Tightening chain | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tightening chain

Abid Jaffri

Hi. Can anyone possibly help me tightening my bike chain today? Ive never done it before before myself. I have a Hyosung gt250r.

I live in maple.

Thankyou.

Check out some youtube videos. Basic instructions: get back wheel off ground. Loosen axle nut. Move axle blocks back evenly until desired chain tightness is reached. Tighten axle nut. Done.

The worst thing you could do would be improperly tighten the axle nut... and pretty much the only way to accomplish that is to not use a torque wrench (or tighten it with grease/oil/anti-seize on the threads).

You can also overtighten the chain, which will stretch it out. Use a ruler or tape measure to gauge the slack if you're not sure.

One thing I've found to be useful was to mark both nuts with a dot of whiteout and turn them both exactly the same (easily visible thanks to the dot) until I get the desired amount of slack as per the owner's manual.

Lol i dunno if i should just wait till tomorrow and take it to the shop .. I wouldnt want to mess up cuz then ill b unable to ride to the shop too

Do it.

Remove the cotter pin and loosen the axle nut.

Move each adjuster the same amount so the wheel doesn't skew left or right as it puts wear on the chain and sprockets and will affect the handling of the bike. More than 1/8 of an inch and you will feel it in the corners and hear more chain noise.

Simply read your owners manual for instructions.

Leave slack in the chain! Most bikes call for an inch of slack at minimum. Too tight and you will put more pressure on the counter shaft bearing and prematurely stretch your chain.

It really is basic provided you leave slack and adjust the wheel on both sides evenly.

Now on to the next part:

Why is my chain stretching? Did I lube it every two tanks of gas? Have I been dumping the clutch or dragging the rear wheel with the brake?

O ring chains that are well lubricated last longer than chains that are allowed to heat up, for the O rings trap lube between the side plates and rollers, so friction and heat is reduced.

When the chain starts to stretch, it begins to wear out faster, so once you tighten it for the first time, checking it should be included in your pre ride check.

Now is also the time to do a couple more checks.

Pull the chain straight back from the centre of the rear sprocket. A new chain and sprocket set should pull back very little, perhaps an 1/8". Over time when you do this check you will notice that the chain is now pulling even further away from the sprocket which indicates the chain and sprockets are reaching their service limit and you should now read the owners manual and measure your chain to see if it is within spec or needs to be replaced.

Also inspect the teeth of the sprocket for wear. A new sprocket grips the chain perfectly, an older worn sprocket will have worn or deformed teeth, and if it happens on the front and or rear sprocket, it could cause the chain to skip teeth, and potentially lock up the rear wheel which totally sucks in my books.

Chain can stretch unevenly, so adjust your chain, rotate the wheel and check for slack in two other sections of the chain.

So, if you tighten, lube and inspect your own chain, you can stay on top of a good running bike as opposed to putting your safety in the hands of another.

Replacing the chain and sprockets, which should always be done together is a much more involved job that requires research and the correct tools and methods. Dirty but fairly simple when you know what you are doing.

In short, lube and adjust the chain, and check for wear. The more you ride it, the more it will wear.

Right on. You can do it!

How did it go? If you want some help later this week, I'd be willing to go through the process with you. I installed a brand new chain for my SV650 this summer, and just had to tighten and adjust the slack.

Thank u guys .. I tighten the chain but then i realized it was time to got a brand new chain.. It was loose by the sprocket area.

How much does it pull back? Pictures? How does the rear sprocket look? Google worn sprocket and compare.

It pulled back about half an inch almost. I took it to the mechanic. Told me my sprokets are good but chain is done. So i jus got a new chain.

Sprockets are cheap, replace them when you replace your chain. Will pay for themselves in longer chain life.

Back
Top Bottom