up between those and the TKC's but I finally settled on the t63's for now. Homme, I'm surprised to hear that the fronts are less durable than the backs, I would have thought it most certainly be the other way around. I might just look into trying your suggested combo if the fronts do indeed wear out before the back, and get a front tkc on there.

Scuba steve, what bike do you have those k775 on?

You need to go faster on the sand to get stability as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have a set of T63's ordered. It was a toss up between those and the TKC's but I finally settled on the t63's for now. Homme, I'm surprised to hear that the fronts are less durable than the backs, I would have thought it most certainly be the other way around. I might just look into trying your suggested combo if the fronts do indeed wear out before the back, and get a front tkc on there.
QUOTE]

I'm not sure what happened with the front. It may be because of the small knobs that it wore out very quick. Based on how quick it went, I figured the rear would be shot after 4 or 5k. But, I'm a little over 4K on the rear T63 and it doesn't look like I've hit half the tread yet. I have a new TKC80 for the rear waiting to go on. If I get the same mileage out of both, I may go back to a T63 rear.

Kenda Trackmasters on my DRZ400. Cheap good knobbies that are DOT. Work great in the Ganny but won't last too long on the street though.

I slapped on a pair if t63s and am not sure if its just my riding skills, but I found it didn't make a whole lot of difference in deep sand. Probably will make more difference in the dirt though.

I slapped on a pair if t63s and am not sure if its just my riding skills, but I found it didn't make a whole lot of difference in deep sand. Probably will make more difference in the dirt though.

Sand and mud, I think rider skill and experience plays a bigger part than tires. This summer, a buddy and I went down some really awful deep gravel and sand roads to Lake Placid. We had all kinds of trouble and I almost ran myself off the road and high/low sided too many time to count. Meanwhile, a rider on a BMW K1200 with street tires was riding through the same conditions without a care in the world. They gave us some tips at lunch and had a much better go of it later. All to say, technique and experience play a much bigger role in challenging terrain

Sand and mud, I think rider skill and experience plays a bigger part than tires. This summer, a buddy and I went down some really awful deep gravel and sand roads to Lake Placid. We had all kinds of trouble and I almost ran myself off the road and high/low sided too many time to count. Meanwhile, a rider on a BMW K1200 with street tires was riding through the same conditions without a care in the world. They gave us some tips at lunch and had a much better go of it later. All to say, technique and experience play a much bigger role in challenging terrain
What were some of the tips he offered?

Less or almost no front brake usage, stay on the gas as much as possible including through corners to keep the weight off the front which will prevent it from "plowing". Get slowed down before a corner with the bike upright and when you go into the corner you want to be accelerating.

I've got many years of ganny riding under my belt but always on a MX bike weighing 200lbs. Depending on where you start you can end up in deep beach sand or gravel with hard pack underneath. Where were you riding?

Less or almost no front brake usage, stay on the gas as much as possible including through corners to keep the weight off the front which will prevent it from "plowing". Get slowed down before a corner with the bike upright and when you go into the corner you want to be accelerating.

I've got many years of ganny riding under my belt but always on a MX bike weighing 200lbs. Depending on where you start you can end up in deep beach sand or gravel with hard pack underneath. Where were you riding?
Thanks for those tips, I'll give that a try next. I'm usually starting out from the wilcox Road at west Forest

Thanks for those tips, I'll give that a try next. I'm usually starting out from the wilcox Road at west Forest

I know the main fire road through there isn't too sandy but unless you want to venture into single track most of the connecting roads are loose sand. If you go in off Kirby road where the main forest centre is and instead of going down past the stream which would be a left off the road, hang a right. You'll go through a section of really tall pine trees and most of the trails beyond there are a mixture but plenty of hard pack dirt on that main trail.

Thanks for that. I have been sticking mostly to the main trail roads because I was afraid of being stuck in one of the single tracks on with the big klr. Have been looking everywhere for something that looks like it's got more dirt etc rather than rocks and loose sand.

Thanks for that. I have been sticking mostly to the main trail roads because I was afraid of being stuck in one of the single tracks on with the big klr. Have been looking everywhere for something that looks like it's got more dirt etc rather than rocks and loose sand.

You shouldn't have an issue on the klr with getting stuck and there's always a way to turn around and go back. The biggest issue is getting lost if you don't know the main roads.

Who goes there regular with their 400+lbs dual sport and what tires do you use?

TKC80 (not that i'm happy with them, but...) on a Tiger 800. Never really had a problem with terrain in the Ganny (except Boundary Hill, but that's a handful on even smaller bikes I hear). I just put the ego away, let the faster riders pass and take my sweet time in first gear. If you do get stuck, it's a great place to do it as it's frequently ridden, so you can call for help without trekking miles to the main road(s)

Thinking of heading there tomorrow actually, just think it may be a sloppy mess from last night's downpour.... Anyone wants to join? Hoping to leave early AM from North York.

Back
Top Bottom