First Track Day Thoughts, Impressions, and Pics | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Track Day Thoughts, Impressions, and Pics

SweetOnion did you find that 2nd gear through the infield was the sweet spot, or were you using 3rd? I'm running stock gearing right now, and found once I got down into 2nd coming into turn 2, I stayed there until exiting 12 onto the straight. With our powerband being so narrow and high in the rpm range I found 3rd gear to be much too slow, but that could be because I wasn't carrying enough corner speed through a lot of areas keep the RPM's up in 3rd

Good read, Xuryfluous. Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize how exhausting this could be and that you need to be physically fit. You have shown me that this is indeed a sport.

Thanks! And neither did I, I figured if anything it would take a large toll on the upper body, but boy was I wrong, my brain never processed how much work your legs have to do, fitness is definitely an important part of this sport

next time I'm gonna bring some gatorade or powerade
Don't do it. So much sugar and food colouring and chemicals in that crap. Might feel fine for the morning but you'll crash hard in the afternoon. Coconut water is all you need for hydration, and a few bananas and Pedialyte and you'll feel as good in the afternoon as you do in the morning :)

Don't do it. So much sugar and food colouring and chemicals in that crap. Might feel fine for the morning but you'll crash hard in the afternoon. Coconut water is all you need for hydration, and a few bananas and Pedialyte and you'll feel as good in the afternoon as you do in the morning :)

Funny, I drink probably 6 G2 gatorades over a race weekend along with +10L of water and feel fine. Far less sugar in the G2 than the regular stuff.

I knew things were getting serious when Brian P cracked the Monster Energy 20 mins before his race lol

I drink two rockstars back to back before each race lol

Funny, I drink probably 6 G2 gatorades over a race weekend along with +10L of water and feel fine. Far less sugar in the G2 than the regular stuff.
I know it works for some people, never worked at all for me :( such bad throbbing headaches in the afternoons, complete loss of energy. I asked my friend in Texas who did a track day when it was 42c how he did it, he said coconut water, Pedialyte, bananas. I've been doing that my last two track days and NO problems in the afternoon. No headaches, lots of energy, not thirsty at all. I know some people can get the whole day done with gatorade, but not me :(

i find that im good for the morning and then around lunch i crash a little once the food coma sets in, so about 20 minutes before lunch ends i sneak off in to my truck and inhale a huge bag of blow. youd be blown away at how fast i make it around the track. sure i may miss 6 or 7 corners and turn the track in to a giant rectangle...

glad you had fun corey, we're gonna go back again in sept, ill let you know when so you can find your way to my place again for a ride. each track day is a little different, ive been there where intermediate group is nice and quick and other days like this sat where a hand full of guys should have gone to beginner group as they were causing a traffic jam while riding up right in the corners, so each track day is different, sometimes you get a decent group of green guys to run around with too. just stick with it and once you get to know the track better jump up to intermediate and follow those guys around, remember you only get faster by chasing those who are faster than you. maybe we can convince jon to to come out next time too. just stick with it and we'll work on trail braking next

I drink two rockstars back to back before each race lol
No wonder you want to wheelie so much on the cooldown lap

spike_lime_caution.jpg

I know it works for some people, never worked at all for me :( such bad throbbing headaches in the afternoons, complete loss of energy. I asked my friend in Texas who did a track day when it was 42c how he did it, he said coconut water, Pedialyte, bananas. I've been doing that my last two track days and NO problems in the afternoon. No headaches, lots of energy, not thirsty at all. I know some people can get the whole day done with gatorade, but not me :(

If you hydrate properly it won't be an issue. Start drinking +3L of water for two days prior to your track day.

I always park near the bathroom because I'm in there every 20min.

If you hydrate properly it won't be an issue. Start drinking +3L of water for two days prior to your track day.

I always park near the bathroom because I'm in there every 20min.

I park near the washroom cause I'm old

No wonder you want to wheelie so much on the cooldown lap

spike_lime_caution.jpg

Totally, I'm ready for 12 more laps!

If I don't drink any for four days after, it averages out rite????

SweetOnion did you find that 2nd gear through the infield was the sweet spot, or were you using 3rd? I'm running stock gearing right now, and found once I got down into 2nd coming into turn 2, I stayed there until exiting 12 onto the straight. With our powerband being so narrow and high in the rpm range I found 3rd gear to be much too slow, but that could be because I wasn't carrying enough corner speed through a lot of areas keep the RPM's up in 3rd

Yes, I definitely keep it in second... I tried going up into 3rd a couple times into 6, but that was pretty much pointless as a downshift was coming virtually immediately afterwards. If I changed my rear sprocket, even up one or two teeth though, I am pretty sure I would be using 3rd gear down the short straight into 6.

Also, I have heard rumors that fast people are actually able to make turn 2 in 3rd gear... but my buddy on the gixxer hasn't got the balls to do it on slicks so there is no way I am going to. :D

My bike is current gen and is terrible in the sub 10,000 rpm range and then it cracks itself open as the ECU limits the throttle from opening past 60% until so.. even with my PCV. Up until someone finally passed me, I didn't have the balls to ride in the 9-10000 rpm range mid corner because I was afraid it would do something wild on me. So, sometimes I would be topping it out coming out of a corner and need to shift in a really crucial moment of acceleration... no quickshifter either, so... things to work on

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom