Bike gets stuck in third gear. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike gets stuck in third gear.

Travis25

Hey guys have a question. I bought a 2014 klr650 awhile ago have 2500 miles on it and sometimes when im riding it for along time ill be slowing to a stop and click down to first but it gets stuck in between 3 and fourth so i have to fidget the shifter up and down and its super hard to get it back into gear any idea what this is?

Have a look at the shift mech I just had a similar problem with one of my racebikes. The retaining disc loosened and allowed the small pins that the detent arm/forks engage to miss. In my case I couldnt get beyond second, Its a simple look to tell. When looking check the bushings that the shaft ride in. If they are worn it can cause the whole mech to run offset

Another thing to check is the clutch cable adjustment. It's possible that the clutch cable has stretched, being new, and you need to adjust the cable length and free-play at the handle. If the cable stretched, it's not disengaging the clutch enough and the transmission will seem hard to shift.

ill be slowing to a stop and click down to first but it gets stuck in between 3 and fourth
Are you letting the clutch back out with every downshift or are you trying to click it from fourth down to first all in one go? Good luck with that.

Are you letting the clutch back out with every downshift or are you trying to click it from fourth down to first all in one go? Good luck with that.
I tend to switch between letting the clutch out between shifts and clicking it all down in one go depending on the stopping situation. It's not an abnormal thing to do and the bikes are certainly capable of it.

I tend to switch between letting the clutch out between shifts and clicking it all down in one go depending on the stopping situation. It's not an abnormal thing to do and the bikes are certainly capable of it.
Must be every bike I've ever owned doesn't like to do that at slow speeds :)

Back
Top Bottom