Monday August 4th - Muskoka Awaits | GTAMotorcycle.com

Monday August 4th - Muskoka Awaits

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Headed to Muskoka area and flexible on the route. Might even go as far north as the Bunny Trail. Possible routes could be http://goo.gl/maps/gLv19 or http://goo.gl/maps/08jqf.

Leaving Mississauga hopefully by 7am and home around 5ish. Probably around 700-800km.

I will bring a lunch and find a nice scenic spot somewhere.

Pace will be responsible in the small towns, and fun in the turns. No hooligans or shenanigans. Not for beginners or M1 riders.

Post up or PM if you are interested.

Cheers!

I would go with you but to many crazies on the road heading home. I like to ride - not get stuck in traffic. LOL
Have a great ride.

I'll see if I can get up in time. I'm coming from Scarborough. If i'm not there just leave

Is there a meeting spot for this?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I'm meeting a guy I work with at the Timmies on Weston, just south of the 401 for 7am. He can only ride for about an hour or two and has to go back - then I am on my own to go wherever. I had also put together this route of some roads to check out. I've never been on a bunch of them and maybe there's some good ones. No real plan - as long as it's scenic and twisty.

I'm meeting a guy I work with at the Timmies on Weston, just south of the 401 for 7am. He can only ride for about an hour or two and has to go back - then I am on my own to go wherever. I had also put together this route of some roads to check out. I've never been on a bunch of them and maybe there's some good ones. No real plan - as long as it's scenic and twisty.
I don't mind, I'm not a picky person. I have to leave around 12pm.

I'd like to join if you could post up a meet up/time.

Good ride Shane. Thanks for showing me some nice roads. Didn't know some gems were hidden in the North

Anytime and nice to ride with you. There's lots more hidden gems up there.

edit: here's the route we took plus a hidden gem or two, but google maps wouldn't take any more points.

Last edited:
Anytime and nice to ride with you. There's lots more hidden gems up there.

edit: here's the route we took plus a hidden gem or two, but google maps wouldn't take any more points.

Bad link? It shows 404 :)

Shane

Looks like you cover lots of ground. How wet was it? And how was Upper Big Chute Rd . Bobcaygeon Rd was a mess a few weeks ago with lots of pot holes and the lads were not impressed as we were covered in cement dust.

Hey Starship,

Ride was good and it rained a heavy amount for a short bit in the morning, but then got really nice for the rest of the day. Upper Big Chute was very rainy for us, so it was difficult to tell what the road would have been like dry. It seemed nice and clean though.

Bobcaygeon Rd was in decent shape - it's a bit bumpy in spots and definitely not the best pavement to begin with, but I don't mind:) Linking that up with Deep Bay Rd #2 is nice.

By the way, I rode that Redkenn Rd the other day which leads from Kennisis Lake Rd over to the top of Haliburton Lake Rd. It was awesome. The first part of it is paved, but then when it changes to Boice Bradley Rd (points B-C on map), it turns into a single lane forest road, sometimes, dirt and sometimes a little rocky, but really easy and scenic. It saves a lot of time getting to Harburn Rd and I actually really preferred that route to going all the way back down Kennisis Lake Rd to #118 and around.

If you are ever up for it, I want to do this route (or at least some of it) and see what some of these roads are like.

Headed to Muskoka area and flexible on the route. Might even go as far north as the Bunny Trail. Possible routes could be http://goo.gl/maps/gLv19 or http://goo.gl/maps/08jqf.
I rode the Bunny Trail on Sunday. Took it up to Ardbeg, then highway 520 east to Burk's Falls, then 11 back to Orillia.

But I have never tried some of those other roads in your map. Do you know if Centenial Rd is paved? What about Nippising rd? Is there any way to go further north while staying on paved roads, while staying off hwy 11 and 400/69?

Bunny Trail is a great road for a nice cruise but it's not a road I would want to push my limits on, because while the pavement is clean and smooth, there is no dividing line so cars usually drive in the middle, and most of the corners are blind. Highway 520 is a lot better.

I believe Nippising Rd is dirt. I was on it for a few km north of 518 and it was definitely gravel. I would imagine the rest of the road is the same.

I rode the Bunny Trail on Sunday. Took it up to Ardbeg, then highway 520 east to Burk's Falls, then 11 back to Orillia.

But I have never tried some of those other roads in your map. Do you know if Centenial Rd is paved? What about Nippising rd? Is there any way to go further north while staying on paved roads, while staying off hwy 11 and 400/69?

Bunny Trail is a great road for a nice cruise but it's not a road I would want to push my limits on, because while the pavement is clean and smooth, there is no dividing line so cars usually drive in the middle, and most of the corners are blind. Highway 520 is a lot better.
Hi Dan,

Nipissing Road is only paved for a few km south of Magnetewan. It's a nice hilly twisty bit too. After that, like Matthew said, it becomes either hard packed gravel or hard packed dirt, leading up to the 518. I've led street bikes down it before and it depends on your comfort level and type of bike. I ride with with tires that are mostly street oriented and just take it slow and enjoy it for what it is.

Where is this Centenial Rd you mention?

And yes, 520 is good for being well marked and good pavement - Bunny Trail is certainly more remote, less well marked and therefore requires a bit more awareness when riding it. Regarding paved roads in the north, I think that the further north you go, (north of the Bunny Trail or Magnetewan area) the less paved roads there are that connect with each other to allow you to keep going north. There are many non-paved roads that you can take however. If you wanted to take paved roads from Burks Falls to Orillia without Highway 11 or 400, you could try something like: http://goo.gl/maps/70xLs which should have minimal, if any, non-paved roads, but be careful of Southwood Rd 13.
Or do this without Southwood: http://goo.gl/maps/H1oXE

Last edited:
Oops I meant Chemical Road, not Centenial. Thanks for the info, I think I will try Nipissing next time I am up there, if it gets too bad I can always turn back. I ride a gixxer so I don't like gravel but if it's well packed then it shouldn't be a problem as long as I keep the speed down.

Back
Top Bottom