2010 GSXR600 strange electrical bug with the fan | GTAMotorcycle.com

2010 GSXR600 strange electrical bug with the fan

croco

A bit of back story, a couple of years ago during a VERY hot day, I was riding my 2010 GSXR600 at very low speed for about 20km and the engine started to overheat because the fan did not turn on. Once the temp reached about 110 I shut it down, let it cool, and everything was fine. On restart the fan started as expected at 104. The bike was still under warranty, and I took it in to a mechanic. They tested it, and they could not replicate the problem as everything was working perfectly.

Today I did 600km on the bike, and on returning to Toronto I was stuck on the 400 and 401 for about 70km doing about 20-80km/h. I had absolutely no problems until I stopped to fill up right before my house. I stopped, turned off the engine, filled up, then I decided as a joke to bump start the bike*. The fan did not start at 104, and when the temp reached 110 I shut down the bike again. I immediately restarted the engine, this time with the starter, and the fan worked as expected again.

My question is wtf is going on? The temperature gauge is obviously working, the thermostat (if bikes even have such a thing) is also working, the fan is working. Does the ECU forget to start the fan once in a while? How

* For those wondering, while riding a BMW F650 I had to bump start it many, many times because the battery was flat. I just wanted to see how much easier it is to bump start a 600 SS. It turns out it's MUCH easier, or I've gotten better.

Edit: Found this thread http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225005 in the meantime. Since the temp displays properly, it may be the fuse or the thermo switch.

Last edited:
* For those wondering, while riding a BMW F650 I had to bump start it many, many times because the battery was flat. I just wanted to see how much easier it is to bump start a 600 SS. It turns out it's MUCH easier, or I've gotten better.
What gear did you bump start it in?

What gear did you bump start it in?

2nd gear. The F650 would lock up the back wheel even in 3rd if you did not jump on it with your full weight, but I found 2nd to work best. Just jump on it and take off. :D

Now back to my question please. :p

2nd gear. The F650 would lock up the back wheel even in 3rd if you did not jump on it with your full weight, but I found 2nd to work best. Just jump on it and take off. :D

Now back to my question please. :p
Sorry, no experience with your bike. If it was Yamaha I could ask the ECU to test the fan, themo sensor, relay, etc. but no idea how to troubleshoot your bike :(

In the service manual they say to put the switch in boiling water, its supposed to give a certain reading. Look in that manual

Back
Top Bottom