Finally some great weather ....Get out there!!!!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finally some great weather ....Get out there!!!!!

MacDoc

Site Supporter

Crisp and clear on the ride up to the Forks today.....no more mugly.
And even better a few days of it coming up.

I'm still deciding on playing hooky tho after 4 weeks in Alaska etc kinda pushing it.

:rolleyes:

Who is going where?

This is a repost.....with that weather report the soaring should be pretty good. You will be thrilled. You will get to fly the sailplane as well

••••

No matter which direction you go you'll have an issue unless you either ride late on Friday or early Sat.
If you feel like a different sort of adventure - ride up to York Soaring early morning on Sat ( or camp Friday night there ) and take a demo flight and hang around for a while and chat - ideal demo time is around noon. They'll guide you and you might, like me, get hooked and get your licence.
It's a thrill and not all that expensive. Great people, much fun. Best way you could EVER spend two weeks vacation time.

http://www.yorksoaring.com/try-soaring

I'd train at York and then fly at SOSA - free wireless at York so you can stay in touch.
http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/

which is much nearer to you ( my home club when I was active ). The National Championships are on this weekend tho not looking great today - would be worth having a look.
This was yesterday
Screenshot2011-07-01atJul1201132740PM.jpg

Then if you don't stick there (the clubs have camping ) head up to Chatsworth and check out the MotoCross park there.

http://www.motoparkracing.com/

Again nice people - and free wireless
Always fun to watch and there might be a race on.

That's one day and then you could mosey up to Tobermory and take a local cruise - there is also lots of camping spots in the peninsula as well.
You will of course be stuck with home bound traffic.

This is a Tobermory route worked out by another
http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Kitchener-to-Tobermory-and-back

Not a bad second day route for you. At least you stay to the west of the main traffic routes and you can slide into Hamilton from there.

I'm riding most weekends so happy to ride with you tho no camping for these old bones. -
Could do the first day - show you the ropes on the sailplanes etc - you could get a jump and ride up to York on Friday and camp - great bunch there.

and then do the Tobermory loop the next day.
If you want some company happy to meet up where ever either day and do that loop which is a nice distance. I'm in Mississauga so not bad vectors.

Today Aug 6th
This was a first for York Soaring. Some disabled adventurers showed up. Bit of head scratching and a solution was found.

A little ingenuity

lined up for a thrill of a lifetime....

Meanwhile the wind gods were annoyed a me for being earthbound and whacked me on the head with a size large umbrella.
Missed all the expensive stuff. ;)

Decent day for soaring...lots of private planes out.

This hi-tech beauty will be up the rest of the day.

Small zoom did okay on this tow

I did 600 Kms in the Kawartha Highlands and environs yesterday. It was awesome, carnival day in Halliburton and found some really nice stretches of highway 118 not too far from me at the top end of Mazinaw lake near Dwight, then on the way home noticed a lot of forest trails I need to go back and explore. I tested my new phone GPS, Osmand, and it was excellent. Tracked my trip with the recording feature and the offline maps work a treat. I may reconsider my potential gps purchase.

Also discovered that I can't stand my GoPro Hero 2, the ****ing menu choices need me to consult a bloody chart each time. Thinking of getting a Virb.

York Soaring fly-on-the-cheap via saunter method. Park unique looking motorcycle in plain view of greeting area. Saunter over to runway, whilst being cognizant of clear and present dangers, into the waiting arms of unofficial hail fellow well met greeters. Pursuant to chit chat all things thermal and sundry wait for offer of 1/2 price demo flight totally bypassing front office graft. Patience is your best ally.

Just came back from a 2 week trip down south. Did 6 days in Harrisonburg VA with friends at a time share, and the rest of the time spent tooling about further south in Tennessee and North Carolina. Did the Dragon, not really my thing, but hey I can say I did it at least. The Blueridge was definitely my thing. Simply stunning landscape, amazing roads with virtually no traffic when I was there (Monday morning). Started in Cherokee and just kept working my way north. Amazing weather for the whole 2 weeks, had 5 mins of rain a few days ago in PA but that was it. Been great weather especially compared to my trip out east last year, which was 2 weeks of endless rain.

don't rub it in ! :(

I'm heading down tomorrow - will get to Coudersport by mid - morning not pushing it then just stay on 144 till it runs out and keep going south till I'm tired. Spend a day riding some new roads and then head back Monday morning...try and have lunch at Letchwork as a treat.

ScreenShot2013-09-02atSep22013105625PM_zps5fe0d2e9.jpg

ScreenShot2013-09-02atSep22013105529PM_zps0afa2273.jpg

See where the wind blows me....

No pushing it in the twists this ride....way too little saddletime this year :(

Last edited:
Two words: Intervention Canada.

I'm heading down tomorrow - will get to Coudersport by mid - morning not pushing it then just stay on 144 till it runs out and keep going south till I'm tired. Spend a day riding some new roads and then head back Monday morning...try and have lunch at Letchwork as a treat.
I will keep an eye out for you. We will be in that general area around 11 am. Two of our guys already in Olean, six of us meeting 6 am at The Grill on The Queensway, if you care to joins us. Saturday night we are staying at Hampton Inn in Williamsport ( new one on East Third Street). Ride safe!

Thanks - heading out early tomorrow AM with ADV to Coudersport then down 144 - see where the wind blows after that.
Warmish forecast for the area. 27 and sunny.

Stunning day for riding. Beat tho - only settled in at 9 pm after leaving at 6.30 am

Tip
don't take 144 out of Coudersport

Go east on to 6 and cut west on Cherry Creek something - super smooth fun road and then join 144 after the construction. The last section before Renovo is superb.

144 South of Renovo is just a total treat.... best done uphill going out of Renovo tho both directions are a hoot.

Last edited:
Two days of totally lovely weather tho a tad hot in the afternoon.
Roads were superb, traffic light - much fun was had.

Border was horrid - Nexus saved me an hour.!!!!
QEW busy but moved with some slow spots around Burlington.

Big moon.....nice night but pretty tired.

Excellent meal as usual at Letchworth and have a new way down to Coudersport via Petrolia. Quite nice.

Back
Top Bottom