Rattlesnake Point | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rattlesnake Point

Hey guys, I went up to rattlesnake for the first time last month and the roads leading north from the conservation area were all gravel. I was wondering if this is still the case. If so, are there any other routes that can minimize the amount of distance one has to do on gravel? I'm planning a trip with a pillion so riding north on appleby is not really an option

Go south on Derry Rd. to Guelph Line, hang a right.

The shortest route to Rattlesnake Point will be by heading north up Appleby Line from Derry. Its only a few hundred feet of gravel.

Unless they also tore the asphalt from the steep curvy section as well? It was still intact when I went there last week. As far as I know this is the only entrance to Rattlesnake Point so Im not sure how you think Guelph Line will get ya there...

If the steep curvy section of Appleby Line is also torn up now, then your fastest route will be Bell School Line to Sideroad 14, south on Appleby Line to Rattlesnake Point. Again, only a few hundred feet of gravel to contend with. Its hard-packed anyway.

so Im not sure how you think Guelph Line will get ya there...

Is that what he's after? I didn't get that. I thought he wanted unobstructed access to bear country.

I thought he was trying to get to Rattlesnake Point by means of least-gravely road... ? Rattlesnake Point is the title of the thread, one must assume he needs a route to get there.

One must also assume he's new to internet, thus one must advise him of a website called Google Maps. He'll have to use a search engine to find it. There's a Google for that too.

A simple apology would have been classier.

This thread is now about how NOT to get to Rattlesnake Point.

Welcome to GTAM.

I thought he was trying to get to Rattlesnake Point by means of least-gravely road... ? Rattlesnake Point is the title of the thread, one must assume he needs a route to get there.

One must also assume he's new to internet, thus one must advise him of a website called Google Maps. He'll have to use a search engine to find it. There's a Google for that too.

I was simply asking for help, no need to be rude.
If you read my original post you'll see that I've been there before and the only reason I don't want to take the appleleby route is because I'll be going up with a pillion and since the switchback is a bit technical, and Im a relatively new rider, don't want to risk it. My issue is that the road leading north from rattlesnake point has been covered in gravel, as is steeles avenue and a bunch of other roads leading to Milton and the 401. My plan was to head up or down whichever road got me to the conservation area via the smoothest route.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion about Bell Line. That actually seems the most straight forward route.

Last edited:
What's on that road is called "chipseal", it isn't really gravel. It's loose immediately after they apply it but it quickly (over a few weeks) beds down and is then as grippy as sandpaper. Appleby was a mess right after they did it, but it is well on the way. You can ride on it, just stay in the car tire tracks and don't try any knee-dragging shenanigans around the corner up the hill next to Kelso ski area. Watch out at intersections, those are often the last areas for the loose stuff to either scatter or bed down.

Steeles is no help; they did that road also.

I don't think they chipsealed 14th SR, but that road tends to have sand in some spots at the best of times.

The pavement up Appleby around the hairpin has not been touched.

You might as well come straight down Appleby from 5th SR, it isn't that bad.

I've been trying to help out by driving my car with the wheels between the usual tire tracks, on the loose stuff, to help it either bed down or scatter ...

Perfect, thanks!! Yeah, when I went there, they'd just spread the surface and it felt quiet slippery. If it's bedded it shouldn't be a problem. Will try it out tomorrow

Went up in that direction today. No 14 Sideroad seems like the best way there if you want/wanted to avoid the Appleby hill climb. You're going to hit the gravel no matter which way you go.
It is somewhat compacted, but too slippery for my liking. I spent most of my travel from the top of the hill to Steeles and then across Steeles, in 1st at about 40. Would not do again without more appropriate tires.

Back
Top Bottom