First Track Day Thoughts, Impressions, and Pics | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Track Day Thoughts, Impressions, and Pics

Xuryfluous

Site Supporter
So yesterday was my first track day ever, and I wanted to share my impressions coming from a complete rookie. It's probably going to be a long post, but I want to share a break down of my day, and who better to share it with than you guys. It was the most exhilirating day I've had this year by far, and completely blew beyond my expectations. The most fun I've had on 2 wheels and I've been on some fun group rides. I had to work until 10:30 the night before, and had to be up by 4 to catch my ride to the track, so I was a bit tired, but the bike was loaded up quickly, gear packed up and we were on the road.

The tiredness went away after a Tim's stop, then the nervous excitement started coming on. The closer we got to the track, the more it built up. From pitching the canopies to clearing tech the rest of the morning was a blur. The riders meeting was informative, some of the guys there looked pretty bored during this part, but I'm guessing once you've been through a couple of them you probably know what they are going to say. The groups went backwards from what I expected, Advanced went out first, then intermediate, then the beginner. I rather liked the way that ran, it gave me 30 minutes to watch the experienced guys go around, which was nice. I'm a very competitve person, and knowing the guys I went with are way faster and much more experienced, I only had myself to beat, so my goal for the day was finish in what would be considered a 'good' lap time. They said if I hit the mid to high 1:30's as a good time for a first time track rider, especially one with not of riding experience; so I had my goal for the day set.

When the 5 minute warning went off, all the nerves came back. Waiting for the 2 sighting laps to start, waiting in line with all the other riders, I had about a hundred different questions running through my mind. As soon as the instructors led us out on the first sighting lap, I was laughing at myself in my helmet, everything that I was neverous about just seemed really silly, by the end of the first sighting lap I was ready to start going in earnest. we pulled off so we could get back on spaced out.

First Session

It did not feel like 15 minutes at all, really it felt more like 5. I felt like another 2 or 3 laps would have greatly benefitted me; it felt like just as soon as I was finding good braking braking and turn in points, the checkered flag was out and we had to come in. I really wasn't pushing myself too much until maybe the last lap, and didn't have anyone timing me, but im sure I was up in the mid to high 1:40's

Second Session

I really felt like I found a groove in the 2nd session, and started to find the parts of the track that I liked and didnt. If I had open track infront of me I was able to find more speed and brake later coming into the turns. I found in this sessions I'm much stronger on rights than lefts, I was strong on turns 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, and 12. Turns 4,5,6,7,8 were defintely weak points.
Lap traffic was starting to cause some setbacks, with not being able to pass in the corners if I didn't get in front of them by turn 2, I was stuck behind them for the entire infield. This session I discovered that I LOVE the brakes. I was consistently out braking everyone in green group into turn one and into turn two. The feeling of the back getting light under heavy braking was odd at first, but after that first time it felt like an old pair of shoes.

Third Session

Very similar to the second session, i felt I was making marked improvements when I had a clear track infront of me, and I was getting faster in the infield, especially through turns 4 and 5. The hairpin at 6 never felt right for me (I know its all mental, but I did not feel comfortable carrying speed through that corner that day. I've already marked left hand turns and turn 6 in particular as a major focus for next time out), and for the life of me I could not find a consistently good line through the kink, which kept messing up my entry to turn 8. Sometimes I would hit the kink perfect, other times my line was way off. This session I would catch up to people through the infield, which was nice because I was going faster, but also frustrating because it would break my rythm. I was so focused that I missed the checkered flag at turn 9 and didn't catch it until the track entrance, so I had a parade lap so to speak.

Fourth Session

This was the last session before lunch. I started to pick up my pace even more, and had a friend timing me from the cone at turn 12. This was my second shortest session, and probably my second worst as I pulled in to make some space, and as I was coming around turn 12 to start my first flying lap we had a rider with the X on their back with an instructor on the track, and too many bikes infront of me to get by on the straight. passed between turns 1-2. caught a group of 4 riders through the infield, got a great launch out of turn 12, took 1 on the straight and 3 on the brakes into turn 1, flew through 2-5 (I had finally found a good line into 4 that let me get awesome drive into 5, everything going swimmingly until turn 8, rode up on the kerbing and felt the front slide loose until it hit tarmac. scary as all hell and slowed me down some, then through turn 9 ended up dragging my toe when I wasn't expecting it and gave me a bit of a fright yet again. The last lap of the session the bike felt really really slow through the infield, to the point where I was worried I might have broke something, but nothing sounded off. realized coming out of turn 8 I had been running in 3rd gear instead of second. Score one for rider error. At the end of the session I had a best lap of 1:37.00. At that point I set my goal to a time of 1:33.00

Fifth Session

After having a much needed lunch break, I hit the track for the 5th session of the day. The guys I went up with were telling me I should bump up from beginner to intermediate because I was only getting a clear track every other lap because of lap traffic and my pace was good enough to move up. I decided to stay in beginner, the guys in intermediate were running much quicker times and I just didn't feel ready. I didn't have anyone timing my laps this session, but I defintely felt quicker at times, and felt like I was making improvements in the infield, but I was very hit or miss on turn 1. On flying laps I'm near the top of 4th coming off the straight, but from a standstill I'm at the top of 3rd. Twice from a standstill I dropped 2 gear throwing the bike down into first, thankfully the slipper clutch ate most of it but both times the rear end went all squirlley, first time on the first lap, 2nd time after we cleared the track for a crash and heading back out. I had some good laps, but no idea what times I was running

Sixth Session

Best session for me of the day. I felt good in every area, even the hairpin was getting easier. I had solidified my line through 4 and 5, even passing some riders on the small straight between 5 and 6 on the brakes. I was still having troubles keeping to a good line through the kink, but was gaining confidence taking turn 8 at a higher speed, and turns 10 through 12 were my absolute favorites in this session, I just found such a nice flowing line through 10 that I could stay on the gas through the entire turn to setup 11 and 12 as one flowing corner, one of the best feelings of the day was going through that section. My braking was improving coming off the straight, upto where I was braking later than I was previous sessions but slowing down way too much and carrying not as much speed through the turn as I should have been (something else to work on next track day). Lap traffic started to become an issue again this session, but felt like I had some quality laps in, I even felt the knee get down twice in turn 9 (along with my damn toe). As soon as I seen the checkered flag on turn 9 I was both really excited and a little disappointed, excited because I felt I was close, if not there for my 1:33.00 goal, and disappointed because I honestly felt I was on my fastest lap of the day, but that's life. I still had the biggest **** eating grin coming through the pit exit, pumping my fists, you'd think I just won something. Fastest lap of the session was a 1:31.23.

Session Seven

Wost session of the day for me. I finally bumped up into intermediate, and with how the grouping went I only had 15 mins from ending my beginner session to getting out with the intermediate boys. I only completed 2 laps before pulling in and calling it quits for the day. First lap down into first going into turn 1 again. through the entire infield I was just a shade late on everything, running slightly wide on some corners I was consistent through all day. came around for lap 2, into turn 1 and I got a false neutral. Scariest moment of the day for me, carrying way too much speed than I was ready for and the apex coming up fast. finally got the bike back into 2nd and almost blew the corner. I realized that I was dog tired. I was so exhausted I didn't realize it. I got around the rest of the track as fast as I could safely go (sorry to anyone here that was running intermediate that I may have slowed up). No times for this session.

Session Eight

DNS

End of the Day

I had a great day, not as good as some, better than many others (at least in my opinion). A couple crashes happened, but we didn't hear anything about serious injuries, someone in beginner blew corner 1 and the ambulance was down there for about 10-15 mins, but didn't leave the park from what we could tell from where we were pitted (practically against the grand stands for the drag strip). Watching my friends tear around in expert was jaw dropping, and I got just as excited when they set their personal best times as when I set mine. I learned more about riding fast in one day at the track than I have since I got my bike riding on the streets.

Tips I picked up as a new rider

- make sure to exercise before hand. I try to stay pretty active, but haven't been to the gym in quite awhile, and have been going for quick paced walks instead of running, and my legs took a beating. Don't underestimate the physical toll the track will take on your body, especially the lower body

- Body positioning and smooth throttle control. Honestly these were the two main things I was focusing on the entire day, and even though I made a good amount of progress, I still have a long long way to go, but its a start. Don't worry about getting knee down. with proper body position and good throttle control you'll build confidence to keep higher corner speeds, and with that will come the better lean angles, and that will lead to scraping pegs and pucks. Which leads me to...

- Make sure everything is proper, especially on the bike. My right peg is broken and missing about 1/4 inch, which doesn't effect street riding, but as I found out at the track I don't have enough space on the peg to put my foot on when leaning off the bike, as soon as the knee comes out, it turns my foot and points my toe down. I was dragging toe well before my knee got anywhere near the ground, so thats a definite needs to be fixed.

- Hydration is key. drink lots of water, even if you don't feel thirsty. also bring advil or something similar, helps with little aches and pains, or the odd headache you might get if you forget to hydrate

- If you can, find some good people to go with. It will make all the difference in the world, especially if they are experienced. They know more than you do, and the advice they will give is to keep you fast and more importantly, SAFE

I'm always looking for feedback, tips, and advice, please share away, and if anyone here was running in green group let me know, we may have crossed paths

Now on to the pics!

4lrA9H2.jpg

VH4LxRF.jpg

HsNVpZc.jpg

I call this one "Fat Man on a Little Bike"

qk8lJ4t.jpg

great write up! Glad to hear another rider hooked on track riding. I wouldn't worry so much about lap times...try to be smooth and consistent in your lines and don't try to get ahead of yourself. A crash isn't fun and getting hurt sucks arse. Honestly though I'm impressed you can remember what you did each session...I cant even remember much of the previous session nevermind the whole day !

Nice write-up, I enjoyed reading that. Flirting with 1:30 is indeed a very good first outing at TMP. Congratulations.

I am not saying that your body position is terrible or anything, but you definitely want to work on your body / leg / foot position so that you can consistently have your knee down before your toe. Probably you want to get your head and shoulders further to the inside of the turn (in the photos your head is pretty much inline with the steering stem, maybe even a little outside of it). That'll require you to straighten your left arm a fair bit in right turns. At any rate as you add corner speed you are going to need to get more weight to the inside to preserve lean angle.

Glad you enjoyed. Sounds like you will be back?

I user the lap times as progress reports, I like the fact that I don't know what times I'm running until the end of the session, when I'm out there I'm only focusing on the next turn or string of turns if its turn 2-3, or 4-5, or 10-11-12. I know I have to get more comfortable leaning off on the left, I found turn 4 to be the best for that, it really helped me get a little further off every time, keeping up the speed a little more every time. My size feels like a real detriment to body position, I can't get my leg into the groove of the tank and my ass back to where it should be. I think I'm going to look into adjustable rearsets for next season, if the pegs were back an inch or so I think I would be able to get back and keep my leg where it needs to be

2a2u9yby.jpg

That's my right peg. I can't get the ball of my foot to stay on when I'm off the bike without my toes pointing straight down, it was rather annoying and kept me from getting off and over as much as I felt I could have. And your racing blog was what gave me the idea of the write up. Hopefully the pocketbook has the room to get me out once more this year, if not then next year for sure!

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed yourself out there, sounds like you had a blast. IMO There is so much to learn on your first time out that lap times should not be a priority. Trying to figure things out on your own can be a little intimidating, it's always a good idea (if the option is available) to ask a faster, more experienced rider to lead you around for a session or two. Pictures look great by the way, if I didn't know this was your first time out, I'd have a hard time guessing it. ;) That being said, as YellowDuck mentioned, if you're dragging toes then you need to work on your body position and that will come with seat time.

PS: I'd do something about that peg ASAP, even if it's just an OEM replacement.

Good luck!

Awesome writeup, I really enjoyed reading that. I have yet to book my first actual track day but it looks like I'll be going alone if I can make it out this year. Your writeup is helping to take some of the nerves out.

That's my right peg. I can't get the ball of my foot to stay on when I'm off the bike without my toes pointing straight down, it was rather annoying and kept me from getting off and over as much as I felt I could have. And your racing blog was what gave me the idea of the write up. Hopefully the pocketbook has the room to get me out once more this year, if not then next year for sure!

Quite a few of us actually run with the outside of our foot on the peg and the ball of our foot on the master or heel guard of the rear sets. Allows a more natural movement of the knee out. It's also what is taught at many of the race schools. Also when it comes to body position most of the time your *** should be almost off your seat and you are more likely to be on your thigh. Both these things come with practice and time.

- Hydration is key. drink lots of water, even if you don't feel thirsty. also bring advil or something similar, helps with little aches and pains, or the odd headache you might get if you forget to hydrate
Try coconut water (O.N.E. brand or look for one with no added sugar) to stay hydrated and Pedialyte (unflavoured, lol :( ) to replace electrolytes. Really works amazing, especially to prevent that afternoon headache.

1:3x is a great time for first track day ever. Nice work man.

What tires were you running? Were you checking your pressures?

Great write up indeed.

I was riding in the Intermediate group on the uhh.. Primer'd Out R6, with the Rossi 5 Continents helmet.

I had a pretty good day. This was my first day on my R6, but I had been to 5 or 6 on my SV 3 summers ago. My fastest time on my SV was 1:30.5 or so...

First session on the R6, I was focusing on being smooth on the throttle when the bike was still leaned over, and just getting to know how it behaves while cranked over and hitting the spectacular bumps at TMP... It had been quite a while, so although I completely remembered the track layout, the actual location of the bumps was a bit lost.

Anyway, on my 3rd lap or so, I am coming out of the final corner onto the straight and I get on the gas pretty hard in second and as I start to stand the bike back up, I hit this giant hump and get the biggest tank slapper of my life... Probably doing about 130-140ish, so I almost crapped my pants. As I was coming into turn 6, the bearded Marshall decided to black flag me because maybe he could see the stain in my pants, I don't know... but I came in and the guy on the wall didn't have a problem with me, just wanted to tell me how great of a tank slapper it was I guess haha...

So then I made sure the bike was standing up much more straight before I actually opened the gas fully. That was the first time I wheelied mid corner, so ... bit of a wild moment.

Anyway, I got smoother as the day went on... ended up finally getting passed by one rider on what I think was a GSXR1000 on the straight away after I totally botched the final corner.. he pulled away a little but I manged to hang onto him by about 50 meters until he caught another rider and couldn't get by. I passed them both at once between turn 8 and 9 (or is it 10? before the last marshall stand) and never heard from anyone else the rest of the day. The lap after that happened, my friend timed me in a low 1:24. This was 1 second lower than any type of hopeful target of my own... I had no idea of the difference between an SV and a 600.. but I was passing people on my SV in the corners so I was hoping for 5 seconds... anyway it was 6.

I still have a lot of work to do.. my suspension and their settings are still bone stock from the showroom. Also, every single track day I have done I have wound up with a headache and just physical fatigue beyond anything I have felt in my life, playing sports as a kid. As mentioned, Advil and tons, a ridiculous amount of drinks are in my cooler every time. I also bring 6 beers just in case I crash and can't ride my bike any more, and wait for my friend. Or if he does and has to wait for me...

The rain was a bit of a bummer... I did not go out once after a couple drops came down. The 3-4 guys at the end of the day that did in the pouring rain.... lol, no comment.

How was that loss of traction coming onto the straight away?? That gixxer turned 90 degrees sideways and then somehow saved itself. Looked scary. :)

Last edited:
Nice to hear you took the plunge and tried the track. Keep at it :)

Awesome time! I share the same opinions bud!
That was my second track day (first i did on July 5th). I went into beginner group both times but like you i felt like my pace way good for intermediate. I do not know what my times were but on the first day my friend followed me and we did it in 1:28: x. I'm sure that I'm doing better now but feel a bit scared to go up to a more experienced group. One thing that helped me was that i tracked my car at TMP several times before...
Still have to work on my smoothness and throttle control. Also, i have some weird brakes that vibrate at low speed but work great at high speed...

My pic:
14835308605_79e02d40b5_z.jpg

Try coconut water (O.N.E. brand or look for one with no added sugar) to stay hydrated and Pedialyte (unflavoured, lol :( ) to replace electrolytes. Really works amazing, especially to prevent that afternoon headache.

1:3x is a great time for first track day ever. Nice work man.

What tires were you running? Were you checking your pressures?

I'll have to give the coconut water a try, next time I'm gonna bring some gatorade or powerade, I was just drinking straight water for most of the day. I'm running Q3's, 30 in the front and 28 in the rear. I was checking them about every other session

Awesome writeup, I really enjoyed reading that. I have yet to book my first actual track day but it looks like I'll be going alone if I can make it out this year. Your writeup is helping to take some of the nerves out.

I'm glad it was able to quell some of your pre-track nerves. I was more nervous than I thought I would be, the track is such a different beast than the street, but they will have instructors that will take your group around for a lap or 2, and your nerves will calm during that, then the adrenaline and excitement will kick in. You'll have a blast, enjoy!

Quite a few of us actually run with the outside of our foot on the peg and the ball of our foot on the master or heel guard of the rear sets. Allows a more natural movement of the knee out. It's also what is taught at many of the race schools. Also when it comes to body position most of the time your *** should be almost off your seat and you are more likely to be on your thigh. Both these things come with practice and time.

That is an awesome piece of advice, I will definitely be trying that method, thanks! And it's crazy how far off the bike you can feel without actually being off the bike, it felt like the edge of the seat was running along my *** crack with one cheek on and one cheek off, but the pictures make it look like I'm just sitting almost upright; but like you said that will improve with practice and more seat time

Great write up indeed.

I was riding in the Intermediate group on the uhh.. Primer'd Out R6, with the Rossi 5 Continents helmet.

I had a pretty good day. This was my first day on my R6, but I had been to 5 or 6 on my SV 3 summers ago. My fastest time on my SV was 1:30.5 or so...

First session on the R6, I was focusing on being smooth on the throttle when the bike was still leaned over, and just getting to know how it behaves while cranked over and hitting the spectacular bumps at TMP... It had been quite a while, so although I completely remembered the track layout, the actual location of the bumps was a bit lost.

Anyway, on my 3rd lap or so, I am coming out of the final corner onto the straight and I get on the gas pretty hard in second and as I start to stand the bike back up, I hit this giant hump and get the biggest tank slapper of my life... Probably doing about 130-140ish, so I almost crapped my pants. As I was coming into turn 6, the bearded Marshall decided to black flag me because maybe he could see the stain in my pants, I don't know... but I came in and the guy on the wall didn't have a problem with me, just wanted to tell me how great of a tank slapper it was I guess haha...

So then I made sure the bike was standing up much more straight before I actually opened the gas fully. That was the first time I wheelied mid corner, so ... bit of a wild moment.

Anyway, I got smoother as the day went on... ended up finally getting passed by one rider on what I think was a GSXR1000 on the straight away after I totally botched the final corner.. he pulled away a little but I manged to hang onto him by about 50 meters until he caught another rider and couldn't get by. I passed them both at once between turn 8 and 9 (or is it 10? before the last marshall stand) and never heard from anyone else the rest of the day. The lap after that happened, my friend timed me in a low 1:24. This was 1 second lower than any type of hopeful target of my own... I had no idea of the difference between an SV and a 600.. but I was passing people on my SV in the corners so I was hoping for 5 seconds... anyway it was 6.

I still have a lot of work to do.. my suspension and their settings are still bone stock from the showroom. Also, every single track day I have done I have wound up with a headache and just physical fatigue beyond anything I have felt in my life, playing sports as a kid. As mentioned, Advil and tons, a ridiculous amount of drinks are in my cooler every time. I also bring 6 beers just in case I crash and can't ride my bike any more, and wait for my friend. Or if he does and has to wait for me...

The rain was a bit of a bummer... I did not go out once after a couple drops came down. The 3-4 guys at the end of the day that did in the pouring rain.... lol, no comment.

How was that loss of traction coming onto the straight away?? That gixxer turned 90 degrees sideways and then somehow saved itself. Looked scary. :)

Glad to hear you were able to ride that out, tank slappers are no fun at all. I could feel the front wheel wiggle coming down the straights when it would float under hard acceleration, I ended up getting so used to it I didn't even notice it by the end lol. And Did a gixxer almost eat it on the straight on Sunday too? One of the guys I went with lost traction coming out of turn 12 on his, and when the bike hooked back up it almost through him off the bike and over the concrete wall. It looked pretty scary from his go-pro footage

Glad to hear you were able to ride that out, tank slappers are no fun at all. I could feel the front wheel wiggle coming down the straights when it would float under hard acceleration, I ended up getting so used to it I didn't even notice it by the end lol. And Did a gixxer almost eat it on the straight on Sunday too? One of the guys I went with lost traction coming out of turn 12 on his, and when the bike hooked back up it almost through him off the bike and over the concrete wall. It looked pretty scary from his go-pro footage

Yeah, I don't mind the wiggle but I never felt anything close to this before! It was like, lock to lock, to lock.... and then wiggle and finally freedom lol.

Yes, this was on Sunday. It was totally soaked at this point, otherwise the rider would have been thrown from the bike without question.

Yeah, I don't mind the wiggle but I never felt anything close to this before! It was like, lock to lock, to lock.... and then wiggle and finally freedom lol.

Yes, this was on Sunday. It was totally soaked at this point, otherwise the rider would have been thrown from the bike without question.

This will help solve your problem.

asy8yqys.jpg

This will help solve your problem.

heheh, yeah that is the general opinion. :) It's going to have to wait until winter.... until then, I will just continue to grow my balls to be the size of watermelons.

Awesome write-up! Reminds me of the excitement and nervousness of my first track day as well.

1:31 is very respectable for the first time out at TMP.

I've only been there once. You should try some other tracks, the pavement at TMP feels like you're riding off-road once you've been to a track like Calabogie! :)

Back
Top Bottom