Hope you can offer some help to a car problem | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hope you can offer some help to a car problem

Jay72

Site Supporter
Hope someone can offer some advise as to what to do or how this happens.

Well we picked up a new to us Kia Sedona on Friday, and when driving it home from Burlinton to London area while I was doing 120 on the highway I was thinking I didn't feel as if I was going that fast plus other cars were flying past me. Anyways I plugged the GPS in and sure enough I was reading 14 kms below 120. As I went slower the difference was a bit less but none the less it's still off by quite a bit. Now I know there is an allowance for +/- but not this much. So what I am wondering what can cause this and can the dealership have the speedo recalibrated?

Thanks for any suggestions..

Jay

What size tires are on the car currently? and what size (according to the sticking on the door plate) should be on the car?

Yeah I picked up a 2015 Scion FRS and I'm getting similar numbers. If you get any answers it will help me out as well.

It has the correct tires... Supposed to have 225 70R-16. And that's what's on it. I am not super concerned as they are going to fix it, but I have had many many vehicles over the years and never this off... Its even worse than my bike.
I have done a bunch of research online and it doesn't seem to be a common problem with any make. Some can just be reprogrammed some need the speed sensor replaced and some need a new speedometer replaced in the cluster.

Yeah I picked up a 2015 Scion FRS and I'm getting similar numbers. If you get any answers it will help me out as well.
That's much cooler than my van. Lol
Have you called the dealer? If it's as bad as my van that doesn't seem right..brand new?? Very cool car though. My van is going in Friday... Sucks as I am on nights all week and now have to go back to Burlington Friday and try and sleep at some point too. I will keep you posted as I find out and in the mean time hopefully one of our mechanic members can chime in a and maybe have some cause to this.

That's much cooler than my van. Lol
Have you called the dealer? If it's as bad as my van that doesn't seem right..brand new?? Very cool car though. My van is going in Friday... Sucks as I am on nights all week and now have to go back to Burlington Friday and try and sleep at some point too. I will keep you posted as I find out and in the mean time hopefully one of our mechanic members can chime in a and maybe have some cause to this.
I haven't called the dealer maybe I should see if they'll do it. I'll also check the ft86 forums to see if its maybe a recurring issue

How worn are the tires on the van? On my last car, worn tires made the speedo another 5% optimistic.

It has the correct tires... Supposed to have 225 70R-16. And that's what's on it. I am not super concerned as they are going to fix it, but I have had many many vehicles over the years and never this off... Its even worse than my bike.
I have done a bunch of research online and it doesn't seem to be a common problem with any make. Some can just be reprogrammed some need the speed sensor replaced and some need a new speedometer replaced in the cluster.

Also depends on the manufacturer of the tire. I sell offroad tires and they can be out inches from what the actual printed size is on the tire itself. Also depending on the GPS I have seen the combination of the GPS and the Speedo add up to 10% +. Honda and Mazda have gone through class action lawsuits in regards to how far off their speedo's were. Think if you were leasing you would get to your km limit way quicker causing you to have to purchase additional km. It also assists the manufacturer with better fuel economy ratings.

Thanks for the replies guys, so the tires are actually 60r and are supposed to be 70r. But with some searching online there are calculators that calculate the difference in speed readings. And the difference between what the van is supposed to have and the tires on it only calculates to 4 to 6 kms.
I spoke to the dealer today and his shop for an says he is positive it's the tires, which are practically new, I still don't think its just the tires because its off by 15 kms at around 110 to 120. Then they start telling men it's allowable. There is no way that much of a difference is allowed, I could see 5 or 6 but not that much.
Anyways I am taking it back in on Friday after work and hopefully it will get sorted out.

I assume you bought the car safetied, in case you want to cause a stink, safety regulations state that the tires cannot be smaller than originally specced.

And has been mentioned above, there are variances in tires size between manufacturers.

I assume you bought the car safetied, in case you want to cause a stink, safety regulations state that the tires cannot be smaller than originally specced.

And has been mentioned above, there are variances in tires size between manufacturers.

Do I have a case that even that small of a difference shouldnt have been saftied?

delete me

Sorry another question...the way that is worded, how do I find out the "minimum tire size recommended by manufacturer" I googled and and can't find anything.

What's the oem spec size tire? Should be a sticker on the inside of the d/s door, nothing below that, pretty sure tirerack.com also has an oem tire size finder.

What's the oem spec size tire? Should be a sticker on the inside of the d/s door, nothing below that, pretty sure tirerack.com also has an oem tire size finder.

The oem tire size in the manual and the door is 225 70R-16 and the tires on it now are 225 60r 16.
Thats what I was getting at, I found a tire size difference and the difference in Those two tires should only be maximum 6 kms. I used two gps units and they both read way more than that, especially the faster I go. Its going in on Friday and the salesman is a very close friend of the family and we have bought many cars from him and they have always taken care of me. I just wanted some ammunition in case they say well it passed safety so we are doing nothing.
And to me that big of a difference on the speedo is unacceptable, I thought I was doing 120 on the way home from picking it up and turns out I was only doing 108...
I will post what the cause and solution is.
Sales guys said his shop foreman said it was most likely the tires and I think there is more to it, speed sensor or maybe even the speedo is screwed.
Anyways thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Jay

The oem tire size in the manual and the door is 225 70R-16 and the tires on it now are 225 60r 16.
Thats what I was getting at, I found a tire size difference and the difference in Those two tires should only be maximum 6 kms. I used two gps units and they both read way more than that, especially the faster I go. Its going in on Friday and the salesman is a very close friend of the family and we have bought many cars from him and they have always taken care of me. I just wanted some ammunition in case they say well it passed safety so we are doing nothing.
And to me that big of a difference on the speedo is unacceptable, I thought I was doing 120 on the way home from picking it up and turns out I was only doing 108...
I will post what the cause and solution is.
Sales guys said his shop foreman said it was most likely the tires and I think there is more to it, speed sensor or maybe even the speedo is screwed.
Anyways thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Jay

6-7km/h is caused by the tires, add in another 5-10% the speedos usually read lower and there is your answer.

Back
Top Bottom