2012 R6 won't start and weird noise !!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

2012 R6 won't start and weird noise !!!

DoomedSince78

Site Supporter
Help !!!

Hey guys when I go to start my R6 this is the sound I am getting, she started fine this morning, ride from Toronto to Barrie and I wanted to go out again and now this...

http://youtu.be/ICmX670mvfw

Last edited:
Everything comes on normally though all lights signals, gauges !!!!

Can I charge it or should I buy a new one ?

Sorry I am still new to all this bike stuff but learning is fun...

Last edited:
Help !!!

Hey guys when I go to start my R6 this is the sound I am getting, she started fine this morning, ride from Toronto to Barrie and I wanted to go out again and now this...

http://youtu.be/ICmX670mvfw
Battery dead, fried, or loose terminals. I see a lot of electrical tape, what kinda ish you got hooked up? The R6's stator can BARELY put out enough power for the bike bone stock (in fact it doesn't even charge the battery at idle. If your fan comes on at idle it actually starts draining the battery!). If you have crazy HID's, neon's, LED's, etc. then the bike can't keep up. If you were stuck in traffic for a long time before parking it, that's probably what killed your battery. When they are that dead, they usually don't recover, or at least don't work nearly as good as they did before.

Pick up a Shorai or other quality lithium battery (anything except Ballistic) and you'll be set. Not sure what's open today, Pro6, etc.

Good luck.

Everything comes on normally though all lights signals, gauges !!!!

Can I charge it or should I buy a new one ?

Sorry I am still new to all this bike stuff but learning is fun...
If you have a volt meter put it on the battery, check the voltage. Then hold down the starter button, check the voltage. You'll see that the voltage drops REALLY low when you try and start it, but when not the voltage is fine, that's why the gauge and all the lights work.

You could try and charge it SLOWLY, i.e. NOT with a car charger! And for sure DO NOT BOOST the bike and drive it around to charge the battery, unless you want to spend even more money on a new stator and/or rectifier!

Most likely the battery is finished.

Battery dead, fried, or loose terminals. I see a lot of electrical tape, what kinda ish you got hooked up? The R6's stator can BARELY put out enough power for the bike bone stock (in fact it doesn't even charge the battery at idle. If your fan comes on at idle it actually starts draining the battery!). If you have crazy HID's, neon's, LED's, etc. then the bike can't keep up. If you were stuck in traffic for a long time before parking it, that's probably what killed your battery. When they are that dead, they usually don't recover, or at least don't work nearly as good as they did before.

Pick up a Shorai or other quality lithium battery (anything except Ballistic) and you'll be set. Not sure what's open today, Pro6, etc.

Good luck.

All that electrical take is the ****** job some place I bought the bike from installed a Gorilla Alarm system... I have removed it now.

Thanks for the info, I'm in Barrie so everything is closed now, I will order a new one Tuesday.

All that electrical take is the ****** job some place I bought the bike from installed a Gorilla Alarm system... I have removed it now.

Thanks for the info, I'm in Barrie so everything is closed now, I will order a new one Tuesday.
I guarantee the gorilla alarm damaged that battery so it was in fragile condition when you got it. You might want to check your parasitic draw, there could be a part of the alarm (sensor, shorted out wite, etc.) still drawing current when the key is off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

A new lithium battery will power that bike amazing, they just don't work too good under about 10 degrees celcius, so if you like to ride cold mornings/in cold weather a good old school heavy Yuasa battery might be better for you.

Do NOT buy a "no-name" brand batteriy, i.e. BikeMaster, etc.

Yuasa (tried, tested, true, weighs a ton): http://store.yuasabatteries.com/p/ytz10s

Shorai (my favourite): http://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=2036&model=7332&year=7332

Then alien motion, moty, etc. etc. Get a minimum 12 cell lithium battery if going that route. They come pre-charged and don't require a special charger. You can even fast charge them with car chargers ;)

Last edited:
Changed the battery today and she started no problems, thanks guys for all the info... I picked up a Yuasa Battery if anyone was wondering or going to ask... LOL

Changed the battery today and she started no problems, thanks guys for all the info... I picked up a Yuasa Battery if anyone was wondering or going to ask... LOL
You know I damn woulda asked!!

Keep an eye on it, if it starts to start harder and harder each time after you ride it make sure you test the stator and rectifier before you permanently damage your brand new battery!

Put a volt meter on the battery, check the voltage. Start the bike, flick on the high beams, check the voltage. Rev the engine and see if the voltage increases. Report back numbers.

Back
Top Bottom