New driver with question about the M1 exit test | GTAMotorcycle.com

New driver with question about the M1 exit test

kbbroiler

Hey guys. I recently got my M1. The guy at the ministry told me I could actually go book the motorcycle course now. If I pass, then I would have to wait to bring the M2 license to the ministry of transportation. I thought I'd have to wait 60 days before I went to do the M1 exit test. Could some confirm if the guy at the ministry is right. Thanks

K.B

He's right, you can do the M1 exit course right now. You just can't switch your license over until it's been 2 months or whatever.

Thanks for the quick reply. Thanks for the info. I thought you had to wait 60 days and now that I know I'm going to book it.

The M1 is good for 60 days and the M2 is good for up to 5 years. My suggestion is -take the course to get your M2 then, at the earliest possible time- take the M exit.

The M1 is good for 90 days. But you have to have it at least 60 before you can get your M2.

There is a waiting period of 60 days (from the time you earned your M1) before they can upgrade your license to an M2. This means if you took your course this weekend and passed it, you will still have to wait before you get the upgrade. You can take the course after 60 days (i.e. you're short on cash now), and if you pass it, you get the M2 upgrade immediately, just keep in mind that your M1 will expire in 90 days.

The M1 is good for 60 days and the M2 is good for up to 5 years. My suggestion is -take the course to get your M2 then, at the earliest possible time- take the M exit.

Correction: M1 is good for 90 days. You can upgrade to M2 after 60, but the licence won't expire until 90.

Hey K.B.
Yup, you can book and take a motorcycle safety training course at any time after writing your M1 - you just need a valid M1. However, we have graduated licensing in Ontario - meaning you have to earn your licence in stages. The M1 requires that you ride under M1 restrictions for 60 days before you can upgrade to the M2. (The M1 is a 90 day permit). If you take the motorcycle training course before the 60 days, you just wait to bring in your upgrading paperwork until you are past your 60 day wait period. Once you have your M2, 3 of the 4 restrictions are lifted. (The M2 is valid for 5 years).

Back
Top Bottom