Brand new to this forum and riding in general. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brand new to this forum and riding in general.

dp9155

Hi guys,

Ever since I was a little kid, I've wanted to buy a motorcycle and now that I'm finally done highschool and have a full time job I'd like to start looking into buying one. I've read up on a few bikes and watched some videos and I'm leaning towards the Ninja 250 in lime green. I don't have my M1 or anything like that yet, and I'm not planning on getting it until I know that I'll be able to afford the bike and insurance together. As I've stated, I'm brand new to riding and would like to receive all the help I can get regarding this topic. Here's a few questions I've got:

1. My biggest concern: are motorcycles only as dangerous as the person riding it?
2. How much can I expect to pay for a use 2008+ Ninja 250?
3. How many KMs should I be looking for when buying used?
4. How much can I expect to pay for insurance for the year? I'm 19 years old, living in Ontario, held my G2 for just over one year now (planning on getting full G soon)
5. I'm about 5'6"-5'7" and weigh about 175lbs, is the Ninja going to be a good fit for me?

Thanks for all the help! I will update and ask more questions as neccesary. :)

Motorcycling is a dangerous sport, and yes, operator skill and experience goes a long way to reducing the risk, but all it takes is an in attentive driver or animal like a deer or a turkey to do something unexpected and ruin your day.

That being said, it's the most fun I've ever had and has gained me new friends and new vistas every time I let out the clutch.

Check kijiji for pricing for the bike by expanding your search area to include much of Canada and perhaps even the US.

I wouldn't worry about high mileage provided the owner has decent maintenance records and the bike is inspected and found to be in good shape. Obviously a high mileage bike is going to cost you less, so if it said new battery, new chain and sprockets etc I'd feel better about the sale.

Don't forget to factor gear into your budget. Helmet jacket gloves boots and rain gear at minimum.

Your height and weight shouldn't be a problem, and it can be lowered a touch if necessary, but I very much doubt that is needed.

Motorcycling is a dangerous sport, and yes, operator skill and experience goes a long way to reducing the risk, but all it takes is an in attentive driver or animal like a deer or a turkey to do something unexpected and ruin your day.

That being said, it's the most fun I've ever had and has gained me new friends and new vistas every time I let out the clutch.

Check kijiji for pricing for the bike by expanding your search area to include much of Canada and perhaps even the US.

I wouldn't worry about high mileage provided the owner has decent maintenance records and the bike is inspected and found to be in good shape. Obviously a high mileage bike is going to cost you less, so if it said new battery, new chain and sprockets etc I'd feel better about the sale.

Don't forget to factor gear into your budget. Helmet jacket gloves boots and rain gear at minimum.

Your height and weight shouldn't be a problem, and it can be lowered a touch if necessary, but I very much doubt that is needed.
Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it!
Hello and welcome to the forum

Your priority number 1 should be to do a motorcycle safety course and invest in proper gear

The course will save you tons of money on insurance, and properly teach you the basic skills to handle a motorcycle

Contact Mike - he should have some spots available at a discounted rate at Humber College - proceeds go to RFS

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?181039-Discounted-Training-Proceeds-to-RFS
Thank you! Yes, that is my first priority but I just forgot to mention that in the first post as I was leaving for work last night. My uncle and aunt both ride motorcycles (not sure which ones though) and they have both taken the safety course. I'll talk to them sometime soon and see where they did theirs.

I'll tell you right now 19 g2 your going to get butt raped for insurance I was 19 with full gm1 and paid 3000 for my first year on a ninja. After the first year it dropped to like 1400. Don't let that scare you just work your ass off get a bike and have the time of your life
Oh and get gear! Super important saved my ass with left hand Turner they are dangerous. Stupid cars. Don't worry about rain gear :p riding in the rain is never fun lol. You should be able to get a ninja for around 3k for a 2008 and up in decent shape. At the end of the season is best time to buy because people sell cheap, due to not wanting to store bike etc.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'll tell you right now 19 g2 your going to get butt raped for insurance I was 19 with full gm1 and paid 3000 for my first year on a ninja. After the first year it dropped to like 1400. Don't let that scare you just work your *** off get a bike and have the time of your life
Oh and get gear! Super important saved my *** with left hand Turner they are dangerous. Stupid cars. Don't worry about rain gear :p riding in the rain is never fun lol. You should be able to get a ninja for around 3k for a 2008 and up in decent shape. At the end of the season is best time to buy because people sell cheap, due to not wanting to store bike etc.
Yeah, I figured I was going to get butt raped with insurance which is no fun, haha. Either way I'll be making about 2 grand a month so unless the cost is RIDICULOUS, I shouldn't have a problem affording the insurance. I'm currently looking at a 2008 Ninja 250 for $2900, but it has 27,000 km on it. Too many?

And thanks for the advice!

Don't worry about rain gear. Bahahaha!

Say that after you ride from St. John's to Badger NFLD and your rain pants let go in the crotch.

Come up with a couple other models of bike like dual sports and cruisers so when you get the insurance quote you can compare what other models cost. You should see a huge difference between a sport bike and say something like a Honda crf250l.

Don't worry about rain gear. Bahahaha!

Say that after you ride from St. John's to Badger NFLD and your rain pants let go in the crotch.

Come up with a couple other models of bike like dual sports and cruisers so when you get the insurance quote you can compare what other models cost. You should see a huge difference between a sport bike and say something like a Honda crf250l.
Hahaha, oh man that would be brutal. :lmao:

And could you recommend a list for beginners? I'm only leaning towards the Ninja 250 because it looks nice and I've heard it's one of the best (if not THE best) bike to start on.

It really is a beautiful little machine apart from being carburetor and not fuel injected.

I'm not really up on cruisers, but I know of the Honda Rebel 250 and I think Yamaha has something in that range as well.

Have a look at a 250 super Moto (sm) or even a 400cc if the insurance quote is decent.

I'd always recommend buying used for the first year or two until you grow into it, as you will find many 'dropped my bike in the driveway' threads here, so a used bike with some scratches doesn't put me off at all.

Honda CRF230L is a great little bike that may struggle on the highway, but is brilliant around town and simply owns the 80kph side roads, and is super easy to tart up with luggage like a top box, from Givi to Rubbermaid action packers to tool boxes or even a milk crate.

Drop it, pick it up and laugh it off.

If you go older, like Honda CB350 etc you will need to be on your toes with maintenance, which may or may not work depending on access to tools and your comfort level. Preride checks become very important.

Get that insurance quote from three sources or more before you decide, as I don't know what your budget is.

It really is a beautiful little machine apart from being carburetor and not fuel injected.

I'm not really up on cruisers, but I know of the Honda Rebel 250 and I think Yamaha has something in that range as well.

Have a look at a 250 super Moto (sm) or even a 400cc if the insurance quote is decent.

I'd always recommend buying used for the first year or two until you grow into it, as you will find many 'dropped my bike in the driveway' threads here, so a used bike with some scratches doesn't put me off at all.

Honda CRF230L is a great little bike that may struggle on the highway, but is brilliant around town and simply owns the 80kph side roads, and is super easy to tart up with luggage like a top box, from Givi to Rubbermaid action packers to tool boxes or even a milk crate.

Drop it, pick it up and laugh it off.

If you go older, like Honda CB350 etc you will need to be on your toes with maintenance, which may or may not work depending on access to tools and your comfort level. Preride checks become very important.

Get that insurance quote from three sources or more before you decide, as I don't know what your budget is.
Are Ninja 300's fuel injected and good for beginners? Or will that kind of bike toss me and scare me?

Edit: Guess it doesn't really matter, because they're brand new and I can't find any used ones in my area. Guess I'll stick with the 250 as my top choice!

Last edited:
welcome and good luck.

Like almost everyone has said, take a course. look for something mechanically sound old or newer. less plastic and possibly boring(?) insurance might not be as painful.

I get you are eager but consider you say you will be making $2K per month or $24K per year. If you are looking to spend ~ $3k on a bike, expect $3k for insurance (maybe more, I taught a 20yr old girl this past weekend that was quoted $2800 on a CBR125, don't know if this was pre/post course).

...Postal Code plays a big factor in rates you will get.
... Your results may vary :)

...Add some cash for gear, maintenance and other odds and ends $1K would be low.. Total you will be in for at least $7k or almost 1/3 of your income pre-tax. Not trying to be discouraging but recognize you will pay your dues.

Cost of entry is not small, rewards are great!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. As said perhaps a supermoto style bike might not be a bad thing to consider either. They're a ton of fun and possibly even easier on insurance. Nothing wrong with the 250s though. Look around at models and come up with 1 or 2 more that maybe interest you and call the insurance companies and see.

This is quite possibly the best advice I can give you. Amazing course to take. If you come out of it not learning something then you shouldn't be riding.
http://www.ridertraining.ca/

As for gear... don't be afraid to spend money on quality stuff but that said don't impulse buy either. Do some research or ask friends/family/forum if anyone has experience with whatever it is. The difference between good gear and cheap gear can be your life.

In the end find something you'll enjoy, go take a course and have fun while doing it. :thumbup:

Are Ninja 300's fuel injected and good for beginners? Or will that kind of bike toss me and scare me?

Edit: Guess it doesn't really matter, because they're brand new and I can't find any used ones in my area. Guess I'll stick with the 250 as my top choice!

300 is fuel injected and nah they aren't scary at all, very similar to 250 with more go. 300s are Great bikes other than all the recalls but fun to ride

Hahaha, oh man that would be brutal. :lmao:

And could you recommend a list for beginners? I'm only leaning towards the Ninja 250 because it looks nice and I've heard it's one of the best (if not THE best) bike to start on.

You will get lots of advice on this forum from both sides of the spectrum when it comes to 1) Costs vs. is it worth it 2) size of bike you should start on.

With regard to #2
I started on a 600cc super sports (SS) and did just fine.
Then again, I finished highschool many moons ago and from a cost perspective, the insurance is a lot lower and it won't break the bank.

The Kawi Ninja 250 and Honda CBR 250 are great little bikes to start on. Your insurance rates will drop with experience, and your skill level will increase. They are light and a ton of fun on the turns, but not so much on the highway. In essence, if you are buying the bike for flash and outright speed/pulling power (nothing wrong with that), you may come away disappointed and wanting something more.. If you just want to get out there and ride, the 250 is a great bike. I would personally prefer the CBR250 since its fuel injected - just easier to hop on and go and never have to worry about having the carbs done.

Note - since the Ninja 300 and CBR300 are on the market, the asking prices of the 250's should be more flexible - keep in mind the 250's are highly desirable from a resale standpoint. The kijiji ads are ludicrously high, so watch the ads over time. Maintenance is history is more important than kms.

Before you get ahead of yourself - call around for insurance quotes. Unfortunately that's the deal breaker for 95% of the potential-riders out there.
$3k a year buys you a month long backpacking-adventure some place nice (at a minimum) which you can only really do before responsibilities set in (ughhh).

Last edited:
welcome and good luck.

Like almost everyone has said, take a course. look for something mechanically sound old or newer. less plastic and possibly boring(?) insurance might not be as painful.

I get you are eager but consider you say you will be making $2K per month or $24K per year. If you are looking to spend ~ $3k on a bike, expect $3k for insurance (maybe more, I taught a 20yr old girl this past weekend that was quoted $2800 on a CBR125, don't know if this was pre/post course).

...Postal Code plays a big factor in rates you will get.
... Your results may vary :)

...Add some cash for gear, maintenance and other odds and ends $1K would be low.. Total you will be in for at least $7k or almost 1/3 of your income pre-tax. Not trying to be discouraging but recognize you will pay your dues.

Cost of entry is not small, rewards are great!
I've been looking into courses and I found one that's close to me in Guelph!

And I'm eager, but I'm also willing to wait until I have enough money saved to be financially stable for other things as well. I'm still living with my parents and I'll probably stay here for at least a couple more years until I finish my schooling (which has already been paid for in full due to my parents having started putting money away as soon as they got married).

As of right now, I'm currently residing in the Kitchener/Waterloo area so if anyone could help me out with a general rate or members my age who live in this area that would generally know what they are talking about, that'd be great.

Thanks for the tips! I'm still living with my parents so it's not like I have a ton of bills to worry about, but I would definitely have to pay for own gas/insurance. I'm sure they would be willing to help me out a little bit with the gear, though!

Welcome to the forum and good luck.
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. As said perhaps a supermoto style bike might not be a bad thing to consider either. They're a ton of fun and possibly even easier on insurance. Nothing wrong with the 250s though. Look around at models and come up with 1 or 2 more that maybe interest you and call the insurance companies and see.

This is quite possibly the best advice I can give you. Amazing course to take. If you come out of it not learning something then you shouldn't be riding.
[url]http://www.ridertraining.ca/ [/URL]

As for gear... don't be afraid to spend money on quality stuff but that said don't impulse buy either. Do some research or ask friends/family/forum if anyone has experience with whatever it is. The difference between good gear and cheap gear can be your life.

In the end find something you'll enjoy, go take a course and have fun while doing it. :thumbup:
Thanks! As I've stated before, both my uncle and aunt ride cruiser style bikes and they have taken the safety course so I'll be sure to ask them anything I need to know next time I'm over at their place.
300 is fuel injected and nah they aren't scary at all, very similar to 250 with more go. 300s are Great bikes other than all the recalls but fun to ride

Alright, cool! Thank you!
You will get lots of advice on this forum from both sides of the spectrum when it comes to 1) Costs vs. is it worth it 2) size of bike you should start on.

With regard to #2
I started on a 600cc super sports (SS) and did just fine.
Then again, I finished highschool many moons ago and from a cost perspective, the insurance is a lot lower and it won't break the bank.

The Kawi Ninja 250 and Honda CBR 250 are great little bikes to start on. Your insurance rates will drop with experience, and your skill level will increase. They are light and a ton of fun on the turns, but not so much on the highway. In essence, if you are buying the bike for flash and outright speed/pulling power (nothing wrong with that), you may come away disappointed and wanting something more.. If you just want to get out there and ride, the 250 is a great bike. I would personally prefer the CBR250 since its fuel injected - just easier to hop on and go and never have to worry about having the carbs done.

Note - since the Ninja 300 and CBR300 are on the market, the asking prices of the 250's should be more flexible - keep in mind the 250's are highly desirable from a resale standpoint. The kijiji ads are ludicrously high, so watch the ads over time. Maintenance is history is more important than kms.

Before you get ahead of yourself - call around for insurance quotes. Unfortunately that's the deal breaker for 95% of the potential-riders out there.
$3k a year buys you a month long backpacking-adventure some place nice (at a minimum) which you can only really do before responsibilities set in (ughhh).
I'm just going to be using the bike to get from point A to point B in town, so I doubt very much that highway riding will play a huge factor for me when buying the bike, and even if it did I would look extensively for a bike that would suit my needs. I'm mostly buying the bike because a few of my friends and I want to get into the sport and all plan on taking the safety course together. I love most motorcyles (save a few that aren't visually appealing to my personal taste), but I've always had a soft spot for those Ninja 250's because my friend's dad had one when he was first learning to ride and I would see his bike parked in the garage all the time when I was over there. Comparing the Ninja 250 and CBR250, just how much of a difference would they be in terms of being able to jump on and ride? I've never had a bike (dirtbike, motorcycle, etc) before so I'm not entirely sure how much of a difference these little things can make, but I'm very eager to learn.

Thanks for the advice regarding the whole Kijiji situation. If I find a bike that appeals to me, I'm planning on asking them a few questions along the lines of why they are selling it, if there's anything wrong with the bike, a list of things they've done to keep the bike maintained, and I'll probably bring my friend's dad (or my uncle who rides) to help me inspect the bike further.

Are there any insurance companies that would be better for me at my age/experience?

I'm new too. I'm 17 and have been riding since June. I got my m2 almost 1 year ago come late August or September and got my g2 today lol. I'm also graduated. I took the motorcycle safety course at RTI which I recommend u take. (doesn't have to be RTI and it will save ur life) trust me

MY INSURANCE

2009 hyosung gt250r
250cc
I'm 17
Almost 1year on m2
Liability only
Clean record
Safety course
Out in Durham

$2020 a year

Try desjardins they were the only ones that would touch me

I bought my bike for $800 (damaged) spent $1300-$1500 to fix it. Bought my gear for less than $600 helmet, gloves, and jacket (on sale lol) safety course $450 I think. $2020 insurance. Ur looking at $6k-$7k.

Payed it all on my own.
Dont worry bout ur hight I'm 5'5 and can touch the ground fine( almost flat foot). My bike is almost the same size as a 600cc

I'm new too. I'm 17 and have been riding since June. I got my m2 almost 1 year ago come late August or September and got my g2 today lol. I'm also graduated. I took the motorcycle safety course at RTI which I recommend u take. (doesn't have to be RTI and it will save ur life) trust me

MY INSURANCE

2009 hyosung gt250r
250cc
I'm 17
Almost 1year on m2
Liability only
Clean record
Safety course
Out in Durham

$2020 a year

Try desjardins they were the only ones that would touch me

I bought my bike for $800 (damaged) spent $1300-$1500 to fix it. Bought my gear for less than $600 helmet, gloves, and jacket (on sale lol) safety course $450 I think. $2020 insurance. Ur looking at $6k-$7k.

Payed it all on my own.
Dont worry bout ur hight I'm 5'5 and can touch the ground fine( almost flat foot). My bike is almost the same size as a 600cc
Thanks man, glad to see there is someone in the same situation as me!

Back
Top Bottom