Prince Edward Island & Return | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Prince Edward Island & Return

We stopped for breakfast and gas in St. Helene, where Suzi had a sausage 'N egg mcmuffin, the sausage and cheese part anyway. All she left me was the bun.

Riding in wet gear on a cool day is cold! I got onto Autoroute 30 and bypassed Montreal nicely, but the wind over the bridge was pushing us around, and as soon as we were back on 20 Ouest I stopped at the A&W for a coffee and a pee.

c82607054ae71cc516906b36ad6ac176.jpg

Suzi is doing great with a light wind breaker, but I need my heated vest to combat the chill in my wet jacket.. My nipples are sore!

The clouds ahead block out the sun for the most part, yet it's getting warmer and we're almost to the 401dom. Lol

Cheers from the curb in Quebec!

That massive storm system on August 13 (yesterday) was insane. I was riding from New Brunswick through Maine with every intention of hitting up some good roads in Vermont and New Hampshire.

Because of that massive rainfall, I veered North, took 30 around Montreal, and just slabbed it home. I still ended up spending about 6 hours in the rain and getting massively soaked. As I sit here on my couch at home, I regret not just finding a hotel in Vermont and just come home today...

We hit our first rain of the trip in the Adirondaks, then up and over the Camel's Hump State Park.

I would have cried if it had been raining on the Kancamangus highway or the Gaspe.

It's cutting our trip short, and I can't wait to get off the 401dom and onto my couch. :p

What kind of gear were you using to make it through that nastiness?

I had to stop for Suzi, I put her through too much wet and wind, and had to get her warm and dry last night, me as well.

ONroute Mallorytown,
Have ball, will travel...

d0e1cbcbff0092e5871e9af8cfdbde43.jpg

It's been scattered showers this morning as soon as we hooked back up with Autoroute 20/401 with two cloudbursts that didn't slow us down. Seeing rain streamers ahead really dampens the spirits, but the sun always shines through, dries out most of the gear, and lifts that rainy gloom.

It looks like we have two and a half hours of cloudy, cool, and windy road ahead of us. One more tank of gas and we're done our big trip of the year.

Annnnnd...

It's done.

The last stretch of 401dom made me nervous as I was fatigued, it was wet and the idiot factor multiplies four fold the closer you get to Coburg. By the time we hit three lanes I had the throttle lock off, my highbeam on and was in blocking position for fear of an accident less than 30 minutes from home.

I'm happy to say we made it safely even if I didn't get to see Mount Tremblant, there is always tomorrow.

Suzi perked up as the engine pitch changed as we pulled off the highway, and when we were about a kilometre away from the neighbourhood, she started fidgeting on the tank, almost dancing with eagerness to get off and out of the harness and wind breaker. I laid in bed beside that tired puppy and got my face licked.

5570km total or around 55 hours of riding this trip.

Or is it over? Not quite for my friends are expecting me at CTMP for 9 tomorrow for the CSBK double header. Complete with wet tent, sleeping bag, mattress and rainy rain gear. Lol.

I can tell you one thing, i may skip the oatmeal. :p

Now for a nice long nap...

Cheers!

Last edited:
The gear I used sucks for those conditions, I need to find better stuff.

My boots are a complete waste. They might have once been waterproof, but now they leak like a sieve. I think they are called original swat, like this: http://www.originalswat.com/product-chase-9-side-zip-black.html ... they claim to be goretex and waterproof, but are not anymore, and they take forever to dry.

I got caught in the rain and got completely soaked so I got changed into my last set of dry clothes left, and here was my getup:

Two pairs of dry socks, feet wrapped in plastic bags and inserted into soaking wet boots.

Jeans, goretex rain pants, and on top Bilt riding pants which are a bit less than waterproof and have crappy zippers.

T-shirt, hoodie, leather jacket, and goretex rain jacket on top -- not completely waterproof but enough layers that not much water got to me.

Gloves -- my velocity gloves are mostly waterproof, I think, but they are impossible to put on if my hands are wet, so I just wore my summer gloves and let my hands get wet. When I finally got past the rain I switched to the velocity gloves and turned the heat on.

Back
Top Bottom