Astronomy and 2 wheels | GTAMotorcycle.com

Astronomy and 2 wheels

Sounds like a great way to get out to the boonies and stargaze!

I am actually into it. Just came back from a one night 2-up camping trip with the squeeze. I don't have a fancy telescope, but I use that iPad app that points out what things are in the sky and where try are.

I've always wanted to buy a cheapo telescope and go out to the boonies but I'd be weary about travelling into the dark with all the animals and stuff. You would probably need to go far out of the GTA (unless you are far out already)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome guys. You don't need a fancy telescope or advanced astrophotography equipment to get into it. You can start with binoculars. As long as you're observing the skies, it's still counts as amateur astronomy. :thumbup:

By the way, you only need to travel 30 to 45 minutes outside of the city glow to find skies dark enough to make out the 'milky way cloud' that you see in astronomy photos.

This is probably a long shot, but I was wondering if there was anyone else into astronomy. I am. But this new motorcycle hobby is getting in the way haha. It is already August and I'm yet to take my telescope out in the field.

If you are a hot girl, then yes, I am very interested in astronomy.

We've been up to the Dark Sky Preserve at Torrance Barrens on Southwood Road a few times to go stargazing.

I went once by bike, it was a horrible idea: tiptoeing back on SW13 in the darkness and a long and cold 2-hours back to Toronto.

Much better to cage it, then you can bring your telescope, hot beverages, lawnchair, etc.

We've been up to the Dark Sky Preserve at Torrance Barrens on Southwood Road a few times to go stargazing.

I went once by bike, it was a horrible idea: tiptoeing back on SW13 in the darkness and a long and cold 2-hours back to Toronto.

Much better to cage it, then you can bring your telescope, hot beverages, lawnchair, etc.

Yes I've done the same thing. It's a long, cold, slow ride along 13

@Lightcycle: I almost went there last October when Terence Dickinson was a featured speaker. It must be really dark up there. I only go to Long Sault Conservation Area and my astronomy club's private dark sky site in Orono. If ever I ride to a dark sky site, I can only bring my binoculars. But at least I get to do 2 of my favorite activities in one night. :D

@SeaBreez: Thanks for the heads up. Actually, you won't need dark skies for these 2 events, but hope for a cloudless sky. But for anyone interested in deep sky observations, you can download these free sky charts with a list of featured objects updated every month: http://skymaps.com/downloads.html

Clear skies!

I only check out the stars when I've been out on a dock having a few pints and counting shooting stars and wishing for Kate Upton to appear. I'm sure one day those wishes will come true and I'll show all of you who's the crazy one around here!

I'm sure a late night bike ride with the woman would make her a little bit excited that shes allowed to leave the kitchen. Thanks for the idea!

If I recall the Dark Skies Reserve is just off Southwood Road....just sayin'. lol

[But at least I get to do 2 of my favorite activities in one night. :D]

@SeaBreez: Thanks for the heads up. Actually, you won't need dark skies for these 2 events, but hope for a cloudless sky. But for anyone interested in deep sky observations, you can download these free sky charts with a list of featured objects updated every month: http://skymaps.com/downloads.html

Clear skies![/QUOTE]

Just an excuse to get on the bike!

I saw a telescope for sale at Habitat for Humanity Restore in Brampton this morning but it was marked "As is". Not knowing anything about them I passed. It was $100.00.

What is a reasonable entry point $ wise for an occasional stalker / user. I've seen binoculars so cheaply made that the naked eye was better.

I saw a telescope for sale at Habitat for Humanity Restore in Brampton this morning but it was marked "As is". Not knowing anything about them I passed. It was $100.00.

What is a reasonable entry point $ wise for an occasional stalker / user. I've seen binoculars so cheaply made that the naked eye was better.

For a beginner, I think $200 to $300 is reasonable. I would recommend a computer-guided refractor telescope, just to keep you interested until you are ready to learn more. With a computer-guided mount, you will spend more time observing than hunting for objects. It also automatically keeps the object in the viewfinder so that it does not drift out of view as the earth rotates. I posted a video review of a Meade refractor telescope that I bought on Kijiji in my channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7Rz2OiP8r0RWP5V_UHQ4j_P8oRS8x6EV

If I recall the Dark Skies Reserve is just off Southwood Road....just sayin'. lol

officially it's the east side of Muskoka Rd 13, a few km south of 169. There are also a few nice hiking trails in the area

Back
Top Bottom