friend got killed in an accident. Now what? | GTAMotorcycle.com

friend got killed in an accident. Now what?

dragonrider

I removed the content of the post. Thanks for those who offered the advice.

Last edited:
Talk to no one, do not update this thread, consult with a good PI lawyer or firm, the consultation is generally free. Proceed from there. I understand this is a hard time for all involved, but there are a lot of costs associated with caring for a deceased relative.

I'm not sure if a friend would be able to initiate any legal proceedings as that is usually a family matter. However the family could probably use the moral support.

Theoretically the system should look after the situation but much depends on the circumstances of the occurrence.

I'm not sure if a friend would be able to initiate any legal proceedings as that is usually a family matter. However the family could probably use the moral support.

Theoretically the system should look after the situation but much depends on the circumstances of the occurrence.

It would have to be initiated by someone who had a dog in the fight; what's referred to, in legal terms, as "standing." Someone could obtain permission to act on behalf of such a person, but i wouldn't know what legal hoops are required be jumped through in order to make that happen. Limited power of attorney?

It would have to be initiated by someone who had a dog in the fight; what's referred to, in legal terms, as "standing." Someone could obtain permission to act on behalf of such a person, but i wouldn't know what legal hoops are required be jumped through in order to make that happen. Limited power of attorney?

The next of kin would sign over power of attorney for the estate of the deceased which includes any and all civil proceedings wrt the estate and therefore the person, making the friend the executor. This is a whole lot easier if there's a standing will in place, obviously.

With that said, I've been an executor before and wouldn't ever do it again. You open yourself up to all kinds of liability and stress. Kudos to OP for trying to help and sorry for your loss. Good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom