Illegal Drivers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Illegal Drivers

suzuki2000

So, you forget your birthday its the governments fault? This is pathetic...

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...housands-of-ontario-drivers-on-road-illegally

Tens of thousands of Ontario drivers could be on the road illegally after the province failed to remind them to renew their driver’s licence and plates.
What’s being called a “unique” technical glitch prevented the provincial government from sending nearly 100,000 licence and plate renewal reminders to drivers who had birthdays in July.

About half of those drivers remembered to get their licence or plates renewed anyway. But those who didn’t, an estimated 50,000 drivers, were sent a letter dated July 30, telling them to get their paperwork in order as soon as possible.

Anne-Marie Flanagan, a spokeswoman for ServiceOntario, said the problem affected licence renewal notices that were supposed to be mailed out the week of April 23, 2014, to people with birthdays between roughly July 13 and 22.

She said small technical glitches affect handfuls of customers once in a while. “But I’m not aware of another situation that’s been similar to this one,” she said.
“I can confirm that it’s not a security breach, though,” she said.

ServiceOntario is the branch of the provincial government that deals with a range of licence-related services.

In Ontario, drivers need to renew their driver’s licences every five years and their licence plates every one or two years. Both expire on a driver’s birthday. The cost for a new licence is $80; a new plate sticker is $90 for one year. Driving with an expired driver’s licence or licence plates is illegal and can lead to tickets and fines.

The letter sent to drivers, signed by Jacques L’Abbé, assistant deputy minister of ServiceOntario’s central services division, said that “a technical issue with the production and distribution of renewal notice reminders for driver’s licences and vehicle licence plate stickers” was to blame for the absence of renewal notices.

The letter asked drivers to bring it to a ministry desk as soon as possible to get the “new or temporary documents required by law to operate a vehicle in Ontario.”

ServiceOntario usually mails drivers notices reminding them to renew their licences and plates a month or so before they expire. Flanagan said renewal notices are a “courtesy” and that the province is “not required” to send them out.

Flanagan couldn’t say how unusual it is to have 50,000 drivers with expired documentation because ServiceOntario doesn’t regularly check the total number of people who haven’t renewed. “That’s something we have to do on purpose,” she said.

She said ServiceOntario realized there had been an error when it started getting calls from some of the drivers affected by the technical glitch who hadn’t received renewal notices.
She said the problem, which was “quite technical and very detailed,” is fixed and that ServiceOntario had “put some new checks and balances” into the system to avoid future problems.

“We’ve put a system in place whereby if anything were to go wrong we would know right away and be able to correct it,” she said.

Flanagan said that “like with other government documents — for example passports — keeping documents and address information up-to-date is ultimately the responsibility of the individual.”

Last edited:
Things happen but I'd never want to rely on the government to remind me of things.

so yea maybe a new driver or immigrant could be excused for forgetting. But since i became an adult this why i dread birthdays any adult who has been driving for the last 2 years knows this is coming up.

They just gotta go to the local supermarket, get a box of Cracker Jack cereal and they'll be legal in no time :cool:

Is it a legal requirement for them to do so?
If it is then they failed to deliver a service that the tax payers paid for.
I doubt the Government does it because they are being "nice".

Stickers area big scam.
We already have to pay a license renewal fee at which time everyone should be required to take a refresher in person computer test and vision test.
That's a step in the right direction for safer roads.

Is it a legal requirement for them to do so?
If it is then they failed to deliver a service that the tax payers paid for.
I doubt the Government does it because they are being "nice".

read the piece, it's in there

Odd, my drivers lisc does not expire on my birthday. Expires over a month after :confused:

Check the last 6 digits of your drivers license number.... It's usually your birth date in YY/MM/DD format

And your DOB is also under your pic
Last 6 are not my birthday but the card does show my birthday elsewhere.

Things happen but I'd never want to rely on the government to remind me of things.

It's the Canadian way.
A lot of people rely on the "nanny state" for just about everything.
In northern Ontario a big part of the population is either on pogy, pension or welfare.
In the Atlantic provinces the same thing.
Alberta oil patch royalties support a lot of Canadians on the dole.
The few Canadians that do work are taxed to death.

Last edited:
License does not necessarily expire on your bday. It expires 5 years after you renewed.

I just had to renew mine and the expire date was my bday.
License does not necessarily expire on your bday. It expires 5 years after you renewed.

I can see the popo using this as an advantage & randomly stopping people

As a side note, I returned a plate earlier this year that had about 16 months left on it before the sticker expired. The girl at the desk told me that they can not issue a refund in person. They can only offer to mail you a cheque, but you have to pay $5 to get that cheque issued and mailed to you. How the hell do they charge you to give you back your money? On top of that, they don't count the last month that the sticker expires, and they don't count the current month that you're returning the plate/sticker. So if you pay the $90 for a one year sticker, and return it right away, they only refund you a 10 month portion of what you paid rather than the full amount. F***ING THIEVES!

I will be honest here, if it was a plate sticker I would notice before it expired. If it was my license or health card I might not notice until well after it expired, I simply just don't look at them vary often.

Not saying what is right or wrong, but I can see missing some things.

What i find hilarious is that somehow, magically, because a certain day has ended, you are now a criminal, illegally operating a motor vehicle...

Back
Top Bottom