Honda vfr 800 intereceptor | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda vfr 800 intereceptor

I'm closing in on 120k on my '03, and just finished a 9000km tour of the east coast. To date I've had to replace a clutch, cam chain lifters, stator and regulator/rectifier. Valves have never been looked at, but I might take a peek this winter.

I like to say the VFR is a "gentleman's sport bike". It doesn't have the piss and vinegar of a SS, but there's plenty enough power to get yourself into trouble. The additional weight means you'll be a bit slower, but you'll also be a lot more comfortable in cross winds and highway travelling. Unlike many of the other sport-touring options, you have no shortage of lean angle. Running on 87 octane is extremely nice for travelling, as is having a 20L tank. Fuel economy is a mixed bag; you can get 40mpg, or 25mpg obviously depending on how much discipline you have in your wrist. Unfortunately with the engine being what it is, economy tends to suffer at the 120 km/hr mark. That said, even on my most spirited of days I can squeeze 300km out of a tank. I typically average closer to 400.

Complaints? The dash is really dated. The fuel gauge is digital with only 8 divisions, which sucks. Hot days are made extra hot by the rads dumping heat out on to your legs at every stop. Linked brakes are a pain in the *** to flush. Chain drive is a chore to deal with on a tour. Everyone loves to sing the praise of a VFR, but nobody actually owns a VFR.

Watching this thread quietly.

Above post mentions all the reasons I went with the F800 over the vfr.

Handles great with more than enough lean angle (had my bike at the track a few times with knee down), way lighter, way better fuel economy, belt drive, standard heated grips, lots of grunt, and a more modern design than the dated but still good, vfr.

It's a shame more people don't give an F800 a shot.

Sent from my Z30

Handles great with more than enough lean angle (had my bike at the track a few times with knee down), way lighter, way better fuel economy, belt drive, standard heated grips, lots of grunt, and a more modern design than the dated but still good, vfr.

Sent from my Z30
Wow, you choose something else over a Honda.

*looks outside for a blue moon*

You missed it...;-)
next-supermoon-10-august-2014.jpg

Sent from my Z30

If only Honda made the F800. F800 has lots to like. Maybe BMW ownership is scary for some people. After 3 visits to Budds for GS parts and reading many copies of BMWON, no thanks to the new stuff.

It's because it's seen as a budget bike with luxury pricing.

The only thing I think it needs is USD forks to make it look a bit nicer. People don't love parallel twin engines, either. They tend to be used on cheaper bikes.

Fuel economy is not bad on a VFR. I average 5l/100km. I honestly don't see any major benefits to a BMW F800 over the VFR.
Maybe less maintenance without the chain but that really doesn't bother me personally.
VFR has better top end, F800 is better at low speeds and tight corners, and yes it burns a bit less fuel but also has less range due to a smaller tank and the engine is not as smooth. A used VFR can be had cheaper which was important to me. For the price difference you can really spruce up the suspension and get heated grips.

???????

2014 BMW F800GT $13,400cdn
2014 Honda VFR800F $14,499cdn

Yes people look at the F800 and see no USD forks, parallel twin engine, etc and think it should be much cheaper than the VFR, not just $1k which is next to nothing when you're looking at the $14k range. They're also afraid of maintenance costs since the common opinion is BMW = unreliable and expensive to fix (probably more based on their cars than their bikes) while Honda = reliable and cheap to fix.

I'm not saying it's justified but I've seen comments all over the place by people that think it looks like it's a "parts bin" bike (as in made from spare parts BMW had lying around).

Personally I like the F800 but it's not very popular.

It's probably nothing a set of usd forks wouldn't fix. I'm not sure about the rattles though.
I was on 4 demo rides that day. First ride cbr600rr, 2nd & 3rd ride cbr1000rr (I didn't leave 1st gear my 2nd time out - that was fun).
Fourth ride - the one I'd been looking forward to, the vfr800. Honestly, it felt like something you could pick up at Princess Auto.

I assume you were riding the new 2014 VFR? Maybe there was something wrong with that particular bike?

I've got an '02 and it's a rock. I accidentally got the front wheel up a little last week. Scared the **** out of me. My father has a friend that is riding an '03 with 170,000 km on it. No major repairs.

10264577_868838509809408_2728256591783121684_n.jpg

Last edited:
I assume you were riding the new 2014 VFR? Maybe there was something wrong with that particular bike?

Yes - the 2014. Quite sure it had roughly 7,000kms on it.
I've test ridden just about every Honda in the line up.
I was sadly surprised with the build quality, or lack thereof on the VFR.
It did not have the Honda quality feel to it that I've come to expect.
Just my humble opinion however.

Yes - the 2014. Quite sure it had roughly 7,000kms on it.
I've test ridden just about every Honda in the line up.
I was sadly surprised with the build quality, or lack thereof on the VFR.
It did not have the Honda quality feel to it that I've come to expect.
Just my humble opinion however.

Go ahead, Sunny already hates you

We can tell when he responds

Bud, do you have a life outside of GTAM?

Just taking a look at your post history for Today, it appears you have been on here from 11am to 5pm.

Seriously, do you have nothing better to do? Holeeeeee sheeeeeeet.

Bud, do you have a life outside of GTAM?

Just taking a look at your post history for Today, it appears you have been on here from 11am to 5pm.

Seriously, do you have nothing better to do? Holeeeeee sheeeeeeet.
Probably not. I don't really call this a life

a652f08f64e8bc289ec78fdbf22b56db.jpg

0c983ef961ee04d111b686e212692b9b.jpg

0eb3bda5826cd620314f91ce24fb3e25.jpg

07decbf171336ddc38c902d473f2c52f.jpg

Plus I just realized I have a punctured rear tire. More **** for me to do

I rode the new 800 at the Lindsay Cycle demo day earlier this year and really liked it -- Only things I could really knock it on was the high price, and the weight when stopped or coming to a stop (as I couldn't flat foot it, I had to be sure it was going to lean the way I wanted it to and I was ready). Also, the undertail on the older model is nicer than the pipe on the new.

Then again compared to others here, I did also choose a CBR650F over the CBR600RRA -- As nice as SS bikes are, if you push them you're in 172 territory and they're not the most comfortable after an hour of riding (and I like to go out for at least 3-4 hours at a time with no stops but gas).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom