Honda vfr 800 intereceptor | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda vfr 800 intereceptor

danielzak1990

Im 24 and currently ride 600ss , but next year when i hit the magic number for insurance drop i want to get a bigger bike , im really interested in the honda vfr800 interceptor , probably 2009 or newer. I know a bit about the bike and i am doing reasearch on it daily, but im looking for opinions of owners or someone that rode one.
V4 vtec engine and that single swing arm pretty much had me sold on the bike.
I like the way the bike looks one of the best sport touring IMO.

Valve adjustments are a bugger. I don't own one but suffer the consequences of a friend owning one.

I think it's every 50,000 km, but the problem is the combination of having the VTEC system and having to do both the front bank and the rear bank. I think the camshafts have to come out in order to install locking tools for the valves having VTEC, then back in so that the clearance can be checked, then out to remove the locking tools and change shims if needed, then back together. If you want to check your work (and I always do), then there is one more camshaft remove/replace before removing the VTEC locking tools. And that's just to do one bank of two cylinders. Then you get to do the other bank.

On a normal non-VTEC engine you check the clearances without removing the camshafts, and the camshafts are only removed if necessary, and only once ...

Lots of those engines survive without the valve clearances ever being checked.

I have a bud that has over 300,000 kms on his 99. The odometer quit working 6 years ago and he has not slowed down riding at all.
The bike is solid.

I think it's every 50,000 km, but the problem is the combination of having the VTEC system and having to do both the front bank and the rear bank. I think the camshafts have to come out in order to install locking tools for the valves having VTEC, then back in so that the clearance can be checked, then out to remove the locking tools and change shims if needed, then back together. If you want to check your work (and I always do), then there is one more camshaft remove/replace before removing the VTEC locking tools. And that's just to do one bank of two cylinders. Then you get to do the other bank.

On a normal non-VTEC engine you check the clearances without removing the camshafts, and the camshafts are only removed if necessary, and only once ...

Lots of those engines survive without the valve clearances ever being checked.

Thats sounds like a lot of work just for a valve check. And like you said i bet half of these bikes never had it done and survived.
I know these are completely different engines but my brother did a valve check on his cbr600rr after 50000km and everything was in spec.
And thats something i can live with since i do around 7-10k km a season. And i would probably have a shop do that. I stick to doing my own oil changes, brake pads, and other simple stuff :)

How often does it need to be done ?

I would think on a engine like that the maintnance would be minimal.

He has something like 40k now, his mechanic said "leave it for now we've checked others at 60k and they were fine" But it's playing on his mind and I have to hear about it.

I ride an 09 myself and I'm a big fan, most comfortable bike I've ridden to date. I don't think you'll get a huge performance boost over a 600ss but if you want a sport bike thats better outfitted for touring than this is your bike.

I ride an 09 myself and I'm a big fan, most comfortable bike I've ridden to date. I don't think you'll get a huge performance boost over a 600ss but if you want a sport bike thats better outfitted for touring than this is your bike.

Thats what i am looking for , i did just over 200km today on my 2011gsxr600 and im exhausted lol

Whats the milage on your bike? Ever do a valve check yet? If so how much did it cost lol ?

Thats what i am looking for , i did just over 200km today on my 2011gsxr600 and im exhausted lol

Whats the milage on your bike? Ever do a valve check yet? If so how much did it cost lol ?
I'm at 31000 clicks, bought it last year at I think around 10000km and I only take it touring. I can do 500km in a day without breaking a sweat and ive had some 1000km days with a bit of soreness. Never checked the valves and i don't plan on it. I don't anticipate any problems though, every Honda ive had has been a tank.

My only complaint iis the stock suspension blows as it's designed for someone who weighs 150lbs....I'm planning to upgrade over the winter.

Not easy to find but gorgeous

IMG_20120329_185618.jpg

Back in the day, when they came out, I can remember thinking how beautiful and futuristic it looked.
By now, it's showing it's age a bit.
But this is coming from an RC51 owner.

Great thread, keep the comments coming as I may consider something like this myself next season. Did close to 400km on a 2009 R6 early in the season and my hips were sore for a day. The only drawback I hear about the VFR's is that they are heavy bikes.

Great thread, keep the comments coming as I may consider something like this myself next season. Did close to 400km on a 2009 R6 early in the season and my hips were sore for a day. The only drawback I hear about the VFR's is that they are heavy bikes.

Thats any touring bike tho, i think this may be one of the lighter ones,

Back in the day, when they came out, I can remember thinking how beautiful and futuristic it looked.
By now, it's showing it's age a bit.
But this is coming from an RC51 owner.

I still think they look amazing.
Like i said earlier i was sold when i saw the swing arm and vtec lol
But for now ill just wait and see what will happen to my insurance rates when i turn 25.
State-farm is the only company that took me with a ss, and they dont care about the class of the bike, only cc's
I already pay $3800 a year i dont even want to know what it will cost for 800cc

Some quotes I've had for a Honda VFR were cheaper than any 600ss. Call around before buying one.
I ended up buying a Kawi 500 though. Cheaper all around.

Some quotes I've had for a Honda VFR were cheaper than any 600ss.

That would not surprise me.
Kid moved from the SV650s to the FZ8 - big jump in horspepower, no change in premiums. He's 22 so have a look OP.
Kid moved to the FZ8 for the same reasons OP....couldn't take the riding position for touring hours and distances.

Guy I rode to PA with this weekend had the Honda Blackbird a slightly bigger version of the VFR800.
What a sweet sounding ride and he was comfortable tho it put a touring screen on it.

Blackbird.jpg

Like others have said, it should already be cheaper to insure a VFR than a 600 with anyone other than StateFarm. I mean, there are companies that will flat out refuse to insure any SS but they'll for sure insure a VFR.

Back
Top Bottom